Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to dispose of leaky leftovers after bag ban?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
You don't own a purse?

Not one large enough to fit anything more than what's already in it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Actually no. I pay $10/week for my groceries to be delivered. $4 would be nice.
I'm upset because I have to change something that works for me.
I'm upset that people in govt do not understand the life of people on the ground and how their policies affect them.
I'm upset because this is another feel good dumb thing from the Democrats when when it comes down to it, it's impractical and useless, and we are the ones who suffer for it.
Thank you to whoever called us lazy. Lazy is politicians who don't need plastic bags for carrying things and then make rules for the rest of us as if we live their lifestyle.

What changed for you?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:42 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Not one large enough to fit anything more than what's already in it.

so you are already carrying something when you go to the grocery store.

gamanit

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:59 pm
If you've already committed to walking home carrying bags of groceries - the hardship of carring a few empty bags to the store seems immaterial to me. What am I missing?

I don't drive to the supermarket. I walk. I actually usually stop by on my way home from work and pick up a few things. Using reusable bags means knowing in the morning before work around how much I will need to buy that day, bring the right amount of bags with me to work, and remembering not to leave it in my office by mistake. Doable but not nothing.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:00 pm
My fabric bags are stronger and easier to carry. When carrying my groceries home from the makolet, I put the heaviest items in my strong purple bag and put it on my shoulder. Those cheap bags that we get from stores after spending enough are great for lighter items. I recently acquired a bag that’s perfect for two wine bottles or whatever I want a child to carry. I use the plastic grocery bags for really lightweight stiff like bags of chips and pretzels.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:04 pm
Actually no. I pay $10/week for my groceries to be delivered. $4 would be nice.
I'm upset because I have to change something that works for me.
I'm upset that people in govt do not understand the life of people on the ground and how their policies affect them.
I'm upset because this is another feel good dumb thing from the Democrats when when it comes down to it, it's impractical and useless, and we are the ones who suffer for it.
Thank you to whoever called us lazy. Lazy is politicians who don't need plastic bags for carrying things and then make rules for the rest of us as if we live their lifestyle.

I agree with your assessment of the Democrats. Which is ironic considering that this was always the chief grievance of the Democrats against the Republicans, that they don't relate to the common man.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:24 pm
What changed for you?

What will change is that I will have to buy a case of shopping bags. Which is fine with me. But knowing how it works with kids, the more you buy the more you use. If at this point we are using 5 plastic bags/week, I'm sure that will change to at least double. Kids see an abundance and they take abundantly. So the govt thinks they are helping the environment- it will backfire in my house. Instead of reusing plastic bags, we will be discarding lots of them after one time use. Which is fine with me because I have more important things to think about.

Secondly although I get my groceries delivered, there are still times I will have to run out to the store. I can just imagine forgetting to take bags with me. Or, texting one of my kids to pick something up on the way from home for dinner- nope, they don't have a bag with them.

Ok, still not big life changes for me personally. But I'm allowed to be upset for my friends who shop in store. It is a big thing here in Brooklyn for customers to have their groceries bagged by the time they're done paying. The holdup while each customer finds their bags from their purses and bags their purchases will make lines triple as long and stores that much more crowded. Very unpleasant. Especially if women will bring a stroller and a bubby cart and will need to fill a store shopping cart as well. It's chaos that I will do my utmost to avoid.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:27 pm
I think it's just going to take some time to adjust. If not, pay for the bags. I liked the idea of using cereal liners for yucky wet leftovers--if you can't use a shopping bag, look at the other things you're throwing out and see what you can use. As far as carrying shopping bags around, it will become a habit if you don't want to pay the fee. Our main use of the plastic bags is to line bathroom trash cans and diaper trash--I never bothered with a diaper genie/special can. Might have to buy some bags for this purpose if we can't get them elsewhere for free.

I have read that plastic bag bans lead to an increase in purchases of trash bags, which are made from thicker plastic than shopping bags. And the reusable bags we keep buying take a lot of energy to produce. So I'm not sure how effective it is from an environmental perspective compared to other measures. But it shouldn't affect your quality of life in a major way.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:33 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I think it's just going to take some time to adjust. If not, pay for the bags. I liked the idea of using cereal liners for yucky wet leftovers--if you can't use a shopping bag, look at the other things you're throwing out and see what you can use. As far as carrying shopping bags around, it will become a habit if you don't want to pay the fee. Our main use of the plastic bags is to line bathroom trash cans and diaper trash--I never bothered with a diaper genie/special can. Might have to buy some bags for this purpose if we can't get them elsewhere for free.

I have read that plastic bag bans lead to an increase in purchases of trash bags, which are made from thicker plastic than shopping bags. And the reusable bags we keep buying take a lot of energy to produce. So I'm not sure how effective it is from an environmental perspective compared to other measures. But it shouldn't affect your quality of life in a major way.

I got these from amazon - I would imagine they could be obtained for less but since the cost was minimal it made no sense to spend time to save a few pennies.

100 bags would last a reasonably long time for most people and $9.28 for that amount would not be something that would put a budget out of whack

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr.....psc=1

2 Gallon Small Plastic Trash Bags, 7.5 Liters Clear Wastebasket Liners Garbage Bags for Home, Office, Bathroom, 100 Counts

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:41 pm
What will change is that I will have to buy a case of shopping bags. Which is fine with me. But knowing how it works with kids, the more you buy the more you use. If at this point we are using 5 plastic bags/week, I'm sure that will change to at least double. Kids see an abundance and they take abundantly. So the govt thinks they are helping the environment- it will backfire in my house. Instead of reusing plastic bags, we will be discarding lots of them after one time use. Which is fine with me because I have more important things to think about.

Secondly although I get my groceries delivered, there are still times I will have to run out to the store. I can just imagine forgetting to take bags with me. Or, texting one of my kids to pick something up on the way from home for dinner- nope, they don't have a bag with them.

Ok, still not big life changes for me personally. But I'm allowed to be upset for my friends who shop in store. It is a big thing here in Brooklyn for customers to have their groceries bagged by the time they're done paying. The holdup while each customer finds their bags from their purses and bags their purchases will make lines triple as long and stores that much more crowded. Very unpleasant. Especially if women will bring a stroller and a bubby cart and will need to fill a store shopping cart as well. It's chaos that I will do my utmost to avoid.

So split a case of bags with a friend and tell your children not to use them any different than they did before.

The people who bag groceries - will still bag groceries. The processes is before you put your items up to be scanned - you take out your bags so the packers can fill them as the groceries go through.

I get being upset about change.... but it seem the level of upset is disproporitonal to what is being asked.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:43 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I agree with your assessment of the Democrats. Which is ironic considering that this was always the chief grievance of the Democrats against the Republicans, that they don't relate to the common man.

When people say that both parties are the same, that's what they mean. The elites on both sides are out of touch and don't care about the common man at all.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:54 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
When people say that both parties are the same, that's what they mean. The elites on both sides are out of touch and don't care about the common man at all.

Its the common man who worries about the environment.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:56 pm
So split a case of bags with a friend and tell your children not to use them any different than they did before.

The people who bag groceries - will still bag groceries. The processes is before you put your items up to be scanned - you take out your bags so the packers can fill them as the groceries go through.

I get being upset about change.... but it seem the level of upset is disproporitonal to what is being asked.

I'm actually not looking to problem-solve. I'm explaining the difficulties because people have asked.
And obviously it's too hard for people to relate because we are accused of being lazy and overreacting.
I'm sure we will figure it out. Store owners will not wait for customers to find their reusable bags. Although that would make a good comedy show.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:03 pm
I'm actually not looking to problem-solve. I'm explaining the difficulties because people have asked.
And obviously it's too hard for people to relate because we are accused of being lazy and overreacting.
I'm sure we will figure it out. Store owners will not wait for customers to find their reusable bags. Although that would make a good comedy show.

I can assure you that there is no additional waiting time on line for people fumbling to find their reusable bags.

These aren't small objects like a coin or a key

People are attempting to point out that the "difficulties" people are posting about are really not difficulties but just an adjustment to how things have been. Once the adjustment is made, people don't have problems with it.

The solutions are from people who have made the adjustments and are trying to let others know what they did to help with the adjustment.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:04 pm
Teomima wrote:
My goodness! Everyone is really overreacting! Trust me, it's really not that hard to get used to life without (or with limited) plastic bags. I know it seems unimaginable now, but honestly it's really no big deal.

As for the environment, how can people dismiss it so easily? No, getting rid of plastic bags won't end global warming. But it's a small step in the right direction. Take a little extra time and do something good for this beautiful home hashem gave us.

As for the environment, this is nothing more than an opportunity to tax and applies fees to the common man. Plastic bags compose less than 1% of our landfills. This just makes a lot of people give themselves a pat on their back that they're doing something for the environment.

This won't make even a dent in the supposed climate change. Like I said earlier, it's a feel good attempt by those out of touch.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:08 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
As for the environment, this is nothing more than an opportunity to tax and applies fees to the common man. Plastic bags compose less than 1% of our landfills. This just makes a lot of people give themselves a pat on their back that they're doing something for the environment.

This won't make even a dent in the supposed climate change. Like I said earlier, it's a feel good attempt by those out of touch.

if you don't think that climate change is a thing - then any environmentaly minded projects won't resonate with you.

(plastic bags are used by everyone - common or not).

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:09 pm
Its the common man who worries about the environment.

Not really. It's those who are out of touch with the daily grinds of life that worry about the environment. It's mostly the teens and college students who don't have much responsibilities yet, or the elite who have people running their day-to-day life for them that advocate for this.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:12 pm

I used the word lazy - and I didn't accuse anyone of being lazy. I answered a quesiton about why people need to be 'forced' to make a change.

The statment you made was that you were upset (and suffering) that that you have to change something that works for you... and the truth of it is the change you are making doesn't seem to be all that upsetting.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:15 pm
if you don't think that climate change is a thing - then any environmentaly minded projects won't resonate with you.

(plastic bags are used by everyone - common or not).

Climate change is a thing - it's a basic part of nature and always has been. We've been through many, many cycles of climate change throughout history & nature has always handed it beautifully. Isn't it a wonderful world that Hashem created?

Hashem created the world to run in cycles. The cycle of life. Cycles of nature. Cycles of earth. Cycles of planets, etc. This focus on one part of nature's cycle and making it out to be an impending apocalypse is a media driven, money making scheme.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:16 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Not really. It's those who are out of touch with the daily grinds of life that worry about the environment. It's mostly the teens and college students who don't have much responsibilities yet, or the elite who have people running their day-to-day life for them that advocate for this.

Out of touch about grinds of life regarding grocery buying?
Page 5 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics