Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If your kids only like one healthy dinner...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:37 am
Would you keep making it? My 2 girls 5&3 love chicken on the bone with broccoli cooked in the pan and rice. Easy and nutritious. Problem is there is nothing else that I make thats healthy where they will eat the whole dinner. They dont touch meat or fish and cutlets- only fried. I want them to be able to eat a variety of foods are teens/adults I dont want to make the same thing on repeat and stifle their tastebuds. On the otherhand a balanced meal that both kids eat beautifully- what more can I ask for ?!!?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:41 am
I would make it for them once or twice a week and offer the leftovers if they don't like the varied dinner I make for Dh and myself.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:23 am
allthingsblue wrote:
I would make it for them once or twice a week and offer the leftovers if they don't like the varied dinner I make for Dh and myself.

They only like it fresh. Its kinda nasty leftover...

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:32 am
then it's a toive to teach them to vary

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:15 am
I would not make it over and over. They need to learn to try other foods.

angelgirl

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:20 am
If you make it over and Over they will go off it and then you won’t have any healthy meals they like. Serve it once a week and the other nights something else they like with raw veggies to get some health into the meal, and once a week try a new healthy meal that they don’t like, which they must at least try one or two spoons. Keep repeating and rotating the other healthy meals until they learn to like them.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:22 am
I would make it three times a week. It’s not like it’s some exotic food or hard to make. They will outgrow it and it’s not worth the fight.

I would make it predictable (sun, tue, Thur.) and let them know the other nights they are expected to taste 5 bites of dinner, if they don’t like it then ob sandwich.

My husbands favorite supper is chicken rice and cauliflower in a pan. God bless my mil.

He grew to like other foods also but still can have that 3x a week.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:26 am
First of all, congratulations on getting more than one child to like the same healthy dinner! That's pretty impressive. I make a variety of meals, and make sure to include st least one component that each child will eat. They also have to taste a bite of the rest, unless they have already tried it in the past and have a strong dislike for it. Often they end up eating more than a few bites of the part they don't like, and a lot of what they do like. If they're still hungry I'll offer something like crackers and cheese, an avocado, matza with almond butter. I would not keep repeating only foods that they already like as I think that reinforces picky eating.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:36 am
Just noticing the ages, they are toddlers... keep exposing. To other foods but let them have what they like often to keep positive food associations.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 2:52 pm
I know someone who fed their child cottage cheese, peppers and whole wheat butter for 12 years. Same dinner every night.

Today she is a healthy grown adult, that eats and appreciates a varied healthy diet.

Feed them chicken, rice and broccoli EVERY NIGHT. They will grow up, guaranteed.

Stars

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 2:57 pm
If you serve the same meal every day or even 3 times a week they will eventually get sick of it. Btdt, not worth it.

Shani88

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 8:13 pm
I would give this to my kids every night (or at beast 4 out of 7 nights) if they are it. So nutritious and healthy!!! How do you make it?? Recipe please
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen