Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"Shoemaker's children go barefoot"
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 12:05 pm
This is just humorous. I'm a civil engineer and I'm designing a wastewater treatment plant for a large project right now. My sewer pipe had a leak in my basement last week. We had to clean up sewage. Ha ha ha..

nchr

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:32 am
I think part of the issue here is that when it comes to your own family, it often comes with tremendous responsibility and pressure, which can make it more difficult and harder to actually address.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:06 pm
I'm a teacher, and whenever I try to help my daughter with her homework, she refuses to listen because "my teacher told me that isn't the answer. " I'm talking about things like 7+8. She claims her teacher told her the answer is 16. Or her teacher told her the United States is a continent.

I have 26 students who hang on to my every word, but my first grader thinks I have room temperature IQ.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:26 pm
I only read the op and didn’t read the comments yet so not sure if this was brought up but I see this with myself!!! I’m a preschool Morah and ran many successful classrooms of close to twenty 3-year-old children yet I feel like I cannot handle my own 3-year-old!! After years of giving my students’ parents advice on how to handle specific behaviors, I’m at a loss with How to work through many of my own child’s behaviors... Sad

imabima

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 1:34 pm
I'm a seamstress and complete my work promptly...with a 2-foot high pile of my family's clothing that needs fixing.

(edited for spelling error)

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 4:05 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
My husband is a travel agent and when it’s just him or us we always fly first class. We’ve done business class with the kids a few times as well. He’s always off somewhere and would take me along more often if not for me not wanting to leave the kids. As it is once a year we get to tour some exotic places together unless I have a newborn in which case we do domestic.

Wow. Good for you.
I had no idea there are still people in the travel industry who are earning a nice living.
Thought it was a dying industry.
My husband is in the business-though he’s an employee and works on commission-and we live paycheck to paycheck.
The profit he earns is meager, and it’s nearly impossible to compete with the shtick-on the internet as well as points etc...
We can’t afford to travel at all.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 11:56 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I'm a teacher, and whenever I try to help my daughter with her homework, she refuses to listen because "my teacher told me that isn't the answer. " I'm talking about things like 7+8. She claims her teacher told her the answer is 16. Or her teacher told her the United States is a continent.

I have 26 students who hang on to my every word, but my first grader thinks I have room temperature IQ.

I may adopt that room temperature iq line if that’s ok (not on myself Wink ) LOL

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 12:52 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

That's a sign that her school has the attitude that the teacher is always right no matter what.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 4:08 pm
“ Is it because whatever we are good at, we subconsciously like sharing with people, rather than our family. After all, if I'm good listener, and listen to my kids, who will know about it.“

This is exactly it!!! I know one SAHMs who excels at taking care of her family. People think it’s weird that her youngest of 5 is six and she doesn’t work outside the home, but she doesn’t care. She doesn’t care if people don’t know what she does with her time; she herself knows.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 4:59 pm
I was thinking about this and remembered that my mother is responsible for a budget of billions at work. So she made a deal with my dad that he takes care of the house budget. Bc she doesn't want to deal with money after doing it all day... I wonder how often that's the case?

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 7:32 pm
singleagain wrote:
I was thinking about this and remembered that my mother is responsible for a budget of billions at work. So she made a deal with my dad that he takes care of the house budget. Bc she doesn't want to deal with money after doing it all day... I wonder how often that's the case?

Quite often, I would expect, unless the person is one of the fortunate few who love their work so much they’ll do it on their own time, too.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 8:39 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I'm a professional photographer too. My kids get their picture taken quite often but I can't get a full session of them like I would if I hired someone. I wish I could do a paid family session at a photographer I adore but unfortunately I can't afford it.

So halfways. I have more pictures of them than I would have if I wouldn't be a photographer and had to hire someone, but I never hire anyone anymore because "I can do it myself so why spend money".

About therapists and marriage counselors, I don't believe you can do therapy on your own family.

Fellow photographer here. I do hire photographers to photograph my family and take on extra clients to cover the cost.
Curious, which photographer would you choose if you would hire someone?

Dolly1

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I'm a professional photographer too. My kids get their picture taken quite often but I can't get a full session of them like I would if I hired someone. I wish I could do a paid family session at a photographer I adore but unfortunately I can't afford it.

So halfways. I have more pictures of them than I would have if I wouldn't be a photographer and had to hire someone, but I never hire anyone anymore because "I can do it myself so why spend money".

About therapists and marriage counselors, I don't believe you can do therapy on your own family.

Fellow photographer here. I do hire photographers to photograph my family and take on extra clients to cover the cost.
Curious, which photographer would you choose if you would hire someone?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:06 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
That's a sign that her school has the attitude that the teacher is always right no matter what.

Nah, really not. It's a very common behavior for that age.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics