Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Gas ,electric or induction

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:33 am
What is the easiest to cook with?

perquacky

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:41 am
We've had all three at one point in our lives, and I'd have to vote for gas. I don't like the look of electric burners, and our induction cooktop was the worst. Even water burned and left marks, and I found it extremely difficult to clean. DH is a chef, and although he managed for 15 years with our induction cooktop, he was so very happy when we redid our kitchen and he was finally able to get the 6-burner professional stove he so badly wanted.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:04 am
I love my induction cooktop. A small pot of water will boil in a minute. The cooktop cools down instantly. It's a dream to clean. It always looks clean because the glass wipes right off. It looks sleek and beautiful. It looks brand new after 5 years.

I also have gas which I love for certain types of cooking.

I also had electric. You don't have the control with electric that you do with gas and induction.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:08 am
I used to have gas and now have electric. I love it. I use it as extra surface space when it's not in use. Much easier to clean a flat glass surface than a regular gas hob.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:10 am
You can't kasher induction. I had to use one for Pesach once, and we had to get metal disks to rest the pots on, and that wasn't simple either. Ask your rav.

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:16 am
I'm redoing my kitchen now and the appliance place recommended I do induction for my milichig side which will only have 2 burners. I'm not thrilled about having to buy a whole new set of pots but I hear its a safer way to cook also with kids.

will be following this thread...

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:26 am
I had gas. When I moved I bought electric. I'm never going back to gas again. Electric is that much easier to maintain.
Eta: for dairy I have a gas cooktop that's cuz I wanted some gas in the house. I didn't mind cuz I use dairy very little.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:30 am
tweety1 wrote:
I had gas. When I moved I bought electric. I'm never going back to gas again. Electric is that much easier to maintain.
Eta: for dairy I have a gas cooktop that's cuz I wanted some gas in the house. I didn't mind cuz I use dairy very little.

I hated electric. There's a time lag between when you reduce the temperature, and when the coils actually cool down, meaning that you have less control over your cooking.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:32 am
Gas all the way!!!
It’s the most authentic way to cook!
I used to have gas, now I have electric and I miss the gas so much.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:32 am
I have gas and electric. I like the gas much more. The electric takes so much longer to heat it’s very annoying. You also don’t have that feel of adjusting the flame. On the pro side, it is sleeker looking and easier to clean. I never had induction so can’t comment on that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:22 pm
What type of cooking is easier with gas?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What type of cooking is easier with gas?

Stir fry, or any other type of frying. I hate my electric burners, because they never get hot enough, and the veggies just steam and get soggy. I wish my building had gas, but it doesn't. I may get a one burner propane cooker some day, I don't know yet.

I'm getting an induction one next, and I made sure to order one with a safety feature that shuts off if it's been left on too long. No more accidentally burning things.

Someone upthread said that they need new pots for induction. What does that mean? I need to get a new dairy frying pan, should I be looking for a certain type?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:17 pm
For kashering purposes, especially for Pesach, gas is recommended. New electric models have major shailos and not necessarily recommended lchatchila. Gas stoves are also more beneficial for Yom tov...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen