Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to dispose of leaky leftovers after bag ban?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:18 pm
My problem with the shopping bag ban is that boxes for delivery now cost $0.50 each! I easily make orders of 8 boxes that get delivered to my door and religiously recycle those boxes. Why should I pay $4 for RECYCLABLE material which I canNOT bring back to the store to re-use? If I buy that much food, there's NO WAY that reusable bags will work for such a large order.

But the store is now charging for them because they knowthat now people will request boxes instead of bags.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:22 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
When I was in Israel & visited my grandma, it was raining, so we asked her for a shopping bag to cover my husband's hat & my wig....she asked me that I return the shopping bag to her when finished using...thank you very much....

Apparently it was such a treasure there because it cost money.....or you had to bring your own bag to makolet...

And that is one of the reasons why people are asked to PAY for the bags - so that fewer bags are wasted.

Most free bags were never reused - I suspect that most people will adjust to having to pay for bags by figuring out how to live with this new era.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:24 pm
We already have plenty of receptacles for disposal of leftovers such as the linings of cereal boxes and other bags that we don't recycle.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
And that is one of the reasons why people are asked to PAY for the bags - so that fewer bags are wasted.

Most free bags were never reused - I suspect that most people will adjust to having to pay for bags by figuring out how to live with this new era.

I, and many people I know, reuse shopping bags. ALL. THE. TIME. We have a bin for bags and any bag that is not torn or dirty gets placed there for reuse.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:26 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
My problem with the shopping bag ban is that boxes for delivery now cost $0.50 each! I easily make orders of 8 boxes that get delivered to my door and religiously recycle those boxes. Why should I pay $4 for RECYCLABLE material which I canNOT bring back to the store to re-use? If I buy that much food, there's NO WAY that reusable bags will work for such a large order.

But the store is now charging for them because they knowthat now people will request boxes instead of bags.

Is this new because there was a thread last week in which there were complaints that "egg carton" boxes that were used for delivery used to be free and now there was a charge.

Are you saying that your groceries were delivered in free bags and now they switched to boxes which cost 50 cents?

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:35 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I'm utterly confused.

What's wrong with shopping carts?

Why is it easier to carry single-use plastic bags than reusable bags (which usually have shoulder handles?

Why is it possible to walk home carrying disposable plastic bags, but not with reusable bags?

If you read my above posts you'll see that I don't carry groceries home, I get them delivered. I noted several things I reuse plastic bags for. Even in the boxes my grocery order comes in, several items need to be bagged with thick plastic in case of leaks. Most of the time the bags come clean and I reuse them. For diapers, for car sickness, in case of rain for important items, for umbrellas, etc. See my first post on this thread. If I happened to be carrying eggs or pickles or any glass jars, I want it in a disposable bag, not a reusable one.

Secondly bubby carts have the shlepper look. They look ok for bubbies. Not for everyone else. Besides for which if I'm pushing my stroller which doesnt have the biggest basket under, how do I push a bubby cart and a stroller? Imagine going into a grocery store- I gotta push my baby stroller, my shopping cart, and now my bubby cart too. It's hard enough with a stroller + shopping cart. Now you see why I get my groceries delivered. But I still use the plastic shopping bags that come in my order.

Maybe instead of a ban, they can recollect shopping bags in those machines they use for bottles, and give nickels or dimes back. Why does it have to be a ban? You know what happens when things are banned. Everyone runs to use more of them.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:37 pm
Amarante wrote:
Is this new because there was a thread last week in which there were complaints that "egg carton" boxes that were used for delivery used to be free and now there was a charge.

Are you saying that your groceries were delivered in free bags and now they switched to boxes which cost 50 cents?

No, my order was delivered in free boxes and now due to the bag ban, boxes cost 50 cents.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:46 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
If you read my above posts you'll see that I don't carry groceries home, I get them delivered. I noted several things I reuse plastic bags for. Even in the boxes my grocery order comes in, several items need to be bagged with thick plastic in case of leaks. Most of the time the bags come clean and I reuse them. For diapers, for car sickness, in case of rain for important items, for umbrellas, etc. See my first post on this thread. If I happened to be carrying eggs or pickles or any glass jars, I want it in a disposable bag, not a reusable one.

Secondly bubby carts have the shlepper look. They look ok for bubbies. Not for everyone else. Besides for which if I'm pushing my stroller which doesnt have the biggest basket under, how do I push a bubby cart and a stroller? Imagine going into a grocery store- I gotta push my baby stroller, my shopping cart, and now my bubby cart too. It's hard enough with a stroller + shopping cart. Now you see why I get my groceries delivered. But I still use the plastic shopping bags that come in my order.

Maybe instead of a ban, they can recollect shopping bags in those machines they use for bottles, and give nickels or dimes back. Why does it have to be a ban? You know what happens when things are banned. Everyone runs to use more of them.

So the posts about 'bubby carts' aren't suggestions for you. You get your groceries delivered.

Go to amazon.com purchase some plastic bags. Use your purchased plastic bags however you'd like. The world doesn't owe you free plastic bags (nor free boxes... try to purchase the same boxes you used to get for free - they will cost you more than 50cents).

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
So the posts about 'bubby carts' aren't suggestions for you. You get your groceries delivered.

Go to amazon.com purchase some plastic bags. Use your purchased plastic bags however you'd like. The world doesn't owe you free plastic bags (nor free boxes... try to purchase the same boxes you used to get for free - they will cost you more than 50cents).

I said I would. That works for me. What about all the in-store shoppers?

No the world doesn't owe me plastic bags. But for the past 30+ years it's been standard to get bags from the store to carry your purchases home with. Suddenly pulling that out from everyone's feet is kinda like telling everyone to bring their own cups to 7-11 for slurpees. The world doesn't owe us cups either.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:29 pm

You can purchase plastic bags for those uses.

The rest I still don't get. Reusable bags aren't going to cramp your style by forcing you to use a shopping cart. In fact, they're actually easier to carry than plastic bags.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:42 pm
Maybe some genius will think up a way for mothers with babies to go shopping. A stroller + a shopping cart + a bubby cart.
Not I.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:42 pm
If reusable bags are so great, why the need to force people to use them?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:53 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:

Because many people are lazy creatures of habit.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:57 pm
\

Because people value what they pay for and will use items more thoughtfully if there is a cost attached to them. The majority of free plastic bags were thrown away.

I still don't understand the issue. People don't want to pay for something they used to get for free. Almost every place now bans the use of free plastic bags because of the impact on the environment. Claiming that free plastic bags don't have a deleterious impact is about as ecologically savvy as denying that humans don'thave an impact on climate warming.

How are FREE plastic bags more functional than recyclable bags? As have been posted by many of us who adjusted to the change, they are actually MORE functional for shlepping.

There are extremely inexpensive plastic bags on rolls you can get on amazon for those items which really require a plastic bag to hold or dispose of. I use these to line my bathroom trash baskets. They come in clear which is really cheap but I have also gotten prettier pastel colored ones which look nicer in the bathroom. The clear ones are super cheap because they are used by janitorial services to line trash cans in every office and every cubicle every night.

With ingenuity there are receptacles that can hold liquid wastes - cereal boxes, coffee cans, cardboard boxes - which then can be tossed in the larger garbage.

A reusable bag can fit wherever you used to put a plastic bag so I am not understanding why it makes shlepping stuff more difficult. If you were carrying many bags in your hand, reusable bags are easier to carry and fit over the shoulder. They fit in a stroller just as a free plastic bag would. And why all the hate of grocery carts - does anyone seriously think they are more elegant shlepping 8 plastic bags dangling from their hands?

Stores are charging for boxes because they can't afford to give away boxes. If they didn't charge for boxes they would either have to raise prices for EVERYONE or they would have to charge for delivery. Boxes were never free - they were just figured into the overhead and items were priced accordingly. A business decision was made the it was better to charge for those who used delivery service rather than raise prices on groceries for everyone.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:01 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Because many people are lazy creatures of habit.

You insult people like that and then expect them to take your side. Imposing a rule that restricts people's freedom because you feel superior to them is not something a democratically elected government should be doing.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:02 pm
Reusable bags have to be brought to the store. This means carrying something both ways.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:04 pm
Maybe some genius will think up a way for mothers with babies to go shopping. A stroller + a shopping cart + a bubby cart.
Not I.

What does that have to do with disposable bags? Single use plastic bags didn't magically make shopping with babies easy. You couldn't give them directions home and find them waiting on your doorstep. You still had to transport them, by carrying them, putting them in a cart, or putting them under your stroller.

But I am apparently a genius.

(1) For large trips, leave your stroller in front of the store, and put the baby in the cart.

(2) If shopping with a stroller is important to you, make sure you use a stroller with a large basket.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:04 pm
I said I would. That works for me. What about all the in-store shoppers?

No the world doesn't owe me plastic bags. But for the past 30+ years it's been standard to get bags from the store to carry your purchases home with. Suddenly pulling that out from everyone's feet is kinda like telling everyone to bring their own cups to 7-11 for slurpees. The world doesn't owe us cups either.

Things change - and it wasn't sudden.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:07 pm
You insult people like that and then expect them to take your side.

I don't have "a side".

But its an honest answer to the question. I'm describing 'many people' - not everybody. Nobody needs to be personally insulted.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:09 pm
Reusable bags have to be brought to the store. This means carrying something both ways.

And?
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics