Home

Kid misbehaving and being punished/sent home

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:48 am
my boys are no goody-goodys and occasionally are punished or sent home. what I can't stand about the school is that the young girl secretary calls me on behalf of the principal. I don't get it I think the principal should have the decency to call and explain what happened so we know what were dealing with. the secretary knows nothing when I ask her even for a little explanation. makes no sense to me.
what do other schools do?
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:50 am
Did you ask her if you can speak to the principal about it?
Back to top

amother




Taupe
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:58 am
How have your conversations gone with the principal in the past? Did you make excuses? Did you listen to his suggestions to improve their behaviorm If he doesn't feel they were productive, perhaps that's why the secretary is the one communicating with you.

What measures are you taking to insure their behavior doesn't continue to be disruptive?
Back to top

notshanarishona




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:02 am
Typically when a incident such as that happens the teacher or principal should reach out to you within a few hours - typically after the business day is over. You can't expect a call from a teacher while she is teaching a class and principals don't like to call before they know all the details in my experience. (A teacher for 10+ years )
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:16 pm
I can't imagine telling parent to pick up, unless those are big kids, but then still I'd want to know they're out
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:19 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Typically when a incident such as that happens the teacher or principal should reach out to you within a few hours - typically after the business day is over. You can't expect a call from a teacher while she is teaching a class and principals don't like to call before they know all the details in my experience. (A teacher for 10+ years )

The principal should be the one making the decision to send a child home from school, and that decision shouldn’t be made without all the details.
Back to top

MiracleMama




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:21 pm
I'm curious what sort of behavior is getting a kid sent home.
Back to top

amother




Wheat
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:29 pm
One of my elementary school aged kids bit a classmate and I was told that if it happens again they'll get sent home which I thought was very fair. The call came from the assistant principal, there is no reason a secretary should be involved and you need to be told the full story from someone involved.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:18 pm
we called and asked for the principal but he's not in his office/not available etc... and we are receptive to what the principals say. we dont brush it off either. I really wanted to know if this is normal that the (meek) secretary gets involved. thanks for e/o's replies.
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
we called and asked for the principal but he's not in his office/not available etc... and we are receptive to what the principals say. we dont brush it off either. I really wanted to know if this is normal that the (meek) secretary gets involved. thanks for e/o's replies.


Nope, it's not the norm for the secretary to be making such phone calls. The principal or teacher should be doing so. I would tell her that you can't send my child home if you don't tell me the exact reason he's being sent home.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:25 pm
I have gotten calls from the secretary to pick up my kid BUT when I got to the school, I spoke in person to the menahel/english principal. Our secretary is a mature older woman and definitely not meek. She can tell me hes dysregulated and needs to go home and regroup. The principal will usually give me more details in person.
Back to top

amother




Lawngreen
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
my boys are no goody-goodys and occasionally are punished or sent home. what I can't stand about the school is that the young girl secretary calls me on behalf of the principal. I don't get it I think the principal should have the decency to call and explain what happened so we know what were dealing with. the secretary knows nothing when I ask her even for a little explanation. makes no sense to me.
what do other schools do?

I don't think it's normal and had the exact same experience too many times to count!!
And then you're supposed to deal with the kid without knowing why he was sent home... Banging head
Back to top

amother




Lime
 

Post  Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:28 pm
No, that's super unprofessional. The only time the secretary calls to pick up one of my kids is when someone is sick. The principal handles all disciplinary matters.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Which sins are punished with kares?
by amother
40 Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:07 am View last post
Son being punished for punching the bully - Update
by amother
59 Wed, Feb 12 2020, 1:43 pm View last post
Little kid theme ideas
by amother
23 Wed, Feb 12 2020, 1:11 pm View last post
Kid walks loud - slippers help?
by amother
2 Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:38 pm View last post
Help with supper menu post-sheva brachos, kid-friendly
by amother
4 Sat, Feb 01 2020, 8:01 pm View last post
by DVOM

Jump to: