Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Lily
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 2:35 am
My aunt (in her mid 60s) is Lilly short for Lillian. Her Hebrew name is Liba.
I also have a younger relative who is secular, but born MO, who recently named their now toddler Lilly.
So it can go either way.

miami85

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 2:38 am
There's a strong opinion that "shoshana" is really a Lily, not a rose. I've known a lot of Jewish Lily-s

miami85

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 2:41 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
It sounds too close to the the name "lillith" Not good name. Know a few women named lillian which is very similar and unfortunately, many are divorced.

Having been involved with a few pregnancy forums, I found it amazing how many people were OK with using the name Lillith and had NO idea the connotation of the name "Just liked how it sounds"--I'm like your OK with naming your daughter after a supposed "she-devil"??? oookay.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 3:53 am
Love it! We have quite a few lily's here where I live in the uk. Its adorable. Beshoah Tovah

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 4:18 am
Halleli is a trendy Israeli name right now; I could easily imagine it shortening to Lily as a nickname.

etky

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 4:33 am
So this really dates me but Lily to me will forever be Lily Munster. Wink
Stripped of that association, I think the name itself is nice enough and if it's trendy now, as people say, and no longer has the stigma of being an old person's name as it was in my generation then why not use it if you llke it?
Lily in Hebrew is a שושן .Lily of the valley is שושנת העמקים and a water lily is a שושנת מים. It's pretty much accepted nowadays that Shoshana in tanach is a Lily. By the time of chazal roses were already being referred to as ורדים. I don't know what roses were actually called in tanach or even if they were ever specifically referrenced.
חבצלת is also used for lily but I think that botanically speaking it really refers only to a very specific type.

malki2

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 5:18 am
etky wrote:
So this really dates me but Lily to me will forever be Lily Munster. Wink
Stripped of that association, I think the name itself is nice enough and if it's trendy now, as people say, and no longer has the stigma of being an old person's name as it was in my generation then why not use it if you llke it?
Lily in Hebrew is a שושן .Lily of the valley is שושנת העמקים and a water lily is a שושנת מים. It's pretty much accepted nowadays that Shoshana in tanach is a Lily. By the time of chazal roses were already being referred to as ורדים. I don't know what roses were actually called in tanach or even if they were ever specifically referrenced.
חבצלת is also used for lily but I think that botanically speaking it really refers only to a very specific type.

What is כשושן בין החוחים if not a rose? What other flower has thorns?

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 5:25 am
malki2 wrote:
What is כשושן בין החוחים if not a rose? What other flower has thorns?

Welcome to Israel, land of the pokey plants. Many of not most perennials here end up growing spines or pricklies of some kind.

Also - the chazal doesn't mandate that the thorns and the flower are growing from the same plant. Take a walk down a wild hill in this time of year, and you'll see the most amazing wildflowers popping up amongst the perennial sirim bushes. It's quite startlingly beautiful.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 5:42 am
miami85 wrote:
Having been involved with a few pregnancy forums, I found it amazing how many people were OK with using the name Lillith and had NO idea the connotation of the name "Just liked how it sounds"--I'm like your OK with naming your daughter after a supposed "she-devil"??? oookay.

She’s a feminist icon to some.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 5:50 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

Ewwwwwwwwwww

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 6:10 am
I love that name but im called leah so I couldnt really use lily for a child. I love names of flowers as childrens names.
If I had my way id have a whole florist lol LOL

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 6:16 am
I think it's a pretty name but I don't like the flower. If someone gives me lilies I throw them out - I hate the smell and many people are allergic to them. And I don't like the way they look either.

malki2

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 6:24 am
Rappel wrote:
Welcome to Israel, land of the pokey plants. Many of not most perennials here end up growing spines or pricklies of some kind.

Also - the chazal doesn't mandate that the thorns and the flower are growing from the same plant. Take a walk down a wild hill in this time of year, and you'll see the most amazing wildflowers popping up amongst the perennial sirim bushes. It's quite startlingly beautiful.

The pokey plants and the pokey people 😀.

Interesting, I always took Shoshone meaning rose for granted. I’ll have to look into it. But what is the source of this? Is it modern Hebrew? Because in many cases modern Hebrew is different than לשון הקודש. For example the word נמר means tiger in modern Hebrew and in לשון הקודש it means leopard.

And what about all the Shoshanas who have the English name Rose??

etky

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:31 am
malki2 wrote:

Interesting, I always took Shoshone meaning rose for granted. I’ll have to look into it. But what is the source of this? Is it modern Hebrew? Because in many cases modern Hebrew is different than לשון הקודש. For example the word נמר means tiger in modern Hebrew and in לשון הקודש it means leopard.

Actually נמר in modern Hebrew is still leapord. Tiger is טיגריס. But people use the word incorrectly all the time.
Shoshana being identified as rose is a popular misconception that began back in medieval times, if not earlier. Some of the mefarshim of tanach also made this mistake so I imagine that perpetuated the misidentification.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:46 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I love that name but im called leah so I couldnt really use lily for a child. I love names of flowers as childrens names.
If I had my way id have a whole florist lol LOL

Awww I have a Dalia 😍

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:44 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

So is every bad woman.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know it's old fashioned but I still like it. Also I know it's not a Hebrew name, although a few people of my grandmother's age were named this. I know it's dated. As far as I know it simply means the flower. Yes it's simple, but ine Lily I knew was extremely good and kind and also a strong woman.
What do you think?

I think it’s important for us to be called by our Hebrew names.

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 1:09 pm
malki2 wrote:

The source is based upon the types of flowers I indigenous to certain areas where the word shoshana is used in Tanach.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 1:27 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
It sounds too close to the the name "lillith" Not good name. Know a few women named lillian which is very similar and unfortunately, many are divorced.

LOL I'm sorry but lol.
if Rachel isn't Recha and for some feigel isn't feiga, then Lili isn't Lilith.

My aunt Lili was Léa

etky

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 1:30 pm
nchr wrote:
The source is based upon the types of flowers I indigenous to certain areas where the word shoshana is used in Tanach.

So I found this fascinating article by wild-flower expert Dr. Uzi Paz, about the identification of the biblical shoshana. Spoiler - or the bottom line for those who don't want to plow through the entire (Hebrew) article - he disputes the reigning theory proffered by the late Prof. Yehuda Felix (considered the authoritative voice regarding the flora and fauna of bibilical and talmudic era Israel) and supported by other scholars, that the shoshana is a lily. Instead, based indeed on the location of the shoshana and its other features as described in Tanach, he identifies it as....an iris!

http://www.kalanit.org.il/%D7%.....7%9D/
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names