Home

A little rant please don’t attack me lol
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Technology and Devices


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


leah233




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:48 pm
Denying that smartphones cause a lot of damage to many (no not all) people is like denying that molestation takes place.
Back to top

amother




Papaya
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:54 pm
leah233 wrote:
Denying that smartphones cause a lot of damage to many (no not all) people is like denying that molestation takes place.


Smartphones has lots of good uses to it, molestation has none. Molestation needs to be removed from our community, but smartphones are here to stay. Instead of banning, and pretending that it isn't becoming essential to daily life, we need education about proper usage & self control.

All these arguments about smartphones are duplicated from the ones circulated around the time when the printing presses were introduced. History repeats itself, so lets learn from it.
Back to top

amother




Orange
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:56 pm
Smartphones don't cause damage. That's an excuse people use for their own actions that they take using a phone.
Back to top

amother




Royalblue
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:05 pm
A lot of frum people make their own personal issues into a community-wide “problem.” If YOU can’t stop looking at your phone, YOU need help. There are so many tools nowadays that can get people off their phones. You can set time limits on apps, lock them, etc. People just don’t want to take responsibility so they blame blame blame. The issue is not the smartphone. It’s the person using it. And maybe the frum community needs to come together and discuss why so many people feel the need to turn to their smartphones. Convenience? Boredom? Research? Learning?
Back to top

leah233




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:07 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Smartphones don't cause damage. That's an excuse people use for their own actions that they take using a phone.


You may believe that it's just an excuse but the people I know who admit to (e.g) Smartphone addiction didn't have similar addictive issues before they got Smartphones .
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:17 pm
leah233 wrote:
Denying that smartphones cause a lot of damage to many (no not all) people is like denying that molestation takes place.


Do you know the devastating effects that alcohol has on many (no not all) people? Liver disease, wernickes encephalopathy/korsakoff syndrome, total addiction...relationships lost, families destroyed....yet we continue to drink wine for kiddush, arbah kosos etc.

Because we recognize that there is a way to drink alcohol responsibly. And we teach our children and guide them in the proper balance, the correct way to use it.

You want to shield people from every single thing in this world that has the potential to wreak havoc if its misused, im not sure what you'll be left with.
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:49 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
In a different generation he would have found [filth] in a different way. Nothing new under the sun.


It was harder to get, not so readily available, and not as much variety.
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:54 pm
BTW, there are phones like KosherOS that allow you to do a lot of things without a browser.
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:56 pm
The smartphones are presenting many new problems. They are damaging our society and our children. But they are here to stay. Fighting smart phones/ internet is a losing battle. They are horrible but now necessary for pretty much everything (unfortunately).
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Jan 24 2020, 1:38 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
The smartphones are presenting many new problems. They are damaging our society and our children. But they are here to stay. Fighting smart phones/ internet is a losing battle. They are horrible but now necessary for pretty much everything (unfortunately).



Why is it such a terrible thing?
I don’t get it.
There’s no harm if you use it responsibly (with a set time off with a passcode so you can’t go past the time allowed) and access frum Jewish sites like imamother Smile and shopping for things and stuff.

Whatever.
I am newly religious.
I grew up on the internet, movies, tv, yadyadyada.
No harm done. My siblings and I aren’t bad people because we were exposed to a kissing scene and violence.
I became frum because of chabad.org. And yes I have a past. Where I watched movies and tv and saw all kinds of things, I even hated p*rn because from what I heard from my mother she said it was terrible because it’s unrealistic and it makes women look like meat. I watched once as a teen out of curiosity and I was disgusted because my mother was right.

And despite all of this, I became frum.
I use torah anytime for English shiurim
And this site to rant and rave and to ask questions
And Facebook and WhatsApp because I don’t have family here.

All I’m asking is that people shouldn’t think that we smartphone people are addicted (some people are unfortunately but like I said, I have a timer set for 2 am the latest!) or evil people.
Back to top

amother




Seashell
 

Post  Fri, Jan 24 2020, 1:49 am
(I'm Chabad.)

The Lubavitcher Rebbe's sichos were broadcast on cable TV.
One of the Rabbonim I consult with (a world-renowned posek) I communicate with via Whatsapp.
My family puts out a daily study email and podcast, complete with iOS and Android app.
There are Chabad apps for video inspiration, writing to the Rebbe, and learning sichos.
My kids have friends and family around the world that they video chat with regularly.

Not everyone thinks it's evil.

Yes, smartphones have a strong POTENTIAL for misuse, but an equal, if not greater, potential for good.

I wouldn't give my kid an unfiltered smartphone, the same way I wouldn't let them wander the streets alone, but they gradually demonstrate more responsibility and self-control. We teach them how to use devices safely and how to look only at what you should be looking at.

It's just part of education nowadays.
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Jan 24 2020, 5:14 am
most kodesh teachers at our charedi schools have them so

(people who want to behave like animals, will)
Back to top

Roots




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Jan 24 2020, 5:26 am
everything in this world had good and bad . its an equlibrium that must be maintained for the world to exist. the internet is a very very good example of how.
still the rabbis in general oppose having internet/unfiltered smartphones at home.
why?
its destructive more than its good.
and if not, then its a time waster
and if not that, then its a huge lashon hara machine
and if not that, it ruins relationships, chinuch and more

my parents are those ppl that use their phones for' kedusha' purposes: shiurim, etc and im the israeli charedi thats 'against' it because thats what thwe rabbis here hold
in israel to have a smartphonje is not viewed in good light- the rabbis here are against it, if you want ur children in good mosdos they also have a no smartphone policy (uncless its filtered and with a heter) I have a friend whos husband needs his wastapp for work and the rav paskened thats since its a work phone it may be used but it must be left in the car when he comes home after work
some may say that thats weird, but I find it real smart- u have the phone for exactly what u need it for and when ur home ur home!

I think, because it is so addictive, there are so many ppl who defend their right to have their smartphone
but if u disengage for a few days and move to a kosher phone , you discover that all of a sudden you have time
and who cares what everyones writing on watsapp
and u actually call ppl and talk
and hear the radio or check on the computer to hear the news
its nice

if the poskei hador are against internet, I think u should find proofs to strenthen their opinions as opposed to our more simple understanding of this world, the next and all in between(in chochma)
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Jan 24 2020, 5:29 am
Oh hun, it's not about Israel to every one else, nor about whatsaap. It's about how internet can give you literally life. You can find a doctor, you can find your way when lost. I know it participates to a huge teshuva move ment too. Many many many shidduchim. If my rav has a smartphone (with filter!) then I will not go looking for others. Interestingly if you do it for kulos you're wrong, but for chumra online people seem to find it great. It is gaava at best. (never leave a phone in the car unless your insurance is ok with it
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Jan 24 2020, 6:38 am
I'm going to expand on my previous post. Because I spoke about browser-free phones, yet I'm here.
Yes, I do have internet, on a filtered-pc. I just am resisting getting a smart phone because I don't want it all so immediately accessible, wherever I might be.
So I'm not arguing against the good one can do with the internet, just setting some boundaries for myself.
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Jan 24 2020, 7:23 am
Roots wrote:



if the poskei hador are against internet, I think u should find proofs to strenthen their opinions as opposed to our more simple understanding of this world, the next and all in between(in chochma)


Not all the poskei hador are against internet and smartphones. (Obviously filtered and with caution, like I said before)
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post  Fri, Jan 24 2020, 7:40 am
Yes, that ad sounds extreme, but in general, I think the RW world has moved from complete banning to educating on responsible usage in the past few years. Most schools no longer ask if parents have smartphones/internet on their applications; they ask if the phones/computers are filtered. Some will even ask applicants to name their filter.

As for education, hello TAG! Not banning everything right and left, but providing those who are interested with resources and assistance to promote responsible usage of technology. Nearly every BY high school I know of provides their students with the education posters have mentioned upthread which I think is a wonderful thing. Wish the boys schools did it too...Unfortunately, adults are a lot harder to teach.

Totally agree that technology addiction is not a frum problem at all.
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Jan 24 2020, 7:58 am
I feel like the whole phone/internet thing is like sx Ed.

Time and time again, it had been shown that abstinence only teaching will not stop kids from having sx it will just stop them from having safe sx.

Same I think with phones/internet. Don't just ban it, but teach kids how to use it safely.
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:43 am
singleagain wrote:
I feel like the whole phone/internet thing is like sx Ed.

Time and time again, it had been shown that abstinence only teaching will not stop kids from having sx it will just stop them from having safe sx.

Same I think with phones/internet. Don't just ban it, but teach kids how to use it safely.


I'm not sure if it's the same. I would hope our kids (I'm speaking generally here) will be abstinent till marriage.
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:47 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm not sure if it's the same. I would hope our kids (I'm speaking generally here) will be abstinent till marriage.


It's the same idea. You don't let just anyone get behind the wheel of a car without teaching them how to drive safely.

I was speaking generally also, think of all the stories of teen pregnancy, and the rise of STI's. Most of it comes down to a lack of teaching.

Same thing with the phone. If you don't teach kids/adults how to do it safely, they will still do it, just unsafely.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Technology and Devices

Related Topics Replies Last Post
My DH has been hiding this for a while and I don't know WTD. 36 Yesterday at 6:54 pm View last post
My son's don't go to shul. Dh and I argue alot about it
by amother
42 Yesterday at 2:02 pm View last post
Don’t blacks see through the pandering?
by Cheiny
0 Yesterday at 11:40 am View last post
I don’t see much hope for the dems
by malki2
18 Yesterday at 2:03 am View last post
My 2.5 and 5.5 yr old don't listen to a word I say
by amother
6 Mon, Feb 24 2020, 6:42 pm View last post

Jump to: