Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Which parent does your kid like more?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:11 am
I have my 5 year old . I love him into pieces. I give him so much love ... but he likes his father (mydh) way more ! He is most of the time glued to my dh . Usually my dh puts him to sleep , yet sometimes will just come out that my dh has a special occasion or something not to be there to put him to sleep so When this happens my ds crys his heart out that he wants tatty (im not good enough) when we go to either my dh parents or my parents he is glued to my dh . I already feel left out or sensing maybe something wrong with me that he likes my dh more?! Is it normal?? I love him. He is my youngest, I give him loads of attention ect. Only wants his father most of the time . In one hand I feel very proud my dh comes across like a good father , it just makes me worry if im ain't good enough?! He runs away when I wanna hug him.. sometimes will come to hug me when he is being convinced. Should I worry or is it normal for certain kids to choose 1 parent they like more?? Please make me feel good.

forgetit

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:14 am
You say it is your youngest. What are your other kids like?
If this is not a recurring pattern, its probably a phase the kid will grow out of. How long is this going on for?

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:15 am
The pendulum keeps swinging Smile

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:20 am
All my young kids like Tatty better. The babies will literally stop nursing and climb off my lap to go to Tatty when he walks in the room. (My midwife didn't believe me until she saw it happen with her own eyes.) Mind you, they are co-sleeping with ME. Doesn't help much!

My nursing 2-year-old once was crying in the middle of the night and nothing I did could calm him, until we called DH on skype (he was driving home from a late meeting) and he sang to him for a half hour.

The older kids start liking me also, probably because I'm more fun to talk to.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:34 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
All my young kids like Tatty better. The babies will literally stop nursing and climb off my lap to go to Tatty when he walks in the room. (My midwife didn't believe me until she saw it happen with her own eyes.) Mind you, they are co-sleeping with ME. Doesn't help much!

My nursing 2-year-old once was crying in the middle of the night and nothing I did could calm him, until we called DH on skype (he was driving home from a late meeting) and he sang to him for a half hour.

The older kids start liking me also, probably because I'm more fun to talk to.

Same here my older kids enjoy me more and come to me more and are more demanding from me, yet my 2 youngest so far love my dh.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:35 am
I have a 16 yo DD. When she gets home from school before me, and I walk in the door and call up hello, she barely acknowledges me with a grunt, if at all. When Daddy comes home, somehow she hears his key in the door, and she comes bouncing down the stairs to greet him. Yet, she comes to me with all her problems, drama, and whining.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:41 am
forgetit wrote:
You say it is your youngest. What are your other kids like?
If this is not a recurring pattern, its probably a phase the kid will grow out of. How long is this going on for?

I have 4 kh my 2 oldest always sticked to me more( but werent sticky types) just when they needed one of us they'd come to me . My 2 younger ones somehow love to cuddle with my dh. My one before my youngest started loving me and dh equally but my youngest so far is very attached to my dh . I have a very hard time with him while my dh is away . My dh was recently on a trip for 7 days and oh did I have hard nights with my youngest each night. My dh was on the phone but nothing helped to calm him down, and I was like. "
im your mother im not a stranger in the house. " im just not getting this need to cry while daddy is away when mom is there holding him and keeping him safe.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:43 am
It's cause tatty is the one coming home so it's more exciting. You are around him constantly so he is not looking forward to you. When you look forward to something you are more excited to have it around. If you'd go on vacation for a few days I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see you back and he'll give you the same hugs that he gives tatty.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:54 pm
I think all my kids like dh more. He’s very permissive and all about having fun, leaving me to be the disciplinarian. To the point of undermining my authority, like if I’d say dc can’t go to the show because he didn’t do his homework dh would say right in front of the kid Can’t he skip his hw this once? He’ll come home when it’s bedtime and instead of helping me settle them down to sleep, he’s bringing toys and playing games and ready to partay. Of course the kids prefer him.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:59 pm
Depends on the day.

Right now my baby only wants his Abba for everything. It's a challenge when I'm the only one home but it gives me a break when DH is around because only DH is allowed to feed him or change his diapers. He also currently prefers his grandfathers to his grandmothers. I have no idea why but I assume it's just a stage.

The older kids turn to each of us for different things.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:09 pm
my nursing toddler is only beginning to warm up to my dh but still very much prefers me. my other kids I think like us both pretty much equally, we each have our roles...

to answer your question yes its normal, its usually a phase though.

https://www.livingwellspending.....girl/

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:28 pm
My grown up son and daughters only call their dad
When we almost got divorced the lawyer said kids like the parent with the most money
I raised them alone he was always working

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:33 pm
My kids don't look in their fathers direction. It's mommy mommy mommy all day. I could be in the shower and he in the kitchen and they'll come bang on the bathroom door for a drink. Ultimately it's like I'm a single parent.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:54 pm
My toddler is obsessed with her daddy. Goes running to the door when he comes hom. Won't come to me from his arms. Only takes hugs from him and lets him put her to sleep if he's around.
Sometimes it's embarrassing in front others and I'm like kiddo, who brought you into this world? Who just fed bathed and played with you the past 4 hours?

But hey it means he's a good father right? Better than having a DH who isn't good with kids.
It's heartwarming to watch. Cherry

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 5:01 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
My grown up son and daughters only call their dad
When we almost got divorced the lawyer said kids like the parent with the most money
I raised them alone he was always working

Hug Crying

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 5:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have 4 kh my 2 oldest always sticked to me more( but werent sticky types) just when they needed one of us they'd come to me . My 2 younger ones somehow love to cuddle with my dh. My one before my youngest started loving me and dh equally but my youngest so far is very attached to my dh . I have a very hard time with him while my dh is away . My dh was recently on a trip for 7 days and oh did I have hard nights with my youngest each night. My dh was on the phone but nothing helped to calm him down, and I was like. "
im your mother im not a stranger in the house. " im just not getting this need to cry while daddy is away when mom is there holding him and keeping him safe.

You said dh puts him to bed every night when he’s home so he’s just used to that, maybe try to switch off.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 5:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have my 5 year old . I love him into pieces. I give him so much love ... but he likes his father (mydh) way more ! He is most of the time glued to my dh . Usually my dh puts him to sleep , yet sometimes will just come out that my dh has a special occasion or something not to be there to put him to sleep so When this happens my ds crys his heart out that he wants tatty (im not good enough) when we go to either my dh parents or my parents he is glued to my dh . I already feel left out or sensing maybe something wrong with me that he likes my dh more?! Is it normal?? I love him. He is my youngest, I give him loads of attention ect. Only wants his father most of the time . In one hand I feel very proud my dh comes across like a good father , it just makes me worry if im ain't good enough?! He runs away when I wanna hug him.. sometimes will come to hug me when he is being convinced. Should I worry or is it normal for certain kids to choose 1 parent they like more?? Please make me feel good.

It makes sense that a child will sometimes favor the parent of the same gender although my son makes no bones about loving me more Very Happy

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 5:49 pm
My kids like me more, but they respect Totty more. They talk to me about everything, but listen to him. If we both call them; they go to my husband first. They often talk out strategies with me to get Totty to see their side of things. If they did poorly on a test, they tell me and we talk about how to tell totty.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:14 pm
I don’t think my kids have a favorite parent any more than I have a favorite child.
They gravitate to me for certain things and to my husband for others.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:26 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
My kids like me more, but they respect Totty more. They talk to me about everything, but listen to him. If we both call them; they go to my husband first. They often talk out strategies with me to get Totty to see their side of things. If they did poorly on a test, they tell me and we talk about how to tell totty.

Sounds like fear rather than respect.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics