Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How tall is your dh? [POLL]
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

How tall is your dh?
Taller than 6 feet  
 17%  [ 83 ]
5'11 to 6 feet  
 19%  [ 92 ]
5'9 to 5'10  
 22%  [ 105 ]
5'7 to 5'8  
 20%  [ 99 ]
5'5 to 5'6  
 12%  [ 59 ]
5'3 to 5'4  
 4%  [ 22 ]
5'2 to 5'3  
 1%  [ 7 ]
Shorter than 5'2  
 1%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 473

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:24 am
nchr wrote:
Funny poll. You'd think there wouldn't be option for under 5'6 or 5'5 but at least a few for 6'0 to 6'1 and 6'1 to 6'2 and then taller than 6'2 or 6'3. The poll was obviously started by someone much shorter than average because otherwise all of those options do not make sense. I'm pretty sure more men are 6'3 then 5'5 lol.. If your son is 5'9 and shorter then he is short. Also average Jewish height in Israel should be slightly shorter than in the US due to the large amounts of immigrants, especially from Yemen. If you are in the US and Ashkenazi look at the average height of a US male of European descent.

Very few Jews are taller than 6’2. My dh is and he towers over most other guys. Jews are shorter in general than other Europeans.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:38 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I'm pretty sure average for American females of European descent (so excluding Asian and Hispanic crowd) is 5'5 - 5'7. This is where Jews being short comes into play, because I feel like 5'2 to 5'4 tends to be average for Jewish frum females (but not the non frum ones), whereas 5'2 is really very short.

IIRC average height for American woman is 5’4.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:39 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I don't know if it's derogatory or if there's some truth in it. I've wondered about this myself an if it's community dependent. I find that the last two generations are shorter than the previous generations. I'm 5'4", and I was average height in my class. The average height of the girls today in the community I grew up in seems to be about 5'2". And the average height of the boys seems to be about 5'7-8" (compared to 5'9-10").

The height given above is referencing Brooklyn communities, where I grew up in. I've moved OOT now, and find that the average height here is a bit taller than in Brooklyn. My 5'1" daughter went to camp this year with Brooklyn campers and came home with this observations: "Ma how come in camp I'm average height and not considered short, but here in my class I'm one of the shortest ones?".

Additionally, I've just finished some college courses. The average height for the college aged students seem to be int 5'5" range for girls, and 5'10" for boys (if you exclude the Hispanic crowd).

Is there a possibility that the lack of physical activity, or lack of sunshine for most of the year in Brooklyn that is contributing to this? Both do have a slight effect on growth, and physical activity and sunshine are two factors that have really been reduced in Brooklyn the last years. I'm curious if anyone has insight to this.

I don't either find it derogatory it's just what it is. Most of my kids are right above the 50th percentile and people tell me all the time how tall my kids are. There are far more really short kids in their classes than really tall.

pause

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:40 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
IIRC average height for American woman is 5’4.

Many Americans are of Hispanic descent thus lowering the average.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:41 am
This comment section is SO validating! Im 5'4 my body is comfortable at 125. I love the way I look at 120 but it doesnt happen to often (usually if im super motivated before a simcha) dh is 6'2 and he weighs 140. When I was pregnant with my 1st we were together at the obgyn for an appt and they weighed me and the scale said 140 I said oh thats cute that what dh weighs. So they put him on the scale without moving it and they were all cracking up. I DID not find it funny. Today im bh 8 weeks pp. The scale said 130.8 this morning... I was 136 after birth which makes me feel terrible to be almost a foot shorter than dh and only a few lbs apart Can't Believe It

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:45 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
This comment section is SO validating! Im 5'4 my body is comfortable at 125. I love the way I look at 120 but it doesnt happen to often (usually if im super motivated before a simcha) dh is 6'2 and he weighs 140. When I was pregnant with my 1st we were together at the obgyn for an appt and they weighed me and the scale said 140 I said oh thats cute that what dh weighs. So they put him on the scale without moving it and they were all cracking up. I DID not find it funny. Today im bh 8 weeks pp. The scale said 130.8 this morning... I was 136 after birth which makes me feel terrible to be almost a foot shorter than dh and only a few lbs apart Can't Believe It

6'2" at 140 lbs is supremely underweight. DH, who is also same height is closer to 200.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:47 am
My grandmother and her sisters in the shtetl were 5'5to 5'10. I don't see why Jews are "short". Also the ped, woah. If not Jewish I report. Why would frumkeit play a role?

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:17 am
DH’s father isn’t Jewish, and is a 6’5” Texan stereotype! His mother is Jewish and on the taller side for a woman, like 5’8”.

DH is 6’2” and I’m 5’3”. We try to sit when we have our pictures taken together cuz otherwise I look soooo short LOL. My sons got DH’s tall genes and people think my 7 year old is a third grader!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:18 am
I’m 5”5 my dh is 5”3 everyone in my family is 5”7 to 6” hashem made me the “shortest” otherwise I wldnt have wanted to marry my dh!

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:19 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
6'2" at 140 lbs is supremely underweight. DH, who is also same height is closer to 200.

Yep hes a string bean LOL
Ive told people in the past the dh was 10 lbs at birth. The most commom reaction I get is "he still is"

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Yep hes a string bean LOL
Ive told people in the past the dh was 10 lbs at birth. The most commom reaction I get is "he still is"

Sounds like me. I’m 5’3” and a half and DH is 6’1”. I weight anywhere between 120 and 128 depending on circumstances and DH was 137 at our marriage. Now the poor guy gained weight and he’s about 145

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:34 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

DH is 6-6'1 and weighs 125 lbs

I on the other hand am 5'5 and haven't weighed that much probably since the 6th grade.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:06 pm
nchr wrote:
Funny poll. You'd think there wouldn't be option for under 5'6 or 5'5 but at least a few for 6'0 to 6'1 and 6'1 to 6'2 and then taller than 6'2 or 6'3. The poll was obviously started by someone much shorter than average because otherwise all of those options do not make sense. I'm pretty sure more men are 6'3 then 5'5 lol.. If your son is 5'9 and shorter then he is short. Also average Jewish height in Israel should be slightly shorter than in the US due to the large amounts of immigrants, especially from Yemen. If you are in the US and Ashkenazi look at the average height of a US male of European descent.

However much you look down on short people, someone who is 5'9 is really not considered short. Hardly any men in my circles are taller than that.

nchr

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:34 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
However much you look down on short people, someone who is 5'9 is really not considered short. Hardly any men in my circles are taller than that.

I don't look down on short people. IME 5'9 is really the threshold when a male begins to be considered short. Different circles may have different experiences.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:43 pm
My husband often jokes about guys who are 5'9" or 5'10" being tall "at shul," even though they're average or less by regular American stats. He is 5'7", which is probably around average at our shul.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:13 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Sounds like me. I’m 5’3” and a half and DH is 6’1”. I weight anywhere between 120 and 128 depending on circumstances and DH was 137 at our marriage. Now the poor guy gained weight and he’s about 145

Lol my husband kvetches all day at how "fat" he's getting.
The dude was 125 at our wedding (he's 5'11). He now weighs 140 (B"H!!!!!!!!!!)
I smack him every time he pinches his nonexistent belly.

rowo

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:48 pm
I find it so interesting that people are saying the Jewish/frum population is now shorter than previous generations on average.

From my experience and observations I would say the opposite.

On both sides of my family, and my husbands family, all the men of our generation are (often a lot) taller than our grandfathers.

My husband is just under 6 foot, he’s taller than me at 5’4”, but not huge. We are in our 30’s and I feel like a lot of younger guys are taller than him.

So far our boys are above average in height and our girls are average. Both in terms of just looking at them near their classmates and the growth charts.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:59 pm
My DH is 5 11’ and my two oldest boys are taller than him. One is 6’6” and one is 6’ and they are also much broader than my DH. People always comment that my DH looks like he has a security team protecting him as he walks to shul because they appear to tower over him. I am 5 11’ as well and it feels so good to finally stand next to people that are taller than me!

Window

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:08 pm
Why is there no option for “I don’t know and I don’t care”?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:22 pm
rowo wrote:
I find it so interesting that people are saying the Jewish/frum population is now shorter than previous generations on average.

From my experience and observations I would say the opposite.

On both sides of my family, and my husbands family, all the men of our generation are (often a lot) taller than our grandfathers.

My husband is just under 6 foot, he’s taller than me at 5’4”, but not huge. We are in our 30’s and I feel like a lot of younger guys are taller than him.

So far our boys are above average in height and our girls are average. Both in terms of just looking at them near their classmates and the growth charts.

People shrink as they age. It's normal to lose inches through the later years, starting after 60.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics