Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
WWYD- volunteer firefighter texting while driving ambulance

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:21 am
Curious what others think-

Was driving to work today and in the lane next to me was a volunteer firefighter ambulance. We were at a red light, and the driver was texting. This annoyed me, for obvious reasons. I noticed also that she was letting up on the brakes a little bit, so her vehicle was actually moving (albeit slowly) up a bit for a few seconds at a time, while she was still engrossed in her phone. I snapped a picture, intending to send it to the department because I was so disgusted (which I guess makes me a bit of a hypocrite, using MY phone at a red light)

When the light turned green I glanced over a few times, she still had her phone in her hand, at steering wheel level, and didn't seem to be actively texting anymore but certainly was glancing down at it.

Would you send these pictures in? I took a picture of the license plate so they could presumably identify the driver. I think I'd be doing the right thing by sending them in, but just wanted some input. I feel very 'snitch-y' doing it, but at the same time, she could really hurt someone!!

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:26 am
Yes, if I knew where to send it.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:33 am
I would read this article before sending the picture to the fire department.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....16843

There is usually a good reason for everything. Yes she should be more careful and yes its dangerous. But assume the best while you compose the email.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:42 am
zaq wrote:
Yes, if I knew where to send it.

They have a contact us section on their website..no idea if they actually respond to it though.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:43 am
watergirl wrote:

There is usually a good reason for everything. Yes she should be more careful and yes its dangerous. But assume the best while you compose the email.

I don't intend to be belligerent- it's not my style. But she had a partner with her in the cab. Let him read the message while you keep your eyes on the road!

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:44 pm
Maybe she was putting an address into Waze, and was glancing down at the map?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:59 pm
watergirl wrote:

Look, I don't know whether I would send the picture or not. That being said, common sense tells us that in all likelihood the driver was using her phone in an unsafe manner.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 3:55 pm
My husband is a volunteer paramedic. It is legal for him to use his phone while driving if it’s related to the call.

STR331

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:45 pm
I would never send it . everyone texts and drives and its very dangerous but why should she loose her job bc of it ? u wouldn't loose ur job if someone sent a pic of u texting at a red light . idk

meme6

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:55 pm
She legally is allowed to text while driving sometimes they get texts from the base that they don’t want on the air. She might have been putting in info to help another person with an address.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics