Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Lily
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 1:46 pm
miami85 wrote:
Having been involved with a few pregnancy forums, I found it amazing how many people were OK with using the name Lillith and had NO idea the connotation of the name "Just liked how it sounds"--I'm like your OK with naming your daughter after a supposed "she-devil"??? oookay.

What is Lillith? What type of devil? Feeling so slow. Sad

etky

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 1:52 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
What is Lillith? What type of devil? Feeling so slow. Sad

So if Lily is the wife of Herman Munster, then Lillith is, of course, the ex-wife of Dr. Fraser Crane Smile
Yes, I know, that dates me too Sad

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 1:54 pm
I know a few people named Lily of varying ages, it's definitely not an old lady name, and is pretty classic. And while it can be a nickname for Lilian, it's also a standalone name.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 1:55 pm
etky wrote:
So if Lily is the wife of Herman Munster, then Lillith is, of course, the ex-wife of Dr. Fraser Crane Smile
Yes, I know, that dates me too Sad

I'm a millennial. Wink No clue what you're talking about.

Seriously though, why did someone mention that the name Lilith connotes a devil?

etky

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 1:58 pm
I'm a millennial. Wink No clue what you're talking about.

Seriously though, why did someone mention that the name Lilith connotes a devil?

Because in Jewish folklore, in the Talmud even, she is a demon - one who was the first wife of Adam Harishon. She is considered to be an evil temptress.
I think she also appears in Kabbala.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 2:01 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
not familiar with this name for young people. I picture someone a bit geriatric using this name so I do not like this name for a little baby. (aside for the fact that I do not like English names)

Names are cyclical. The names that were popular when I was a kid are no longer used; the names I think of as old people names are now toddlers. Re Lily, it was the 31st most popular girls name in the US in 2018; all the old flower names are "in" now.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 2:06 pm
etky wrote:
Because in Jewish folklore, in the Talmud even, she is a demon - one who was the first wife of Adam Harishon. She is considered to be an evil temptress.

She was said to have been created with Adam, from the same clay as him (not like Eve, who was created from Adam). See Genesis 1:27 for the only written Torah reference I'm aware of.

Doesn't she supposedly to steal newborn babies?

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 3:07 pm
etky wrote:
So I found this fascinating article by wild-flower expert Dr. Uzi Paz, about the identification of the biblical shoshana. Spoiler - or the bottom line for those who don't want to plow through the entire (Hebrew) article - he disputes the reigning theory proffered by the late Prof. Yehuda Felix (considered the authoritative voice regarding the flora and fauna of bibilical and talmudic era Israel) and supported by other scholars, that the shoshana is a lily. Instead, based indeed on the location of the shoshana and its other features as described in Tanach, he identifies it as....an iris!

http://www.kalanit.org.il/%D7%.....7%9D/

So cool! Thank you for this!

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 3:08 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
She was said to have been created with Adam, from the same clay as him (not like Eve, who was created from Adam). See Genesis 1:27 for the only written Torah reference I'm aware of.

Doesn't she supposedly to steal newborn babies?

I've never heard that. But after she ran off from Adam and did her own thing, she supposedly spawned all the demons - whatever that means.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 3:23 pm
etky wrote:

Nice and spooky lol.

Just asked my husband and he said she is discussed in gemara and is a female שד. (demon)

Whatever; we'll never know what any of these stuff mean anyways.

So don't name your daughter Lilith nor your son Ashmedai.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 3:25 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Names are cyclical. The names that were popular when I was a kid are no longer used; the names I think of as old people names are now toddlers. Re Lily, it was the 31st most popular girls name in the US in 2018; all the old flower names are "in" now.

Speaking of names I’m curious how you chose your screen name considering the implications

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 1:41 pm
I love the name Lily. I always have. It brings a very pretty and graceful picture to mind. I also don't think Lillian is a bad name, and it would make a good "professional" legal first name, if she ever wanted to be a lawyer or something. People would definitely take a "Lillian" seriously. Lily could also be short for Leanna, which I like a lot.

Speaking of flower names, I just moved to a street called Ha Kalanit. Such a coincidence! Flower

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:23 pm
Lillian is still seen as a bit old-fashioned, but in a good way, and it's having a comeback.

TheNeutralOne

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:39 pm
Nice and spooky lol.

Just asked my husband and he said she is discussed in gemara and is a female שד. (demon)

Whatever; we'll never know what any of these stuff mean anyways.

So don't name your daughter Lilith nor your son Ashmedai.

This.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names