Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
One night in NYC
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 4:52 pm
This is the first time since I had my first baby that I am having a night just me and dh. I am suprising him and going to NYC for the night and staying at the Sheraton.

I am looking for ideas for
a- place to eat.
I was going to go all out and go to prime grill or some other expensive fleishig place, but if any of you have an idea for either a milchig or fleishig place where the atmosphere is romantic/quiet and that won't hurt my wallet as much, that would be amazing! THe best would be if it's walking distance to the sheraton (811 7th avenue- few minutes from times square).

b- what to do. I'm assuming it will be really cold out so it has to be indoors. I'm looking for something for motsei shabbos (I don't go to shows/movies...) and something for sunday morning.

thanks in advance!

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 4:59 pm
olympic grill is cheaper than the prime grill variety, but I just went on Sunday and it's pretty. It's fleishig - laffa, meat, salads really yummy and not as bad on the wallet as some of the other places. It's also dark.

Search other threads though, this has been discussed to death and you can find out everyone's ideas.

Lani22

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 5:10 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
olympic grill is cheaper than the prime grill variety, but I just went on Sunday and it's pretty. It's fleishig - laffa, meat, salads really yummy and not as bad on the wallet as some of the other places. It's also dark.

Search other threads though, this has been discussed to death and you can find out everyone's ideas.

ooo Olympic Pita is the perfect place- I had totally forgotten about it!
Ice Skating in Central Park is a nice cold weather activity.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 5:33 pm
abigails is very nice, its near times square.
le marais is delicious, and they have a prix fix steak, salad, fries for I think 18 a person.
I love window shopping and walking around times square, u can do those pictures ppl draw of u....
or, if I were u, and were going away for the first time without ur baby, I would look for things to do that are relaxing...
have fun!!

peach

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 5:36 pm
Things to do:

1. Take a horse and buggy ride around Manhattan (at night) or around Central Park (during the day). Its cold out, but they give you a warm blanket. You can pick them up around Central Park- not exactly sure which part of it...

2. go to Toys R Us Times Square, fun place!!

3. take tour of NBC studio or other studios

4. Browse stores like FAO Schwartz, etc.

5. Watch an IMAX (there are very kosher ones about nature things- I dont know if you include this in 'not watching movies').

6. go to a museum- ex: Sony museum, Museum of television and radio, etc.

7. .............I'll keep thinking!!

Beauty and the Beast

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 5:37 pm
good idea, horse and buggy!!

MahPitom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 6:56 pm
On Broadway and 37, try Mr. Broadway. Great prices and heavenly food.

Maybe you can go shopping with hubby for MEN things? Florsheim… They actually love it when it’s all about THEM. And macy’s walk in first floor is men’s so that is sure to be a hit.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 7:08 pm
Only thing is, Mr. Broadway is not so romantic or dark or quiet. sorry mah pitom

MahPitom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 7:10 pm
If you want romantic, go to “my most favorite food’ but it will hurt your wallet

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 7:13 pm
Also, dh and most of the other husbands don't like it. It's expensive and as dh says, "the portions are small."

Lavana is quiet, fancy and beautiful but $$$ but it's dh's favorite of all of the restaurants.

Tell us how much you want to spend.

cassandra

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 7:36 pm
If you want less pricey than Prime Grill but good atmosphere and want to take a cab- go to Mike's Bistro on the UWS.

If you want to stay close to Times Square area I second Beauty's suggestion of Abigael's-- it is a good ambience (very big so seating is spread out, romantic lighting) not crazy expensive, and the food is solid.

simplesima

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 10:41 pm
try Le Carnie I think its located on 3rd and 38th st, fleishig steak house might be a little cheaper than Prime Grill and its supposed to be romatic as well

Squash

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 10:50 pm
La Carne Grill is just like solo, but a little cheaper. not much cheaper.

enjoy your time away and get back refreshed and reconnected......

slimnglam

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 10:51 pm
Mimisinger wrote:

No way!!!!! I was there Sunday too!!!!! What time were you there? We were there from 9 until about 10:30 with another couple.

You never know where you'll see a fellow Imamother!!!

yedidya's mom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 11:22 pm
I dont think Mike's Bistro is cheaper than prime Grill- though it is a great restaurant! Both are not such romantic/quiet places to eat.
Also, I think I mentioned this is another thread but there is ice skating in Bryant park which is really fun and close to times square (40th and 5th I think)

UPTOWN GIRL

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 11:29 pm
I was just by the sherraton on 7th last week we at at night motzia shabbos at my most favoriate and Sunday afternoon we went to cake k

traveler

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 12:01 am
When ever we go to the city for a night, I usually book myself a massage while my husband goes to Minyan in the morning. Sometimes we both go for pedicures...not sure it's your style but it is relaxing and enjoyable.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 11:00 am
thanks for the replies!
one of you mentioned minyan, which reminds me- where's the closest place dh can find a minyan sunday morning?

also, I should have mentioned beforehand that abigaels, va bene, teverie, gusto va mer are out because we've done those before and I want to try somehting new. so where else is the coziests, most romantic atmosphere in the city. forget about price, the ambience is worth it.

about imax, I would do that but it looks like the one showing now is about dinasours which I think is a bit wrong hashkafically.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 3:00 pm
no one knows about minyanim in nyc?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 3:11 pm
Eichler's has a minyan during the week, I believe, but I'm not sure about Sundays.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics