Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mystery illness—take a guess
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just starting off with this disclaimer. I’ve been to the doctor twice and still don’t know what he has. I’m asking here purely out of curiosity since there’s nothing to be done anyway.

My 4 year old son had a high fever and sore throat. I figured it was probably strep. Took him for a throat culture. While waiting for results to come back I was told to start the antibiotics anyway since his throat was extremely red and inflamed and tonsils were swollen.
The next day he had a few blisters on his lips and tiny pink dots on his hands.
I figured hand foot and mouth disease.
The next day he was covered in a red rash of tiny pink dots all over his body and red cheeks and a tongue that looked suspiciously like a strawberry.
I figured scarlet fever.
I took him to the dr again. A different dr. He said it’s not a classic scarlet fever. Not a classic hand foot and mouth. Could be anything.
Keep him on antibiotics.
Turns out the culture was negative. The dr thinks it might be a false negative because the person that swabbed him was a student.
It could be scarlet fever from the strep but then the tiny blisters don’t make sense.
It could be hand foot and mouth but the blisters weren’t fluid filled which also doesn’t make sense. They were more like tiny red spots.
It’s unlikely to be an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin because the first blister started before I started antibiotics.

Thanks for reading this long post. If you have any theories about what happened please tell me. The red cheeks continued for a week but the rash went away after 2 days.

Sounds like strep with failed test result and a reaction to the abx. If it's an allergic reaction to the abx it's probably better to stop then. Idk too much about the blisters but the rash sounds like abx reaction. Apis 30c Homeopathy is helpful to clear reactions if that's something you are interested in.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 7:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update-
It’s been 2 weeks since the fever and rash and I figured that if I start seeing peeling skin on his fingers and toes then I’ll have my confirmation that it was scarlet fever.
Guess what I see today? You guessed it- peeling skin.
So now that I’m quite sure it was scarlet fever we start phase 2.

4 days after finishing his antibiotics my son got a fever again. He was coughing and sniffling so I figured bad luck he’s probably got the flu.
Now I’m wondering if this could be rheumatic fever. And I’m feeling freaked out. He’s had the fever for over 2 days and not getting better. But aside for the coughing and more tired he’s mostly ok. Eating playing though mostly watching videos. I guess he is more tired. His throat is a bit red but he’s not complaining.
Tomorrow we go to the doctor again.
I think I should have gone to medical school. It would have saved me so much time if I could just diagnose him myself. I do mostly come up with things myself anyway. Laugh

Please tell me what you know about rheumatic fever.

Any update? Did you figure out what it was?

mfb

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 7:24 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Sounds like strep with failed test result and a reaction to the abx. If it's an allergic reaction to the abx it's probably better to stop then. Idk too much about the blisters but the rash sounds like abx reaction. Apis 30c Homeopathy is helpful to clear reactions if that's something you are interested in.

Antibiotics reaction would be more hives like I think

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 7:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just starting off with this disclaimer. I’ve been to the doctor twice and still don’t know what he has. I’m asking here purely out of curiosity since there’s nothing to be done anyway.

My 4 year old son had a high fever and sore throat. I figured it was probably strep. Took him for a throat culture. While waiting for results to come back I was told to start the antibiotics anyway since his throat was extremely red and inflamed and tonsils were swollen.
The next day he had a few blisters on his lips and tiny pink dots on his hands.
I figured hand foot and mouth disease.
The next day he was covered in a red rash of tiny pink dots all over his body and red cheeks and a tongue that looked suspiciously like a strawberry.
I figured scarlet fever.
I took him to the dr again. A different dr. He said it’s not a classic scarlet fever. Not a classic hand foot and mouth. Could be anything.
Keep him on antibiotics.
Turns out the culture was negative. The dr thinks it might be a false negative because the person that swabbed him was a student.
It could be scarlet fever from the strep but then the tiny blisters don’t make sense.
It could be hand foot and mouth but the blisters weren’t fluid filled which also doesn’t make sense. They were more like tiny red spots.
It’s unlikely to be an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin because the first blister started before I started antibiotics.

Thanks for reading this long post. If you have any theories about what happened please tell me. The red cheeks continued for a week but the rash went away after 2 days.

Ok op this is so weird but my daughter had this a few weeks ago.
I also thought it was hand foot mouth, but wasn’t a hundred percent sure. A dermatologist I sent a picture to told me it’s not. The real problem was that I couldnt see a doctor because now in covid times a child cannot go to a doctors office if they are not well. I refused to go to the emergency room.
It took 2 weeks to go away completely. But my daughter was miserable that whole time.
I still don’t know exactly what was...

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 7:50 pm
I’m the op, I don’t know if it’ll help but I never did find out for sure what it was.

My personal opinion in conclusion is it was hand foot and mouth just not the classic version.

The peeling skin on fingers and toes does happen after HFM but it’s uncommon

It’s unlikely to get scarlet fever when we started antibiotics so quickly so although I can’t rule out strep completely I don’t think it was scarlet fever. All his symptoms could be explained by hand foot and mouth.

Oh and one more unusual symptom he had a month later which I didn’t even post here, was his nails on his fingers and toes cracked and peeled. It’s another unusual symptom after having a strong virus. It does happen after HFM but rarely.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 9:01 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Ok op this is so weird but my daughter had this a few weeks ago.
I also thought it was hand foot mouth, but wasn’t a hundred percent sure. A dermatologist I sent a picture to told me it’s not. The real problem was that I couldnt see a doctor because now in covid times a child cannot go to a doctors office if they are not well. I refused to go to the emergency room.
It took 2 weeks to go away completely. But my daughter was miserable that whole time.
I still don’t know exactly what was...

What kind of doctor wont see a sick patient? How terrible.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 9:08 pm
How long was the fever around for?
Could it be Kawasaki? (High fever, strawberry tongue, peeling skin)

amother
Green

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 9:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update-
It’s been 2 weeks since the fever and rash and I figured that if I start seeing peeling skin on his fingers and toes then I’ll have my confirmation that it was scarlet fever.
Guess what I see today? You guessed it- peeling skin.
So now that I’m quite sure it was scarlet fever we start phase 2.

4 days after finishing his antibiotics my son got a fever again. He was coughing and sniffling so I figured bad luck he’s probably got the flu.
Now I’m wondering if this could be rheumatic fever. And I’m feeling freaked out. He’s had the fever for over 2 days and not getting better. But aside for the coughing and more tired he’s mostly ok. Eating playing though mostly watching videos. I guess he is more tired. His throat is a bit red but he’s not complaining.
Tomorrow we go to the doctor again.
I think I should have gone to medical school. It would have saved me so much time if I could just diagnose him myself. I do mostly come up with things myself anyway. Laugh

Please tell me what you know about rheumatic fever.

Did you test for kawasaki disease? I had it as a kid after strep and antibiotics as well. Had the strawberry tongue and peeling skin. (Also had swollen gums, red eyes, water in joints, but not all symptoms will present in all children, I think. It finally led to a heart murmur and that's when they realised.)
My neighbour's little daughter also had kawasaki after strep but it was missed. They told her she was tested but apparently it was some sort of preliminary test that wasn't conclusive, and not really tested properly. Her daughter kept getting worse. Neighbour kept bringing daughter back, insisting something was wrong. Kept getting dismissed. By the time they realised she was right, her daughter had permanent damage to her heart and it was almost too late to treat. It was a miracle she got better. By all appearances totally healthy and normal but has a heart condition.

Hope this doesn't apply to you and maybe I'm oversensitive to it, but just wanted to make sure someone ruled this out. (Separately, I saw that some children are getting Kawasaki-like symptoms after getting COVID. Not sure if applicable here.)

ETA: whoops - just saw that this wasn't the last post and your latest update. Hope your little one is all better by now! Keeping my post here in case it helps anyone else.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics