Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What is your goal when making a themed MM?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:42 pm
I'm trying to understand the whole "themed" mishloach manos madness. It would make sense to me if you're a person who loves to use creativity as an outlet. But there are so many requests for others to help with a theme, a poem etc.......why? If it's not for your own creative fun, who is this for? It's definitely not for the recipient (how many people like to receive animal crackers, candy fish and gummy worms all wrapped up with an animal themed poem?)

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:46 pm
My kids want a theme. I could care less. As far as I’m concerned the only theme is: Purim. But my kids get excited and request a theme so I do it. No poem though. Have to draw the line somewhere.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:48 pm
It’s what I enjoy. It’s also an easy way for me to decide what I’m doing. I pick a theme and work off of that. It makes it easier pulling all the things together. The years I don’t do a theme I struggle with figuring out what costumes and MM to make. I also somehow save money when stick to a theme.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:49 pm
where I live no one does a theme not even the shul one person does a theme and I look forward to getting one every year,growing up in scranton pa if we got one it was on a paper plate

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:53 pm
No, it's to save money.

How else can you give a few gummy worms, a tiny package of animal crackers, and a jelly fish or two, and call it a respectable Mishloach Manos?

If you don't have a theme, then the foods have to be mentchlich and enjoyed. You can't just give a chocolate coated wafer and a can of Sprite without looking cheap. But if you just tape on a street sign, write a poor attempt at a rhyme, and include lots of corny references to always going in the "sp-RIGHT WAY-fer," then you're golden.

Same with a few hamentashen and a bottle of grape juice. It used to be perfectly acceptable, but now you'll look pathetic. You need to give Johnny Walker Black, raspberry cordials, and 2 lb of chocolate dipped artisanal Hamentashen to look like a decent friend or colleague. But now take your hamentashen and grape juice, and pretend it's part of an "old-time Purim" theme, and now you can give it to even your boss without risking getting fired.

And poems are as much a requirement as 2 brachos* (I.e. not really necessary at all, but everyone has learned the misinformation for so long they no longer believe it's not necessary.)

*You need two kinds of food of at least one kezayis each, but they can both be the same bracha. IIRC, halacha references two types of meat as perfectly acceptable.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm trying to understand the whole "themed" mishloach manos madness. It would make sense to me if you're a person who loves to use creativity as an outlet. But there are so many requests for others to help with a theme, a poem etc.......why? If it's not for your own creative fun, who is this for? It's definitely not for the recipient (how many people like to receive animal crackers, candy fish and gummy worms all wrapped up with an animal themed poem?)

I actually do! I love checking out other people's creativity.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:59 pm
Floral white

Applause Thumbs Up

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:00 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I actually do! I love checking out other people's creativity.

Me too. I appreciate the talent and ideas.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:04 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
No, it's to save money.

How else can you give a few gummy worms, a tiny package of animal crackers, and a jelly fish or two, and call it a respectable Mishloach Manos?

If you don't have a theme, then the foods have to be mentchlich and enjoyed. You can't just give a chocolate coated wafer and a can of Sprite without looking cheap. But if you just tape on a street sign, write a poor attempt at a rhyme, and include lots of corny references to always going in the "sp-RIGHT WAY-fer," then you're golden.

Same with a few hamentashen and a bottle of grape juice. It used to be perfectly acceptable, but now you'll look pathetic. You need to give Johnny Walker Black, raspberry cordials, and 2 lb of chocolate dipped artisanal Hamentashen to look like a decent friend or colleague. But now take your hamentashen and grape juice, and pretend it's part of an "old-time Purim" theme, and now you can give it to even your boss without risking getting fired.

And poems are as much a requirement as 2 brachos* (I.e. not really necessary at all, but everyone has learned the misinformation for so long they no longer believe it's not necessary.)

*You need two kinds of food of at least one kezayis each, but they can both be the same bracha. IIRC, halacha references two types of meat as perfectly acceptable.

Exactly this. It is so much easier and cost efficient.
Instead of having to bake some fancy confection or buy some expensive items, you can throw together a few cheap things and it looks adorable.
It is also a lot easier than having to think of something... you just have a theme and then all the costumes and mishloach manos revolve around it.
And speaking of costumes, it is much easier to just match your kids in some dumb costume (think smiley face emojis, or cheerleaders) than buy each one a fancy $30 costume. When you are all matching and have a theme you can get away with wearing something that would look "nerdy" on just one person.

I love getting themed mishloach manos - it's so cute!

small bean

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:07 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
No, it's to save money.

I give wafers and chocolate milk every year. I dont care if anyone thinks I'm cheap. I know people will enjoy it.

When I get a few gummy bears, animal crackers and a jelly fish. I dont think it is cute. I think it is embarrassing.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:17 pm
I don't care what I get .to me its just for fun and to spread friendship .but when I get a theme mm and there is just a few cheap things inside that is exactly what I think that its just garbage put together.I personally wish we will all go back to the old way and it will be respectable for everybody to just send a fruit hamentash etc. The old way saved a lot of time and money and everyone was just as happy. The joy is suppose to come from the simcha of the day and the doing of a mitzvah

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:17 pm
I get a non themed mm its a pizza shaped like a hamantachen

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:25 pm
I’m an extremely creative person and I’m also an amazing poem writer (not to sound arrogant but just happens to be true) Purim is one of the only times of the year I get to channel the creativity where others can appreciate it. I actually did start a Purim business. I write poems to go with peoples themes and I also make custom labels that people order to fit their themes. I’m cheap and professional and have gotten a lot of business and positive feedback so I guess you can say that the theme mishegass is good for business...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics