Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Touro Manhattan vs. Stern- daily life
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 5:36 pm
DD deciding between Touro and Stern. One question keeps popping up is the culture of the school... I will say Ruach or activities outside of class. I know Stern has all kinds of clubs, school government, and non academic activities. Does the same hold true for Touro?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 8:18 am
My dd is in her third year of touro and from what she tells me no, but maybe if someone lives in the dorm it’s different. I can ask her.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 8:22 am
Honestly the hashkafic differences are vast (I say this as a proud stern graduate) so she should look to See which one suits her better as well.

But yes stern has a very rich student life

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 9:32 am
I went to Toro Manhattan feel free to pm

syrima

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:08 pm
I went to Stern (a while back) and my dd went to Touro Manhattan. Stern is not a commuter school, so the girls are there 24/6 and have time for fencing, computer, a capella, debate and drama clubs. Touro has a significant number of commuter students who just come in for their classes (like my dd). They will have less time for clubs in general. My dd only participated in 1 or 2 that were very important to her.
That said, if you are in the dorm, you will find other girls like you who are into the same interests.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:11 pm
syrima wrote:
I went to Stern (a while back) and my dd went to Touro Manhattan. Stern is not a commuter school, so the girls are there 24/6 and have time for fencing, computer, a capella, debate and drama clubs. Touro has a significant number of commuter students who just come in for their classes (like my dd). They will have less time for clubs in general. My dd only participated in 1 or 2 that were very important to her.
That said, if you are in the dorm, you will find other girls like you who are into the same interests.

Just knowing there are opportunities if one wants is a good start- thanks!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:12 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
My dd is in her third year of touro and from what she tells me no, but maybe if someone lives in the dorm it’s different. I can ask her.

It would be great if you could ask her since she is currently there- she would have an idea.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:13 pm
It sounds like stern would be a better fit.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:44 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
It sounds like stern would be a better fit.

How do you figure that based on my post? Does Touro not have a "dorm life"?

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:19 pm
I went to Touro's dorm, and I absolutely loved it. It's true that Touro is more of a commuter school, but there is a strong dorm life, one that commuters probably don't know about because the dorm and school aren't close by. There are Shiurim and night activities, and there is an option for Shabbos meals most weeks. There is no meal plan though, but every apartment has a small kitchen there is easy access to Kosher food in the area.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:30 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
I went to Touro's dorm, and I absolutely loved it. It's true that Touro is more of a commuter school, but there is a strong dorm life, one that commuters probably don't know about because the dorm and school aren't close by. There are Shiurim and night activities, and there is an option for Shabbos meals most weeks. There is no meal plan though, but every apartment has a small kitchen there is easy access to Kosher food in the area.

Thanks so much!! So helpful!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:35 pm
Can you clarify what those huge hashkafa differences are?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:52 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Can you clarify what those huge hashkafa differences are?

Good question...

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:54 pm
Stern is more Zionist, there's a clear derech. The professors at Touro are a hodgepodge. Some openly anti frum, others very frum. I actually think both colleges are not great for frum kids because it's harder to recognize non - Torah messages from frum people.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:55 pm
I LoVe Touro Manhattan but I participated in every thing they offered. Many clubs, took random courses. It wasn't easy like in Stern, but there's what to do if you look for it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 6:08 pm
I am a year behind you so I am following.
Some thoughts and questions I have had are does almost everyone go home from both dorms for Shabbos? There is no social life for my DD at home and I want her to stay in for Shabbos.

There is a cost difference

Does Touro get you though undergrad faster and set you up better for a masters-especially in their school? Does the Touro name hold up and is it competitive or thought of as second rate? How is the actual education or is it just a mill that pushes you out and gives you a diploma?

I am feeling very overwhelmed.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 6:15 pm
The girls in Stern’s are generally Significantly more modern. Touro has plenty of bais Yakov girls.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 6:41 pm
Plenty of girls stay for shabbos in both schools. Touro has more BY girls but there's a very modern contingent especially in the dorms. Touro is much cheaper. The name of the college didn't hold me back at all in terms of graduate school. To a regular non jewish person they are pretty much the same.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 6:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you figure that based on my post? Does Touro not have a "dorm life"?

If you are looking for a more active campus Stern is much better. YU is more prestigious academically than Tuoro. I went to Stern 10 years ago it was great.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 7:48 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Stern is more Zionist, there's a clear derech. The professors at Touro are a hodgepodge. Some openly anti frum, others very frum. I actually think both colleges are not great for frum kids because it's harder to recognize non - Torah messages from frum people.

DSs are at YU and I can say that they have had 1 or 2 professors who are anti frum as well- even while teaching Jewish history!
I was shocked when they shared, but it is a college and I decided that everything comes with a grain of salt(even the teachers my kids had in yeshiva high school- no school has the perfect staff).
I think its important to prepare our kids for the world around us even when in a frum environment there while be all kinds.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics