Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
OPWDD
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:58 pm
What can you tell me about this? Someone mentioned this to to me today regarding my newly-diagnosed 6.5 year old son with high functioning autism.

Also, if he's currently on Child Health Plus, would this help me?

Thank you.

hodeez

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:05 pm
Call human care services (hcs). They will guide you through the whole process

amother
White

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:26 pm
You might need to get rid of child health plus to have OPWDD , since it only works with Medicaid.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:31 pm
Op, this is off topic and I don't mind if you don't answer. I'm asking because my toddler has certain signs that I think might be high functioning autism but I'm not sure if I should even mention it to the ped.

How did you get him diagnosed? What does his HFA look like? Is he in a regular school? Were there any signs when he was a toddler?

Feel free to ignore my post if it's too invasive. I'm just driving myself crazy thinking about it.

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:45 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
You might need to get rid of child health plus to have OPWDD , since it only works with Medicaid.

You can only get ABA through Child Health Plus HMOs though, not Medicaid.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:49 pm
To get services you would need to go to the front door at opwdd
You can then work with any of the agencies
Hasc ohel makor hamspik are the bigger agencies that have more experience.
The waiver services are starting to work with the insurance companies now. So you amy be able to keep your child health plus. But since it is a brand new initiative I am not sure how it will work.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:03 pm
Is there a benefit of one agency over the other?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:16 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Op, this is off topic and I don't mind if you don't answer. I'm asking because my toddler has certain signs that I think might be high functioning autism but I'm not sure if I should even mention it to the ped.

How did you get him diagnosed? What does his HFA look like? Is he in a regular school? Were there any signs when he was a toddler?

Feel free to ignore my post if it's too invasive. I'm just driving myself crazy thinking about it.

My son was always very language delayed and has been getting speech therapy since he was around 3. He had a slight oddness to himself, but there were no signs until a year+ ago that anything was really wrong. He is doing ok in school. He reads, writes, spells. But does not get the parsha questions at all. He is doing terrible socially, mainly due to the language delays. He is in a regular cheder now but we are looking into alternative schools for next year.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son was always very language delayed and has been getting speech therapy since he was around 3. He had a slight oddness to himself, but there were no signs until a year+ ago that anything was really wrong. He is doing ok in school. He reads, writes, spells. But does not get the parsha questions at all. He is doing terrible socially, mainly due to the language delays. He is in a regular cheder now but we are looking into alternative schools for next year.

Thank you! P.s. you sound like an amazing parent

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:38 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Thank you! P.s. you sound like an amazing parent

I do? Why?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I do? Why?

You seem to be very accepting and trying to move forward in the way that's best for your child. A lot of parents would go into this kicking and screaming.

Surrendered

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:21 pm
There's alot of misinformation on this thread regarding OPWDD.
I will give you guidance if you reach out to me via PM.
You do not have to get rid of insurance. One has nothing to do with the other.
As long as your child has a diagnosis of a delay or being on the spectrum, he/she will most probably be accepted.
For more information, reach out to HCS. Upstate or Brooklyn 845 426 2199.

livinginisrael

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:23 pm
Call hcs/human care or any other agency. They will guide you. I get services through them including respite etc. Once u have waiver /opwdd approval a lot of doors open it.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 12:01 am
Opwdd is through Medicaid but an agency can help you sort it out. I use rayim they were very good.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 12:32 am
Surrendered wrote:
There's alot of misinformation on this thread regarding OPWDD.
I will give you guidance if you reach out to me via PM.
You do not have to get rid of insurance. One has nothing to do with the other.
As long as your child has a diagnosis of a delay or being on the spectrum, he/she will most probably be accepted.
For more information, reach out to HCS. Upstate or Brooklyn 845 426 2199.

Hi. I did a lot of research on this topic. Please let us know if you 100% know different.
You Cannot have child health plus + Medicaid together. They are both government plans.
Basically OPWDD only works with Medicaid. For children 3 and up.
You cannot get aba with Medicaid.
And you cannot get OPWDD with child health plus.
I’m talking about the JLJ Child health plus numbers. Not the Medicaid chp plans. And this is for NY.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 12:34 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Hi. I did a lot of research on this topic. Please let us know if you 100% know different.
You Cannot have child health plus + Medicaid together. They are both government plans.
Basically OPWDD only works with Medicaid. For children 3 and up.
You cannot get aba with Medicaid.
And you cannot get OPWDD with child health plus.
I’m talking about the JLJ Child health plus numbers. Not the Medicaid chp plans. And this is for NY.

Everything you said is accurate according to the OPWDD website. It clearly says that you will need to apply for Medicaid to access most of the services provided through OPWDD.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 9:50 am
I used my Medicaid to get opwdd & had to buy insurance out of pocket from the market place to get ABA.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:01 pm
I suggest if you want ABA, get it with your child health plus plan, and don’t apply for OPWDD. Unless there’s a real benefit from OPWDD that you need.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:26 pm
Ok. Thanks e/o for your responses. I'm just going to confirm with HCS that I can't have both and then will remain on CHP.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:32 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
You seem to be very accepting and trying to move forward in the way that's best for your child. A lot of parents would go into this kicking and screaming.

Thank you for that.

We are trying to watch old family videos to see if there's anything that we missed. But besides for him being language delayed, there wasn't. Until OCD symptoms showed up a year ago we didn't dream there was a/t really wrong. (This child was evaluated by the Board of Ed at almost 3 and was approved for speech and SEIT, but no other issues were brought up.)

But when you call a local rebbetzin who supposedly runs a support groups for parents of children on the spectrum and she asks you "Really? He's almost 7 and was only recently diagnosed?" you start doubting yourself as a parent. Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)