Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Do u really believe
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:22 pm
Moshiach can come at any minute.

exaustedmom

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:11 pm
Yes. Absolutely yes

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:12 pm
Yes. Of course. Can’t wait!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:13 pm
Isn't such a belief a requirement to be on this site?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:17 pm
Absolutely!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:22 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Isn't such a belief a requirement to be on this site?

I don’t think u understood my question. Key word really. Of course every religious Jew believes in the concept of Moshiach and we believe he will come someday, but that’s not my question. My question is how many rally believe it can be today, tonight, tomorrow and if people are honest I think most go about their day not even thinking once about Moshiach.

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:23 pm
Absolutely. Can my belief in the imminent arrival of Moshiach still be strengthened, same as the rest of my Emunah? Absolutely. I don’t yet have a suitcase packed as did R Nosson Wachtfogel ZTL.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:24 pm
Yes

Anyone who davens thinks about Moshiach. I don't always have the chance to daven but I bentch.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:27 pm
Yes. Ani mamin...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:29 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Yes

Anyone who davens thinks about Moshiach.

Not necessarily, people who say the words and don’t understand or don’t concentrate on what they’re saying (which is how a lot of us daven with all the distractions and things we have on our mind) don’t automatically start thinking about Moshiach.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:21 pm
Yes, I believe he CAN.
Do I think he WILL? As in this week? Next year? Before my grandson’s bar mitzvah?
That’s another question. If He didn’t come after the Crusades or the Holocaust, I don’t see why he should come davka now.
I do not have a packed suitcase under my bed.
I continue to stock up on tissues and tuna and pay life insurance premiums. If the geulah comes and all that long-range planning becomes aroysgevorfeneh gelt, wonderful! You know the expression: Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:53 pm
R Yehuda Henkin I believe has a teshuva where he says something like 'kol Yom sh yavo' is not the same as 'sh yavo Kol yom'. IOW the requirement of the ani maamin is to BELIEVE EVERY DAY that he will come. Not that every day he will come and that is what we believe.

It says 'kol Yom shyavo', not 'kol Yom shyhu ba'.

IOW the 'everyday' bit is about when it must be believed, not about when he will come.

That's what I believe.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:08 pm
Look at the events around the world and you will start to believe.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:09 pm
Here is an article which discusses his and other views (although it is not the actual teshuva which I have seen insider btw)

https://www.torahmusings.com/2.....h-ii/

healthymom1

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:13 pm
Yes. I cant wait! We need him to come yesterday!

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:24 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
R Yehuda Henkin I believe has a teshuva where he says something like 'kol Yom sh yavo' is not the same as 'sh yavo Kol yom'. IOW the requirement of the ani maamin is to BELIEVE EVERY DAY that he will come. Not that every day he will come and that is what we believe.

It says 'kol Yom shyavo', not 'kol Yom shyhu ba'.

IOW the 'everyday' bit is about when it must be believed, not about when he will come.

That's what I believe.

WADR that’s not the simple meaning of the words. When it comes to subjects like Emunah, you have to go with mesorah, and the big guns, like the Chofetz Chaim, Chazon Ish, and Brisker Rov, and others. They definitely believed in the simple pshat that Moshiach can come anytime. Also, that doesn’t fit with “even though he might delay”, because if he will come “someday” then there’s no delay.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:46 pm
malki2 wrote:
WADR that’s not the simple meaning of the words. When it comes to subjects like Emunah, you have to go with mesorah, and the big guns, like the Chofetz Chaim, Chazon Ish, and Brisker Rov, and others. They definitely believed in the simple pshat that Moshiach can come anytime. Also, that doesn’t fit with “even though he might delay”, because if he will come “someday” then there’s no delay.

Seems to me he’s been delaying and delaying and delaying—so much so that we’ve had not one, not two, but MANY false-messiah disasters over the past two thousand years.

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:48 pm
zaq wrote:
Seems to me he’s been delaying and delaying and delaying—so much so that we’ve had not one, not two, but MANY false-messiah disasters over the past two thousand years.

True, but that doesn’t change a thing.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 4:52 pm
No

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 5:48 pm
malki2 wrote:

Eilu veilu. How about you don't disparage Rav Henkin, and I won't disparage your Rabbanim. Ok? Did you ever see inside the teshuva? Not sure why you say WADR because you didn't show a lot of R for R Henkin. You don't think he ever heard of the Chofetz Chaim, the Chazon Ish or the Brisker Rav????
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics