Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Unilateral hearing loss

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:59 pm
Does anyone have or know anyone who was born with uhl? Can you tell me if and how it affected their childhood growing up and later on with driving ?How did they go about shidduchim?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 12:28 am
An illness in infancy left me with this condition though it wasn’t even noticed till I was about four or five. What it has to do with shidduchim I can’t imagine, except that if a suitor tried whispering sweet nothings in my bad ear, that’s what I’d hear—nothing. Nor can I think what it has to do with driving. Granted I can’t tell if the fire truck is coming from my right or my left but that’s why they have those flashing lights.

I look and act like anyone else. My speech is excellent, I qualify for Mensa and can sing as well as a person with normal hearing. If I bothered practicing I would be able to play a musical instrument as well as sing. Too bad I never bothered practicing.
Socially it’s more of an annoyance tgan anything else. I have a hard time when two people talk at once, and have to turn my head rather sharply towards a person sitting or standing on my deaf side. My neck gets pretty tired and I mishear things. I have a hard time with PA announcements and so on because I do rely a lot on visual cues. If you sit on my deaf side and I’m not looking at you I may not hear you and you may think I’m ignoring you. But people don’t know I have a difficulty unless I tell them.

I can’t switch a phone from one side to another and stereo sounds no different from mono. If you call me in the street I don’t know where to look because I can’t tell what direction the sound comes from. Similarly I can’t navigate by ear, IOW follow the sound. This would be a problem if I had to live as a hunter in the woods.

I couldn’t be a Secret Service agent or a spy because with an earphone in my ear I wouldn’t be able to hear what’s going on around me, just whatever was coming through the earphone. Conducting an orchestra or choir is also out, as I wouldn’t be able to locate the person playing or singing off key or off tempo. Simultaneous translation is another career I never considered. It would be difficult because I can’t really hear someone else talking if I’m talking. I can listen to them or myself but not both at the same time.

Still shaking my head over the shidduchim bit.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 12:35 am
I CAN hear from both ears B"H but I also can't figure out where sounds are coming from. My hearing isn't great, but that never came up in shidduchim. (Neither did my astigmatism, poor handwriting, or anything else.)

In general, any invisible disability that is unlikely to make any significant impact on your life will not make a significant impact on shidduchim, except perhaps for a very small subset of people, who will also be judging your table covers and earring lengths, so I wouldn't take their concern too seriously.

Wishing you much nachas!

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 1:10 am
It may be relevant to shidduchim if hearing loss is congenital.
One may want to avoid pairing up two sides that carry hearing loss genes, in order to minimize risks for offspring.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics