Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How tall is your dh? [POLL]
1  2  3  4  5  Next

How tall is your dh?
Taller than 6 feet  
 17%  [ 83 ]
5'11 to 6 feet  
 19%  [ 92 ]
5'9 to 5'10  
 22%  [ 105 ]
5'7 to 5'8  
 20%  [ 99 ]
5'5 to 5'6  
 12%  [ 59 ]
5'3 to 5'4  
 4%  [ 22 ]
5'2 to 5'3  
 1%  [ 7 ]
Shorter than 5'2  
 1%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 473

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:14 pm
How tall is your dh? I want to know what average male Jewish height is. Thanks tons!!!

(I am not doing this for a research paper or for any publication. Yael knows who I am. I am not in grad school nor am I a bored Yeshiva Bochur.)

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:16 pm
My husband is 5.11, I am 5.3.

I weigh only 10 lbs less than him. Can't Believe It

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:18 pm
Out of curiosity, what is this for?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:20 pm
To settle an argument with dh about whether oldest ds is average or not. (I am curious how many other women post on Imamother to settle silly arguments, but that's for another thread.)

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:22 pm
http://www.jewishencyclopedia......ature

^^^ Here is data broken down by country

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:25 pm
DrMom wrote:
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13993-stature

^^^ Here is data broken down by country

Thanks so much for this 1906 article. I am sure that nothing has changed since 1906, except for nutrition and access to food.

When you convert the measures of height in millimeters to inches, all Jewish men range from 5'3 to 5'4. Would you say that this information is still relevant today?

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To settle an argument with dh about whether oldest ds is average or not. (I am curious how many other women post on Imamother to settle silly arguments, but that's for another thread.)

LOL

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:31 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

You're ahead of me. My husband is 5.9, I am 5.2, and we've always weighed about the same. In the past few years I think I've gone ahead Can't Believe It, but sh... don't tell him.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much for this 1906 article. I am sure that nothing has changed since 1906, except for nutrition and access to food.

When you convert the measures of height in millimeters to inches, all Jewish men range from 5'3 to 5'4. Would you say that this information is still relevant today?

You're welcome, ingrate!

You could check by what % the mean population has increased in stature (comparing to overall stature by country tables), and then multiply the stature of Jews by this same factor (assuming that Jews also have better nutrition and food these days).

I'd go that route instead of using data from the poll you launched here. You'll need a heck of a lot of results here on this poll to get data that is meaningful.

Good luck.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ask your son's pediatrician. They have access to growth charts. My kids' pediatrician was able to give me an accurate picture of frum heights.

How does knowing how tall full grown men are effect whether your son is average in the frum would? DS is 6' 1". His father was 6' 6". The father's height is meaningless to find out where DS fits in.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:34 pm
DH says he is 5'5". I think he's slightly exaggerating, but I'm 5'2" or 5'3".

But he's considered relatively short, fwiw.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:56 pm
DrMom wrote:
You're welcome, ingrate!

You could check by what % the mean population has increased in stature (comparing to overall stature by country tables), and then multiply the stature of Jews by this same factor (assuming that Jews also have better nutrition and food these days).

I'd go that route instead of using data from the poll you launched here. You'll need a heck of a lot of results here on this poll to get data that is meaningful.

Good luck.

I'm not good at math. I googled average male Jewish and average Israeli came up leading me to this site:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....untry

According to this, average Israeli men are 5'9 1/2 and average Israeli women are 5'5 1/2.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:01 am

Same here!

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 3:31 am
Dh says he is 5"9. I don't think so. I'm 5"4 - I think he's 5"6-8.
I kinda like the fact he's taller than me but not super super tall.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 3:47 am
If you are not living way OOT in someplace where there are hardly any Jews, isn't it relatively simple to see whether your son is around average height by just comparing with others?

Surely you can figure out if he is somewhere within a standard deviation or two of the average.

Since you're amother anyway: How tall is he?

BTW, height may also vary with ethnicity. Ethiopian Jews and Yemenite Jews are (on average) shorter and of slighter build than Ashkenazi Jews; etc.

salt

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Could you compare him to the rest of his class?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not good at math. I googled average male Jewish and average Israeli came up leading me to this site:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....untry

According to this, average Israeli men are 5'9 1/2 and average Israeli women are 5'5 1/2.

I can believe average Israeli man 5'9, but think 5'5.5 is taller than the average Israeli woman. I'd guess 5'4 for female average.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:13 am
I wrote over 6ft cuz thats how tall he is in my eyes cuz I respect him so much

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:34 am

My dh is over 6 feet and weighs less than me most of the time.

rowo

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:41 am
Now I’m curios, how tall is your son?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics