Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Food as reward/Taking away treats as punishment
Previous  1  2

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 10:53 am
YES. It teaches to eat when you are not hungry, it teaches that a basic human self care need can be removed as punishment, it teaches to eat for emotions, it sets the pattern we turn to as adults to treat or reward ourselves, We are humans, a level of creation above animals. We aren't lab rats. Or Pavlov 's dogs.

Realize these habits are set by parents for us for life. Some of us win over them, most of us usually go back to our roots. And struggle. We don't give or take showers as rewards or punishments, nor use bathroom privelages as that, nor sleep. We would do well to not do this with food. Its easy, for sure. There are other methods out there.

zaftigmom

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 1:52 pm
I'm super against using food as a reward or punishment but there are exceptions to every rule. If kids are misbehaving you can threaten to cancel an ice cream trip the same way you can take away screen time as long as it's not your go to punishment.

In our house a treat is any food the kids like that we don't always have readily available including seasonal fruit or time consuming meals or foods lacking in nutritional value.

sleepybeauty

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 1:57 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I think moderation is ok. Always using food as a reward will probably have negative effects such as eating too much junk but once in a while, mixed in with other prizes/privileges, I think it's ok.

I agree with this. Mix candy rewards with small toys, stickers, special time together, a high five... I believe the parents’ relationship with food has a much greater impact on the child than the occasional treat.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 12:52 pm
My mom was a really crappy parent.

She tried taking away junk food as.a.punishment for us, and while I don't think it's really a good parenting technique, I don't mind it and don't think it hurt me or my relationship with food.

It was definitely way better than other.things she tried like hitting and shaming. That stuff I can't forgive her for and I'm 30. The taking away junk food I'm not at all upset about it.

TLDR: I wouldn't.do.it with my kids, but I'm not at all upset that my mom.did.it with us.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 1:50 pm
I sometimes (more often that I would like to admit) bribe my toddler with dried fruit.
Any ideas of alternatives? I really don't want to bribe with food but I don't know what else would work for him.. Any ideas?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics