Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Harry= Off the Derech?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:34 pm
pause wrote:
buzzfeed? Seriously?

But I'll bite. Already the first headline being compared is so different that if the rest are like this, there's no case here for her being the victim. Kate was ONCE found with ONE hand on her belly throughout three pregnancies while Meghan, in one pregnancy, had TWO hands on her belly EVERY single time she was out in public. I didn't need a headline to tell me what I saw: a highly UNclassy action in public, all the time! Not once, by mistake. I am not impressed by such action although others might like it because it shows how excited she is about the baby. Fine for them. But I don't expect a princess to act that way and that's why I'm disappointed.

My strong suspecion is that Meghan (like me) wouldn't consider hands on belly to be 'UNclassy'.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:35 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I think British ppl do nitpick because the monarchy is seen as employees of the ppl. They bring in profit to the country in exchange for a salary.
If they see the monarchy not representing what they think it should perhaps they have the right to be upset.

Then they should be thrilled that Harry and Meghan are stepping back and are no longer accepting money.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I think British ppl do nitpick because the monarchy is seen as employees of the ppl. They bring in profit to the country in exchange for a salary.
If they see the monarchy not representing what they think it should perhaps they have the right to be upset.

So that's why shes saying keep your money and let me live

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:41 pm
malki2 wrote:
“Skank” is defined as “a sleazy or unpleasant person”. I find her to be both sleazy and unpleasant, as do others. Sorry.

Okay.

I'm explaining to you how I felt reading what you wrote.

malki2

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:56 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Okay.

I'm explaining to you how I felt reading what you wrote.

Ok. I understand.

pause

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 3:11 pm
Should I say that "I guess only classy people understand why hands cradling a belly is unclassy" or is that opening another can of worms?

Besides which, all of you seem to be forgetting the yeeeeeeeeeeears that Kate was hounded by the media. By now she's proven worthy of their/our respect.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 3:15 pm
pause wrote:
Should I say that "I guess only classy people understand why hands cradling a belly is unclassy" or is that opening another can of worms?

Besides which, all of you seem to be forgetting the yeeeeeeeeeeears that Kate was hounded by the media. By now she's proven worthy of their/our respect.

Are you saying
Let's torture them till they are finally worthy?
Two wrongs dont make one right. If Kate went through then it's wrong as well.

I hope you understand that I have what else to do then sticking up for Meghan or for Kate. They wont know and they wont really care. What bothers me is the hate.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 3:15 pm
I don't think Harry is OTD, I think he's the Rabbi's son who doesn't want to daven in that shul and wants to explore other options...
I don't dislike Meghan, I just think she's not the right person to be married to royalty and she might've bitten off more than she can chew. Hollywood is not the British monarchy...

pause

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 3:20 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Are you saying
Let's torture them till they are finally worthy?
Two wrongs dont make one right. If Kate went through then it's wrong as well.

I hope you understand that I have what else to do then sticking up for Meghan or for Kate. They wont know and they wont really care. What bothers me is the hate.

It's unfortunate that royalty is scrutinized, but this is how it is. Meghan had a choice to put herself into this position.

Besides, let's not pretend that Meghan is getting worse treatment than Kate.

I don't know why I'm still posting about this. I guess it's just that I've felt like this since before they got engaged and it keeps getting confirmed again and again that she's not cut out for it. I don't hate her. I feel like "Why did you do this to yourself?" and if I'd be British, I'd say "How could you? It's not ok."

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:32 pm
pause wrote:

No - but you should understand that 'classy' isn't an agreeed upon set of rules either.

Meghan doesn't measure up to what you expect from a princess - you summed it up earlier.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:45 pm
malki2 wrote:
“Skank” is defined as “a sleazy or unpleasant person”. I find her to be both sleazy and unpleasant, as do others. Sorry.

what are you trying to prove? that slurs have definitions? I was pointing out that using you are using slurs instead of descriptors, which is against the rules of this site, and the mods agreed with me.

btw if you look it up, skank is actually defined as "filthy and promiscuous" not sleazy and unpleasant. so you are not just mean, you are misinformed. you can make a case for the reasons why you dislike someone or disagree with someone's actions without resorting to calling someone a slut.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:49 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I really don’t get it. Everything Kate does is idolized and Meghan is always looked down on.

If it makes you feel better, I think Kate is extremely lazy, and doesn't have the work ethic of her in-laws. She grew up pampered, and it shows.

That being said, there are three reasons people like Kate:

1) She keeps her mouth shut. She doesn't give interviews. She doesn't give insider scoops into any private part of her life. She gives off-the-cuff remarks to fans that people blow out of proportion, but that's it. When William broke up with her, every tabloid wanted to hear her side of the story. She had a chance to say her piece and feel vindicated. She didn't. She kept quiet, she didn't tell any of her friends anything, and she kept her loyalty.

2) She doesn't try to overshadow William. She knows he will be future king, and so she lets him lead. There are times when, watching videos of royal meetings, you can see people try to have her do something first or talk first, but she always looks at William and gestures that he should go first instead. Sometimes William will say, 'No, ladies first', and only then she'll take the lead. It's endearing to see her be very supportive of someone instead of trying to grab the attention.

3) She's been scrutinized since the very beginning. People called her all kinds of names - they still do. She doesn't complain and she doesn't explain. She doesn't send "friends" or "sources" to try to set the press straight, she just lets them say what they will and doesn't respond. In other words, she doesn't try to generate more news stories about her by fighting with tabloid headlines surreptitiously.

And finally: She's been trying to make her outfits more tznius - her selected designer pieces look very different than those in the stores.

I could learn a lot from Kate. I genuinely think that the middah of being quiet and not saying lashon hara gains you popularity in this world, and success.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:51 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

Where's that eye-roll emoji?

No he's not moving out of his grandmother's house. He's still keeping that. His grandmother also doesn't given him the Sovereign Grant as an allowance - the British taxpayers do that. He still gets an allowance from his dad, and he doesn't want to give that up.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:51 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
She doesn't complain and she doesn't explain.

I love your whole post so much but especially this.
Meghan is like Don Quixote, fighting windmills and looking foolish constantly.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:55 pm
I've been speaking to a history buff, and she put it into perspective.

The queen was born in the mid 1920s during the reign of her grandfather King George V and Queen Mary. This was during the Royal transition. The king watched numerous Royal families (mostly close relatives) lose their thrones and in some cases their lives. Russian, German, Austrian, all the German and Austrian Princes, Portuguese, the various Italian Princes, the upheaval in Greece.

King George and Queen Mary recreated the Royal Family to be figure heads who serve the country and that was the environment that Queen Elizabeth was raised with. If you look, you'll see that her cousins the Princes of Kent and the Princes of Gloucester have the same work ethic, as Princess Margaret who chose the Firm over Love.

It was because they knew the love and Goodwill of the British isn't assumed, but earned.
I believe Queen Elizabeth lived it even stronger with Prince Phillip being raised in the upheaval of Greece. In this aspect, I think The Crown got it 1000% right. He watched what happens when a Royal Family falls out of favor, and he was determined for it not to happen to his family.

(all of the above is not my original thought)

The point is: I think this article is interesting in that today's parenting allows for more personal expression and freedom, but the downside to that is that children lose their sense of obligation to the community and duty and sacrifice. I myself worry that my modern sense of parenting isn't really helping my children become better people, but they will have healthy self-esteem. But is self-esteem the mark of a successful human being? Or is it a life lived to help others?

Diana was raised extremely poorly, and yet her personal anguish fueled tremendous charity, and she's still revered 20+ years later. So what's the difference between raising an Elizabeth and raising a Harry?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:56 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Where's that eye-roll emoji?

No he's not moving out of his grandmother's house. He's still keeping that. His grandmother also doesn't given him the Sovereign Grant as an allowance - the British taxpayers do that. He still gets an allowance from his dad, and he doesn't want to give that up.

What interesting is the queen has custody of her minor grandchildren.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:59 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I've been speaking to a history buff, and she put it into perspective.

The queen was born in the mid 1920s during the reign of her grandfather King George V and Queen Mary. This was during the Royal transition. The king watched numerous Royal families (mostly close relatives) lose their thrones and in some cases their lives. Russian, German, Austrian, all the German and Austrian Princes, Portuguese, the various Italian Princes, the upheaval in Greece.

King George and Queen Mary recreated the Royal Family to be figure heads who serve the country and that was the environment that Queen Elizabeth was raised with. If you look, you'll see that her cousins the Princes of Kent and the Princes of Gloucester have the same work ethic, as Princess Margaret who chose the Firm over Love.

It was because they knew the love and Goodwill of the British isn't assumed, but earned.
I believe Queen Elizabeth lived it even stronger with Prince Phillip being raised in the upheaval of Greece. In this aspect, I think The Crown got it 1000% right. He watched what happens when a Royal Family falls out of favor, and he was determined for it not to happen to his family.

(all of the above is not my original thought)

The point is: I think this article is interesting in that today's parenting allows for more personal expression and freedom, but the downside to that is that children lose their sense of obligation to the community and duty and sacrifice. I myself worry that my modern sense of parenting isn't really helping my children become better people, but they will have healthy self-esteem. But is self-esteem the mark of a successful human being? Or is it a life lived to help others?

Diana was raised extremely poorly, and yet her personal anguish fueled tremendous charity, and she's still revered 20+ years later. So what's the difference between raising an Elizabeth and raising a Harry?

Have you watched The Crown?

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:02 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
I love your whole post so much but especially this.
Meghan is like Don Quixote, fighting windmills and looking foolish constantly.

Isn't it interesting that Kate is more popular because of tznius? Tznius in her dress, tznius in her speech, tznius in her behavior.

Long gone are the days when the wind "accidentally" blew up her skirt. I think that was her rebellious phase.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:04 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Have you watched The Crown?

Um, duh. I suspect a lot of it is soap opera, but it is interesting to watch how the Queen subverted her own personality, desires, and wishes for the sake of duty and service. And how that translated into a long lasting reign with extreme popularity.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:10 pm
WhatFor wrote:
And Harry was photographed completely naked in Las Vegas while partying with a group of friends. What's your point? She's too good for him? I agree with those who cannot relate to this visceral hatred to this woman none of us knows.

I don't blame her for wanting to get out of the spotlight. The way people are hounding her reminds me of Britney before/during her breakdown; at least Britney was not as viscerally hated.

I don't think either of them want to get out of the spotlight. If they did, they wouldn't have an instagram account. They wouldn't do acting work. They wouldn't want to move to LA. Meghan, in Canada, made it a point to announce a charity visit and be photographed two days ago. There are many times when charity visits are carried out by royals secretly and without announcement, when there are no photographers there.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics