Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Help me brainstorm - old ladies theme
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:35 pm
This is how I’d put a costume together :

Short old sheitel (you can cut one) and spray with silver spray
A dress
A sweater
A pair of reading glasses in the tip of the nose
Beige /nude thick stockings
Fuzzy slippers
Cane
Bright blue eye shadow and bright pink lipstick with very pink blush.[/quote] this was helpful. Thanks so much

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 2:19 pm
I think it could be done respectfully or mockingly. You could dress up as an old lady and put a pillow in to make a hunch, and walk all wobbly with a stick, that would be mocking. But if you dress up tastefully in accessories older women wear I think it could look cute.

pause

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:07 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I’m sorry to whoever gets offended. I find the PC attitude to Purim costumes pathetic. There I said it.
So many children want to emulate their elderly and wiser grand parents , great grandparents and other seniors in their life. These are people they look up to. Old age is a beautiful thing. Why on earth does EVERYTHING always need to be twisted to be something negative?

This is how I’d put a costume together :

Short old sheitel (you can cut one) and spray with silver spray
A dress
A sweater
A pair of reading glasses in the tip of the nose
Beige /nude thick stockings
Fuzzy slippers
Cane
Bright blue eye shadow and bright pink lipstick with very pink blush.

Don't forget a long pearl necklace!

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:16 am
https://youtu.be/hEYwVrueu78

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:49 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AGXnU3I1-w

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
It's amazing you can't see the difference. People strive to be police officers. They take a test and go to school.

No one wants to be old and infirm. Why not dress the kids up as down syndrome kids? It's just as offensive. You are making fun of a disability.

This is so twisted.
When did old age become a disability?!

I strive to be old, I Daven that I should age. Yes I want the white hair, yes when my outfit will look like they came from a thrift shop I will feel accomplished.
Wrinkles are a sign of aging. I want to age.
What the H is going on with people?

sub

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 11:48 am
Blush
Is there someone in your life who is old and disabled and not functioning on their own?
If so I understand why you are upset.

However when I think grandma I remember my gmothers and they had short shaitels with sturdy shoes, pearl necklace and clothing that were definitely not latest fashion,a huge pocketbook with nosh and cake and drinks and lots of love to give.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:47 pm
white crocheted cape with holes. a floral housecoat with snaps in front. long vest smock buttoned down.a full white apron with top & bottom for shabbos

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:32 am
My bubby would have laughed and loved it.

Why is it presumed that being old is bad?? I can't wait till I'm old! I can dress how I want. I can say what I want! My aunt wears crocs to weddings! My MIL says whatever she wants bless her soul. Cannot wait till its my turn.. hmm I wonder when I can start?!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:51 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
This doesn't sound credible. Anyway, that might have been one crazy dr if this story is true. I would probably tell someone IRL that her kids are dressed cute, but I would think she is an insensitive fool. Any that's OK if OP doesn't care what people think of her.

OP's little girls could be fancy ladies instead.

It doesn't. It sounds like someone trying to belittle how offensive it is to dress as a racial or ethnic stereotype, and made up something outrageous to show how silly she thinks it is. Maybe not the poster; maybe she heard it from the fabricator.

Dressing as a doctor, or a police officer, or a fire fighter is offensive.

Dressing as an Asian person is offensive. That's an ethnicity, not a costume. In fact, dressing as any "ethnicity" other than your own is offensive.

As to dressing as an older person, most older people don't look or act like the stereotypical costume. How many people in their 70s do you know who are hunched over, with a walker, baggy dress, cardigan and white hair in a bun.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:52 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
It doesn't. It sounds like someone trying to belittle how offensive it is to dress as a racial or ethnic stereotype, and made up something outrageous to show how silly she thinks it is. Maybe not the poster; maybe she heard it from the fabricator.

Dressing as an Asian person is offensive. That's an ethnicity, not a costume. In fact, dressing as any "ethnicity" other than your own is offensive.

As to dressing as an older person, most older people don't look or act like the stereotypical costume. How many people in their 70s do you know who are hunched over, with a walker, baggy dress, cardigan and white hair in a bun.

And look at the pictures you sent: women who let their hair go natural. Many frum women are still trending brunette in their 70s.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 12:07 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

Although my friend who it happened with said it happened! I was talking to her right after it happened and she said she thought she didn't understand because um, what?? You definitely don't need to believe me but I'm just saying
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics