Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to dispose of leaky leftovers after bag ban?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:51 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Thank you! Exactly. People mean well but they are out of touch with reality. It doesn't mean we are entitled lazy or selfish, it means they have no idea what it means to live our lives.
No problem. I don't know what it means to live their lives either so I wont be giving suggestions on them. I appreciate the same consideration and without the negative character traits attributed to us, please.

And by the way, for the third time for those who didnt catch it yet: it's a granny cart plus a stroller plus a store shopping cart. Raise of hands who is volunteering to bring those three to KRM on a Wednesday or Thursday plus a few kids and your own reusable shopping bags. Now if my order is usually about $350-$450 (and two full store shopping carts- make that 4 things on wheels that need to be dragged around the store with me + kids), how many reusable shopping bags do I need to bring with me to the store? (As if my order will fit into one granny cart- make that 5 things on wheels.) How many reusable shopping bags am I stuffing into my purse (which is nonexistant, I don't wear one)? 15-20? Anyone here walks around with 15-20 extra bags in their purse?

Yeah I did say this would make a good comedy show. But those aren't supposed to be real every day life.

Nothing about the law change requires you to start going to the grocery with a cart and a stroller if you didn't previously do so.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:53 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Banning disposable diapers makes more sense than banning shopping bags. "Disposable" plastic shopping bags are actually reusable, and at least where I live, their typical life cycle matches those of the ones sold as reusable. Disposable diapers are for one time use, and there's no way around that.

It doesn't make more sense because there would be riots.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:00 am
Not using one or two extra plastic grocery bags is not going to save the Earth. I'm not that naive, and I'm not a fanatic. I don't always buy organic produce, and I eat meat, so I'm probably making a bigger carbon footprint in other ways.

I also use lots of other plastic items in my life. Shampoo comes in plastic bottles, the refrigerator has plastic shelves. My computer has a plastic case, keyboard, mouse, etc. I'm sure that none of this will be recycled later on. The thing is, you don't hear me complaining about doing what I can do deal with the way society is changing and viewing conservation.

I use my bubbe cart, and when I shop I put the things I want to buy IN the cart, and wheel it to the checkout. Things go on the belt, get scanned, and when everything is done I repack into my cart, heavy stuff on the bottom and light things on top. Not a plastic bag in sight.

As for what to do with the baby, I haven't a clue. That's a whole other issue. Have you tried baby wearing? My DD hated it, but some mothers swear it's the best thing ever. I guess the next time anyone buys a stroller, they should keep grocery shopping in mind and make sure the basket meets their needs.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:03 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
It doesn't make more sense because there would be riots.

I didn't say it makes sense. I said it makes more sense. On a scale from 1 to 10, they're both in the negatives.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:03 am
Thank you! Exactly. People mean well but they are out of touch with reality. It doesn't mean we are entitled lazy or selfish, it means they have no idea what it means to live our lives.
No problem. I don't know what it means to live their lives either so I wont be giving suggestions on them. I appreciate the same consideration and without the negative character traits attributed to us, please.

And by the way, for the third time for those who didnt catch it yet: it's a granny cart plus a stroller plus a store shopping cart. Raise of hands who is volunteering to bring those three to KRM on a Wednesday or Thursday plus a few kids and your own reusable shopping bags. Now if my order is usually about $350-$450 (and two full store shopping carts- make that 4 things on wheels that need to be dragged around the store with me + kids), how many reusable shopping bags do I need to bring with me to the store? (As if my order will fit into one granny cart- make that 5 things on wheels.) How many reusable shopping bags am I stuffing into my purse (which is nonexistant, I don't wear one)? 15-20? Anyone here walks around with 15-20 extra bags in their purse?

Yeah I did say this would make a good comedy show. But those aren't supposed to be real every day life.

Perhaps I am missing something but why do you need more space to bring bags to a store. The bags are unfilled and the real issue for most people is carrying heavy FILLED bags home.

I think this is the issue that is confusing people. Once bags are filled, they are heavy and bulky whether you use reusable or use for free bags. Whatever means you are using to bring back many bags of filled bags you would be bringing to the store so how is carrying a unfilled bags an issue.

Whatever means you use to bring bags HOME filled, you use to bring reusable bags UNFILLED.

How does using free bags make it easier to carry items home. As many people have pointed out, reusable bags are easier to shlep. I can sling them over my shoulder and they also have longer handles that fit over coats. With free bags, the handles are short and thin and the only way to carry them is holding them with fingers or cutting into your wrists.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:04 am
Big corporations create most of the waste and pollution, and they make these rules in order to shift responsibility onto individuals.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:05 am
Amarante wrote:
Perhaps I am missing something but why do you need more space to bring bags to a store space. The bags are unfilled and the real issue for most people is carrying heavy FILLED bags home.

I think this is the issue that is confusing people. Once bags are filled, they are heavy and bulky whether you use reusable or for free one use. Whatever means you are using to bring back many bags of filled bags you would be bringing to the store.

Whatever means you use to bring bags HOME filled, you use to bring reusable bags UNFILLED.

How does using free bags make it easier to carry items home. As many people have pointed out, reusable bags are easier to shlep. I can sling them over my shoulder and they also have longer handles that fit over coats. With free bags, the handles are short and thin and the only way to carry them is holding them with fingers or cutting into your wrists.

Many people when shopping at KRM walk to the store and take a car service home since KRM charges for delivery so you may as well get a ride home and have your stuff with you for around the same amount of money. You use the shopping cart to bring the bags to the curb and load up the car.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:13 am
gamanit wrote:
Many people when shopping at KRM walk to the store and take a car service home since KRM charges for delivery so you may as well get a ride home and have your stuff with you for around the same amount of money. You use the shopping cart to bring the bags to the curb and load up the car.

I've done this too, especially when it's raining really hard. I bring all of my reusable bags with me to the store, load up the cart, and then call for a taxi or grab the next one at the curb. The last time I did this I gave the driver a 5 shekel tip to help me get the bags up the stairs to my apartment. It was totally worth it.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:16 am
gamanit wrote:

Still not understanding how this is a major issue - if you know you are going to the store you bring the bags with you.

In my experience, a huge amount of bags will fit into one bag. This bag goes over your shoulder - presumably you are not bringing children/stroller with you so carrying a lightweight bag containing other bags over shoulder isn't a big deal. If there is a stroller, the bag could fit in there if necessary.

Again, I am failing to understand how any of these causes a life crisis. It's a very minor adjustment that everyone else has managed to figure out and make it work for them in one way or another.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:21 am
I didn't say it makes sense. I said it makes more sense. On a scale from 1 to 10, they're both in the negatives.

It doesn't make more sense (which I what I said).

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:24 am

So what you are saying is that the availability of free single-use shopping bags is completely irrelevant to you, as (1) you need to have your stroller available to you at all times, and cannot handle both a stroller and a shopping cart (or, actually, two shopping carts, since that's what you generally fill); (2) you could not get home without a car or cab in any case, given the volume of bags you would have, which clearly could not be carried by hand, or even in the embarrassingly unfashionable shopping cart, so the benefits of carrying one type or another is irrelevant.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:30 am
In any case, as to the original question, how to dispose of leaky leftovers.

I was never enamored with bag use for that. The shopping style bags often have holes at the bottom, making them a bad choice for leaky things.

I don't have a garbage disposal, so when I need to get rid of greasy gravies or other things that would clog my pipes, I put them it in tin cans, wrapped in used foil.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:31 am
The need to bring reusable bags means we can no longer stop at the supermarket when we pass by, our trips need to be planned down to the exact count of bags needed.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:40 am
The need to bring reusable bags means we can no longer stop at the supermarket when we pass by, our trips need to be planned down to the exact count of bags needed.

I have great confidence that the vast majority of grocery stores will sell you a bag for those spontanous grocery store trips...

and you don't need the exact count.... you bring the most you think you may need.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:53 pm

I'm sure you're a really kind person but none of us are that exceptional. I've lived in the US where we only used plastic bags; now I live elsewhere where we don't. You learn how to adjust for the benefit of the planet and it's actually not a big deal. We do have an obligation to be kind to the Earth that protects us. Remember how Moshe wouldn't hit the water because it had saved him as a baby?

My reusable bags are stronger than any disposable plastic bag I used. I've done major shopping trips with and without a car. Here's how we do it:

When using a car: fill the grocery store wagon, pay, bring it to the car, unload and place into boxes/bags in the car boot. We also keep an empty laundry basket in the car for this purpose. It's a great way to carry groceries from the car into the house.

When using public transport: bring reusable bags with you or a backpack/duffel depending on what you're purchasing. You'd have carried the same items back in plastic bags presumably, only now you're using sturdier bags. This does mean you need to plan a bit more in advance but this is also a good thing: you're less likely to purchase things you don't need. If you find yourself without sufficient bags, you'll learn to plan better next time or purchase a bag. I was once unable to use the car and had to do a major shopping trip. I brought a gigantic duffel to the store and carried a few hundred dollars worth of groceries on my back. It was great exercise!

Impromptu one-off purchase with no bag? No problem! If it's a one- off, you can usually carry it in your hands without a bag. Yes, this was strange to me when I first saw DH walking the three blocks with the OJ and milk in his hands. But then I saw that we all turned out fine!

I'd think people with baby carriages have it even easier. Put the one-off item in the diaper bag, or in the basket.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:15 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Humans are mere mortals, pretty much insignificant in the scheme of the universe. The thought that humans have the power to destroy the universe is an egotistical one.

Why did Hashem create everything on the Universe? To serve the people. Specifically for the Yidden to learn Torah & serve Hashem. Look into Breishis. Bishvil Torah V'yisroel.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:20 am
So my guess is that people who think this is a great idea are huge environmentalists. And I have other priorities. I generally look to make life easier on people which is why this upset me.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:43 am
for people saying buy a stroller with a larger basket obviously aren't into stroller fashion. Yes 20 years ago people pushed huge carriages with large baskets on the bottom. Today's strollers are so compact they hardly fit a baby in there lol

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:56 am
So my guess is that people who think this is a great idea are huge environmentalists. And I have other priorities. I generally look to make life easier on people which is why this upset me.

I'm not a huge environmentalist - I do however recognize that there is a cost to convinence.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:58 am
I've been following and noting the suggestions.
Basically it'll be a gross inconvenience to get rid of leftovers from now on. Plus, where I put my vegetable peels? Now I peel them into the bag, then throw the whole thing out. (That's an easier problem to solve, admittedly.)
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics