Home

Stopover in London with kids

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Vacation and Traveling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 1:36 pm
We have a 12 hour stopover (in middle of the day) in London and are traveling with three kids ages 6-12.
What would be most interesting to them? London Eye? London Eye and what? I'm having a hard time figuring out how much I can get in to that 12 window (actually much less because we have to get back 2-3 hours before the flight and we have to get into the city itself)...

What are realistic plans for the day? Should include eating somewhere I guess too.

Thanks!
Back to top

jewwoman




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Jan 18 2020, 6:36 pm
Depends on the airport you are flying to and from. Heathrow is a good hour or so from central london adding traffic to that middle of the day rush in central.

If you get to london eye, there is the thames, covent gardens and Buckingham palace not too far away from eachother
Back to top

Rutabaga




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Jan 18 2020, 6:48 pm
You can take one of the hop-on hop-off buses to get a tour of the city and only get off at places that interest you
Back to top

amother




Bisque
 

Post  Sat, Jan 18 2020, 6:52 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
You can take one of the hop-on hop-off buses to get a tour of the city and only get off at places that interest you


This is what we went when we had a stopover as kids. I loved it! Must’ve been 8ish.
Back to top

angelgirl




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Jan 18 2020, 7:32 pm
Buckingham palace, changing of the guards is at 11am at the palace if you can get there then, Otherwise go to the horse guards parade and you get to see horses and soldiers up close. The horses leave at 4pm I think- Check online for exact details. London eye is cool but bit boring lol! Maybe that’s just for us Londoners though! There is a shrek experience right next to it if you have time to kill.

Golders green road is full of kosher shops and restaurants, but Reubens is a kosher restaurant in central London.

Enjoy your trip!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sat, Jan 18 2020, 10:24 pm
We're landing at Heathrow airport at 9:10am on a Sunday.
I'm thinking we should go straight to changing of the guards, then the london eye, and then maybe one of those double decker buses. Would stop at Reuben's at one point to eat. Does this plan make sense? What about the riverboat cruises, should we do that instead of the double decker buses?
If we see we won't make the changing of the guards, we'd switch that for the horse guard parade.

Does all this make sense?

And what's the best way to travel from the airport on a Sunday morning?

Thanks so much!
Back to top

amother




Bisque
 

Post  Sat, Jan 18 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're landing at Heathrow airport at 9:10am on a Sunday.
I'm thinking we should go straight to changing of the guards, then the london eye, and then maybe one of those double decker buses. Would stop at Reuben's at one point to eat. Does this plan make sense? What about the riverboat cruises, should we do that instead of the double decker buses?
If we see we won't make the changing of the guards, we'd switch that for the horse guard parade.

Does all this make sense?

And what's the best way to travel from the airport on a Sunday morning?

Thanks so much!


Definitely the double decker instead of the boat cruise. That the best part cuz you see it all....
Back to top

littleprincess




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Jan 19 2020, 2:48 am
U can take the underground from Heathrow airport to Green park. That's where the palace is.
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Jan 19 2020, 2:53 am
I thought the City of London Museum was very nice for both adults and kids. Certainly a good option if there is rain.

The Tower of London is fascinating.

Either of those (or the above suggestions) coupled with a double-decker bus ride and lunch can easily fill a day.
Back to top

Raisin




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:15 pm
I think Reubens may be closed. Check it is open.

London Eye is expensive and a bit boring. Changing of the guards is definitely a good option.

Google maps can help you figure out how to get to and from each location.
Back to top

angelgirl




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:03 pm
Raisin wrote:
I think Reubens may be closed. Check it is open.

London Eye is expensive and a bit boring. Changing of the guards is definitely a good option.

Google maps can help you figure out how to get to and from each location.


Reubens was closed but has now reopened.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:28 pm
Okay, I think I'm set on the expensive and boring London Eye, the double decker bus, hopefully changing of the guards (if we get there on time), Reubens and whatever we get off the bus at.

Should I be booking the London Eye and double decker bus ticket online in advance?

Thanks so much for all your input!
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:34 pm
The London Eye is basically a slooooow ride up and then down, as it fills up each car.....

I would try to get in the Tower of London if you could. So much more interesting, I've been there twice and I would go back.
Back to top

amother




Powderblue
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:40 pm
I would skip the food. Not worth the time it’s going to take. Focus on touring you have a lot on your list and youre traveling with kids.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I would skip the food. Not worth the time it’s going to take. Focus on touring you have a lot on your list and youre traveling with kids.


I don't think my kids will make it through an entire day without sitting down somewhere to breathe and eat...
Back to top

amother




Powderblue
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't think my kids will make it through an entire day without sitting down somewhere to breathe and eat...
pack sandwiches and sit in a park. Or get from Selfridges. But you have a lot planned and not that much time so something in your schedule will have to give ...
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Vacation and Traveling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Kept my kids home
by amother
52 Today at 6:06 pm View last post
Orlando with kids. SeaWorld? Disney? Sesame Street?
by amother
7 Today at 2:42 pm View last post
Who’s keeping their kids home today ?
by amother
22 Yesterday at 6:13 pm View last post
Confused. Non of my kids are night trained
by amother
17 Yesterday at 4:20 pm View last post
YK activity ideas for my kids
by amother
4 Sun, Sep 27 2020, 11:00 am View last post