Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Vent about being fat and binging
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 1:34 pm
Look for books by Geneen Roth. She talks about intuitive eating .

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 1:55 pm
I used to eat and eat all the time. I love food and I couldnt stop indulging. I ate when I was happy just because it was so good, I ate to soothe hurt feeling, I ate just because and I could not stop. I lost and regained 50 lbs many many times. I hated that I was so out of control. I also hated the way I looked and felt. I joined oa/greysheet. Yes it is rigid and its very rigidity has freed me from my prison of compulsive eating. I no longer judge myself for having a food addiction and being unable to stop eating. Gray sheet has taught me to view it as an illness that I have through no fault of my own. I was created with an addiction that makes me unable to stop eating unless I follow the very rigid guidelines of my group. I do not feel deprived. I love my food and I eat it with no guilt. I feel free. I am so grateful that I have been maintaining a 90 pound weight loss for 16 years. I have given birth twice during these past 16 years. I have married off several children. I have pursued a new career. I have been living a life beyond my wildest dreams because as I follow the guidelines of Greysheet I am totally totally freed of my addiction and compulsion to eat. I am free. My cravings are gone and my body is a normal size. How miraculous.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:00 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
I’m so appreciative of anyone who replied. Thank you !!! Keep me coming

What type of foods have you honestly eaten the past 10 days? Carbs, fried food?

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:02 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
I just wanna scream. I’ve been dieting since my teens and I am fatter than ever (5 kids). I feel zero motivation and I hate looking in the mirror. I love fashion and wigs and makeup and jewelry but then I see a photo of myself and I feel sick. Every day I wanna start Anew but just end up binging/ eating junk, then feeling soooo exhausted from the junk, then repeat. Argh. I can’t take it anymore. I’ve tried davening Segulas TZedaka Lashon hara no tv and obviously nutritionists coaches etc. What the heck is wrong with me
Thanks Banging head Banging head Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

OP you say your dieting.....and binging and eating junk. That's not dieting.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:03 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I used to eat and eat all the time. I love food and I couldnt stop indulging. I ate when I was happy just because it was so good, I ate to soothe hurt feeling, I ate just because and I could not stop. I lost and regained 50 lbs many many times. I hated that I was so out of control. I also hated the way I looked and felt. I joined oa/greysheet. Yes it is rigid and its very rigidity has freed me from my prison of compulsive eating. I no longer judge myself for having a food addiction and being unable to stop eating. Gray sheet has taught me to view it as an illness that I have through no fault of my own. I was created with an addiction that makes me unable to stop eating unless I follow the very rigid guidelines of my group. I do not feel deprived. I love my food and I eat it with no guilt. I feel free. I am so grateful that I have been maintaining a 90 pound weight loss for 16 years. I have given birth twice during these past 16 years. I have married off several children. I have pursued a new career. I have been living a life beyond my wildest dreams because as I follow the guidelines of Greysheet I am totally totally freed of my addiction and compulsion to eat. I am free. My cravings are gone and my body is a normal size. How miraculous.

I am so happy for you (and maybe more than a bit envious) that you lost the weight and look and feel good. I would love to look and feel good.

But it's weird to me that you are on a rigid program and say you feel free. Or are free. Aren't you basically still obsessed with food? I'm not familiar with greysheet, but it sounds like the addiction and compulsion is still there but you've found a way to control it but that must still involved spending a lot of time thinking about food, no? I mean, do you feel like you have a healthy relationship with food?

I long for the ability to just eat what I want when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full and not spend any time thinking about food or diets. To not feel guilt when I eat. Or see foods as good or bad. Is that something that greysheet can give?

Not picking on you. Just asking. I'm struggling and looking for answers. I don't want to find a new way to obsess about food though - even if it makes me lose weight. I will still be miserable if I am walking around feeling denied and deprived.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:10 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
OP you say your dieting.....and binging and eating junk. That's not dieting.

That’s her point. She starts dieting and because of feeling deprived she caved and binges on junk, is then mad at herself for caving and binging so she binges more....
OP, lately wherever I turn intuitive eating is being mentioned and I think that’s going to be my next project. Because I’ve also tried and failed and the more I follow a diet plan the more my mind is focused on food and it causes me to think and obsess about food , something I don’t do when I don’t diet. I just eat, but it’s without all those terrible feelings that come with dieting and failing on the diet.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:13 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I am so happy for you (and maybe more than a bit envious) that you lost the weight and look and feel good. I would love to look and feel good.

But it's weird to me that you are on a rigid program and say you feel free. Or are free. Aren't you basically still obsessed with food? I'm not familiar with greysheet, but it sounds like the addiction and compulsion is still there but you've found a way to control it but that must still involved spending a lot of time thinking about food, no? I mean, do you feel like you have a healthy relationship with food?

I long for the ability to just eat what I want when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full and not spend any time thinking about food or diets. To not feel guilt when I eat. Or see foods as good or bad. Is that something that greysheet can give?

Not picking on you. Just asking. I'm struggling and looking for answers. I don't want to find a new way to obsess about food though - even if it makes me lose weight. I will still be miserable if I am walking around feeling denied and deprived.

Once I gave up sugar and followed the guidelines of my program, slowly the addiction and cravings and constant food thoughts disappeared. This took some time but it did happen and happens to all of us in program who stick to it long enough because we believe that this will come if we stick to it. I plan and prepare my food just as I plan and prepare my family meals. No obsession involved. Im an organized person. I dont just think at 5 pm... hmm what am I serving husband and children for dinner tonite... I have shopped for their meals and prepared so they have it on time. Same with my food. Just as dairy and peanut butter are not on the menu for those that are allergic, so too, those foods that greysheet says will trigger my craving are off of my menu.
I accept that my illness means that I will probably never have the ability to eat when hungry and stop when full. I dont judge myself for that. Its how I was created. Greysheet has tamed my cravings into submission, frees me of food obsession and has given me the body I want with a clear mind to go along with that. Win win situation for me.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:15 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
That’s her point. She starts dieting and because of feeling deprived she caved and binges on junk, is then mad at herself for caving and binging so she binges more....
OP, lately wherever I turn intuitive eating is being mentioned and I think that’s going to be my next project. Because I’ve also tried and failed and the more I follow a diet plan the more my mind is focused on food and it causes me to think and obsess about food , something I don’t do when I don’t diet. I just eat, but it’s without all those terrible feelings that come with dieting and failing on the diet.

Yes, intuitive eating is what I want. But I need to do some work on me first. Because I can be sitting there eating - (could be junk, could be kale salad - doesn't matter) and recognizing that I'm not hungry anymore and I keep going. And going. And going. That's eating feelings. That's what I need to figure out and make stop.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:19 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Yes, intuitive eating is what I want. But I need to do some work on me first. Because I can be sitting there eating - (could be junk, could be kale salad - doesn't matter) and recognizing that I'm not hungry anymore and I keep going. And going. And going. That's eating feelings. That's what I need to figure out and make stop.
You sound like me. I know all about it. I’m going to get the book and will see if I can get myself to work on it.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:35 pm
yes one can find freedom in living by restrictions that make sense

freedom from feeling out of control and freedom in having good guidelines and living by them, freedom in finding what works for us and sticking with it -- freedom of wasted energy and negativity /obsessing etc

like l'havdil we have true freedom from living with the mitzvahs and halacha Hashem Gave us

hugs and hatzlocha to everyone

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:46 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

Can you please post what your meals consist of on a typical day, and also Shabbat?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:47 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

You’re spot on. OA makes you have to have every meal planned out way in advance and if you’re going to a Simcha you have to bring along your own food

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:53 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Can you please post what your meals consist of on a typical day, and also Shabbat?

Sample. May vary into different proteins, fruit and veggies. Amounts are measured by cup, spoon or scale per food plan

Breakfast . Smoothie made of greek yogurt, milk and strawberries

Lunch. Tuna patties. Fresh salad. Spanish eggplant

Supper. Chicken. Fresh salad. Roasted peppers. Riced cauliflower with sauteed onions.

Basically I eat certain amounts of fruit. Proteins. Veg and fat per day and I have many low glycemic index food choices to pick from. Same thing for shabbos. I get my carbs through fruit, vegetables and wheat germ. No sugar or simple carbs ever... they trigger cravings. Only thing between meals is suger free zero cal drinks. Tea. Black coffee or gum. More details are beyond the scope of this board

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:59 pm
You’re spot on. OA makes you have to have every meal planned out way in advance and if you’re going to a Simcha you have to bring along your own food

Way in advance? Day b4 works for me.
I can often find food that im not "allergic" to at a simcha or I can choose to eat before ir bring my own food.

I still remember the days stuffed into a tight girdle, wearing tight clothes in size 2x, fee li ing short of breath and tugging at my waistband as I "enjoyed" the meal served that required no preparation or thought beforehand.

Ill take my life today over that anytime!

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 3:08 pm
I started following the Shira Rose on instagram and it has really opened my eyes to how we're all so obsessed with weight and food. We've all been given different shaped bodies so some of us are actually supposed to be chubby. I think it's when we don't accept the body we have that we get into trouble, because we try to shrink ourselves, deprive ourselves, and it turns into an obsession and a vicious circle.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 3:11 pm

You poor thing! Is that what you have to do? Must be challenging! But worth it if it means you are healthy and comfortable around food
Baruch hashem that doesnt apply to me on greysheet

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 3:36 pm
Listen to the "Jewish intuitive eating journey" podcast with Rena Resiser if you want to hear what intuitive eating is all about (

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 3:45 pm
This thread inspired me so much , that I just got back from the library and I borrowed the book “Intuitive Eating” by Evely Tribole and Elyse Resch. I’m looking forward to this ‘

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 3:52 pm
Re: "intuitive eating" by Evelyn Tribole is a great place to start!

Also Christy Harrison just released a new book called "Anti-diet" about the history of diet culture and how to eat intuitively (she also has a podcast about intuitive eating, and Shira Rose was on it)

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 3:57 pm
When I get really down about my weight struggles I tell myself that that is is my nisoyon from Hashem and I would take it over many other struggles I see around me.
I make sure I am healthy though, personal trainer 3 times a week and healthy diet as well.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise