Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Being the only OOT sibling and having guests...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 1:21 pm
DH comes from a large family. We are the only ones who live OOT, and at least once a year, someone from his extended family wants to "visit" I.e. vacation here and stay with us.

We have a 3-bedroom house and 3 children - 2 in one room, and then the baby. Before the baby was born, I had a "spare" room but now my only option is to move the baby into my room...and I don't want to!

If someone wants to come for winter vacation (teenage girls), can I say, "Sure, but only if you sleep with the baby" (which works for me), or do I have to accommodate them and move the baby into my room?

The problem is, they also live in small 3-bedroom houses in NY/NJ, but they have basements and host us when we come in for a wedding or pesach, which happens 1-2 times every 1-2 years. They do not need to move their kids around for us.

What do you think?

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 1:25 pm
I think you have every right to say no if it doesn't work with you

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 1:27 pm
I think it's fine to put guests in the same room as your baby. Unless they'll disturb your baby (and make it harder for you).

We're the opposite. The only in town family. We don't have a guest room and rarely have guests, but when we do, they're in the kids' room. (Obviously, the person is someone we trust to be in the kids room).

Alternatively, can the baby go with the other kids?

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 2:40 pm
If people are inviting themselves for a vacation, you don't need to put yourself out.

Personally, I would not want my baby sleeping in a room with guests because I don't want to have to get fully dressed if baby needs to be changed or otherwise tended to at 5am.

pbandjelly

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 4:00 pm
Hmm that's a tough one. I feel if they are hosting you once a year then it is nice to reciprocate. Can you put your baby in your kids room?

If it really isn't working out to move the baby then be upfront and explain why they can't stay.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 4:03 pm
Hachnasas Orchim

Is not an easy mitzvah.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 5:11 pm
Once a year I would inconvenience myself to host them. I'm in the same situation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette