Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to dispose of leaky leftovers after bag ban?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:19 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Climate change is a thing - it's a basic part of nature and always has been. We've been through many, many cycles of climate change throughout history & nature has always handed it beautifully. Isn't it a wonderful world that Hashem created?

Hashem created the world to run in cycles. The cycle of life. Cycles of nature. Cycles of earth. Cycles of planets, etc. This focus on one part of nature's cycle and making it out to be an impending apocalypse is a media driven, money making scheme.

I'm not familiar with the impending apocolypse. I do know that the cylces you refer to include humans making adjustments.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:31 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Out of touch about grinds of life regarding grocery buying?

Out of touch with life in general - including shopping, discarding food, leaking diapers, running into stores at the last minute to grab something, small fees affecting budgets, etc.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:34 pm
I'm not familiar with the impending apocolypse. I do know that the cylces you refer to include humans making adjustments.

Humans are mere mortals, pretty much insignificant in the scheme of the universe. The thought that humans have the power to destroy the universe is an egotistical one.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:44 pm
I used the word lazy - and I didn't accuse anyone of being lazy. I answered a quesiton about why people need to be 'forced' to make a change.

The statment you made was that you were upset (and suffering) that that you have to change something that works for you... and the truth of it is the change you are making doesn't seem to be all that upsetting.

I was smarter two pages ago when I said continuing to post about this would be sillier than the actual ban.
Now we've reached a new level. People telling me I have nothing to be upset about because it's not a difficulty, just an adjustment.
Thank you for telling us what our life is really like, that you know better than us what's good for us.
Next time I won't waste my breath.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:40 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I was smarter two pages ago when I said continuing to post about this would be sillier than the actual ban.
Now we've reached a new level. People telling me I have nothing to be upset about because it's not a difficulty, just an adjustment.
Thank you for telling us what our life is really like, that you know better than us what's good for us.
Next time I won't waste my breath.

You aren't suffering as a result of this change... your post about what these change means to you makes that clear.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:54 pm
Out of touch with life in general - including shopping, discarding food, leaking diapers, running into stores at the last minute to grab something, small fees affecting budgets, etc.

I disagree with you.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:56 pm
Humans are mere mortals, pretty much insignificant in the scheme of the universe. The thought that humans have the power to destroy the universe is an egotistical one.

I think people are focused on the earth not the universe.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:22 pm
zaq wrote:
Hoard empty beverage cartons that can be reclosed. I use produce bags if I don’t have a handy carton

Would not have pegged you as a hoarder. Lolllllll
Thought u were more like a hoard

Teomima

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 12:22 am
As for the environment, this is nothing more than an opportunity to tax and applies fees to the common man. Plastic bags compose less than 1% of our landfills. This just makes a lot of people give themselves a pat on their back that they're doing something for the environment.

This won't make even a dent in the supposed climate change. Like I said earlier, it's a feel good attempt by those out of touch.

I don't know where you got your statistics but I'll trust that you've done your research and your logic is sound. That said, the bigger danger isn't the plastic that ends up in the landfill, it's the plastic that doesn't:
https://greenerideal.com/news/.....ment/

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 1:08 am
studying_torah wrote:
Ugh I use plastic bags for so many things that won't work with cloth or paper bags. Vomiting in the car, or when someone is sick at home & can't get to toilet, for diapers, wet/dirty clothes till they're washed, bringing home leaky chicken or meat packages from the store (or while being defrosted in the fridge so they don't drip all over everything else) etc etc.

Shhhh! Don't speak so loudly. We don't want the environmentalists to go even crazier and ban disposable diapers.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 8:09 am
Teomima wrote:
I don't know where you got your statistics but I'll trust that you've done your research and your logic is sound. That said, the bigger danger isn't the plastic that ends up in the landfill, it's the plastic that doesn't:

Great article! I remember how my grandparents lived and wish that they could come back and save the planet.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 8:46 am
Oh boy. The entitlement and whining on this thread is epic. If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny. "Bubbe carts are not stylish!" "Oh no, there is something in my hand!" "You mean I actually have to remember something?" If it's really that difficult for you, I suggest you get delivery.

When Hashem gave us "dominion" over the Earth, that could also be translated as "stewardship", like the way a shepherd looks after his flock. The planet was not given into our hands for us to use and abuse as we see fit.

I'm not saying we should all go live in caves, but really, how hard is it to see the damage that microplastics are doing to the oceans? Do you like eating fish? Enjoy it while it lasts.

If you want a selfish reason, don't think of protecting the environment as a way of saving the spotted owl, or a way of protecting the Earth for your grandchildren, think of it as a way of saving your future food and other resources. https://toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/so.....stics

gamanit

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:36 am
Teomima wrote:

I liked your post because I agree that the issue is the plastic that doesn't end up in landfills but the article you linked while having nice graphics is factually incorrect. The biggest percentage of plastic trash in the ocean is discarded fishing nets (which as you can imagine still trap some fish by mistake). There is no way to determine how many fish have died due to shopping bags vs other plastic waste.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org.....nets/

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:35 am
I moved from the US to a country very much affected by climate change, and it's interesting to read all this as an "outsider". Where we live, most stores don't give plastic shopping bags, we're very much a first world country and everyone manages just fine without the plastic shopping bags.

Our government has people on the far left and far right and both parties care about the environment because when the heating Earth comes for you, it's not going to spare you based on your political affiliation.

Yes, we all need to do our part to not needlessly waste resources or harm the planet we live on.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:39 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh boy. The entitlement and whining on this thread is epic. If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny. "Bubbe carts are not stylish!" "Oh no, there is something in my hand!" "You mean I actually have to remember something?" If it's really that difficult for you, I suggest you get delivery.

When Hashem gave us "dominion" over the Earth, that could also be translated as "stewardship", like the way a shepherd looks after his flock. The planet was not given into our hands for us to use and abuse as we see fit.

I'm not saying we should all go live in caves, but really, how hard is it to see the damage that microplastics are doing to the oceans? Do you like eating fish? Enjoy it while it lasts.

If you want a selfish reason, don't think of protecting the environment as a way of saving the spotted owl, or a way of protecting the Earth for your grandchildren, think of it as a way of saving your future food and other resources. https://toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/so.....stics

Thank you for saying it nicer than I could, FF. I ended up deleting half my prior post because I couldn't think of how to say it without being more inflammatory.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:49 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I think this post is kind of.... I don't frequently buy enough groceries to get delivery. Just because it's not difficult for you doesn't mean it's simple for others. When someone pointed out that you can't have a granny cart and a stroller someone suggested getting a stroller with a bigger basket. That sounds really out of touch with reality. People are entitled to kvetch. If the topic doesn't resonate with you skip the thread. As an aside; while you mentioned that you use reusable bags, do you never use plastic shopping bags? We're all discussing a total ban, not a charge for the bags. Also, as I mentioned previously what's killing the most fish is discarded fishing nets. If you really care about fish, stop that from happening. https://www.thedodo.com/in-the.....-gear

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 12:10 pm
gamanit wrote:
I think this post is kind of.... I don't frequently buy enough groceries to get delivery. Just because it's not difficult for you doesn't mean it's simple for others. When someone pointed out that you can't have a granny cart and a stroller someone suggested getting a stroller with a bigger basket. That sounds really out of touch with reality. People are entitled to kvetch. If the topic doesn't resonate with you skip the thread. As an aside; while you mentioned that you use reusable bags, do you never use plastic shopping bags? We're all discussing a total ban, not a charge for the bags. Also, as I mentioned previously what's killing the most fish is discarded fishing nets. If you really care about fish, stop that from happening. https://www.thedodo.com/in-the.....-gear

There's kvetching and then there's calling whole idea a useless waste of time by feel good politicians..

Its a total ban on retailers providing plastic bags - not a ban on plastic.

I'm not sure of the relevence of the stroller/bubby cart sidebar of this. If you were lugging groceries home before in plastic - the change is the lugging in reusualbe bags - which come in many sizes.

I hear the annoyance of dropping into the grocery with only a wallet (or phone) to pick up a few things and finding that the store doesn't offer any bags at all - I wonder how often that would be the case.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 12:23 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Would not have pegged you as a hoarder. Lolllllll
Thought u were more like a hoard

Care to explain that remark?

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 12:32 pm
gamanit wrote:

Thank you! Exactly. People mean well but they are out of touch with reality. It doesn't mean we are entitled lazy or selfish, it means they have no idea what it means to live our lives.
No problem. I don't know what it means to live their lives either so I wont be giving suggestions on them. I appreciate the same consideration and without the negative character traits attributed to us, please.

And by the way, for the third time for those who didnt catch it yet: it's a granny cart plus a stroller plus a store shopping cart. Raise of hands who is volunteering to bring those three to KRM on a Wednesday or Thursday plus a few kids and your own reusable shopping bags. Now if my order is usually about $350-$450 (and two full store shopping carts- make that 4 things on wheels that need to be dragged around the store with me + kids), how many reusable shopping bags do I need to bring with me to the store? (As if my order will fit into one granny cart- make that 5 things on wheels.) How many reusable shopping bags am I stuffing into my purse (which is nonexistant, I don't wear one)? 15-20? Anyone here walks around with 15-20 extra bags in their purse?

Yeah I did say this would make a good comedy show. But those aren't supposed to be real every day life.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Shhhh! Don't speak so loudly. We don't want the environmentalists to go even crazier and ban disposable diapers.

Banning disposable diapers makes more sense than banning shopping bags. "Disposable" plastic shopping bags are actually reusable, and at least where I live, their typical life cycle matches those of the ones sold as reusable. Disposable diapers are for one time use, and there's no way around that.
Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics