Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How is weight loss generally regarded as a positive thing?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:05 am
I don't mean for an individual, I mean in general. "You lost weight" is considered a compliment. "You gained weight" is an insult. Weight loss is generally regarded as a good thing, even though it is objectively only good for overweight people.

heidi

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:06 am
"You can never be too rich or too thin."
Jackie Kennedy Onassis

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:31 am
Because that’s the mentality of our society !

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:37 am
and actually its extremely degrading and body shaming. when ppl say that they are insinuating you didn't look good before or you don't look good now...

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:37 am
heidi wrote:
"You can never be too rich or too thin."
Jackie Kennedy Onassis

Amazing how so true and so false this statement is in our generation.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:39 am
I keep hearing that I lost weight. it makes me think each time. Was I that fat before?!?!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:42 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I keep hearing that I lost weight. it makes me think each time. Was I that fat before?!?!

People just say the comment without thinking. I can say this as a fact since because I'm thin people say it all the time, even when I've actually gained 10 pounds lol!

amother
Aquamarine

Positive if the person losing weight is overweight and wants to be healthier. A person who loses the weight (If was overweight beforehand) and keeps it off for some time has turned their life around for the better. Healthier, looks better, feels better mentally and physically. All positives

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ivory

one yenta in shul insisted I lost weight at the time I was not even heavy

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:45 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
one yenta in shul insisted I lost weight at the time I was not even heavy

I hate this! I had the same thing from someone in shul who I hadn't seen in ages. She said 'you look so good, did you lose weight recently?' Rude because she is a super skinny woman. Ugh. Could she not have stopped at 'you look so good'? And why does every conversation after seeing s1 after a while especially, have to do with weight loss/gain. Gets me angry. Rant over Smile

simba

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 10:50 am
If I think someone looks nice or beautiful I tell them so. I do not comment on people’s weight. Some people are sick and losing weight against their will.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:12 am
I think it's bc usually if someone lost weight - unless they are sick - they have been working really really hard at their diet or exercise and it's a compliment to someone that her hard work has paid off. and that she looks good too!

amother
Goldenrod

simba wrote:
If I think someone looks nice or beautiful I tell them so. I do not comment on people’s weight. Some people are sick and losing weight against their will.

and even if they're not sick... this culture of only skinny is beautiful is eating many people alive and making them sick!

amother
Burgundy

In general, I only notice weight gain or loss if it is very extreme (at least 10-20 pounds). I never comment on weight gain (obviously) and I only comment on weight loss if I know that the person wants to hear it.

Once in college, a friend of mine said to me, "Nu, you didn't notice that I lost weight?" I told her honestly that even when I notice weight loss, I don't usually comment on it, since it's kind of backhanded. It's saying "you used to be heavier, but now you look great!" She disagreed, since she said that you know everyone's noticing when you gained weight anyway, so at least let them comment when you lost weight! But that's not the case with me, because I really, really don't usually notice either way unless it's drastic.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:14 am
When I was a teen I would joke that I was always bigger in people's memories, because every time anyone saw me they were surprised that I had lost weight. (I actually stayed the exact same weight throughout 4 years of high school, a year of sem in Israel, and 2 years thereafter.)

Now nobody tells me that I lost weight! (Maybe now I'm skinnier in people's memories?)

I try to support the Size Acceptance Movement, which includes me at whatever size I am!

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:19 am
I lost 100 pounds and honestly I am not nuts about it. I almost always flip it over to how great I feel etc. I mean, I know I look better but I’m happier about not having diabetes anymore and feeling so good. NOT BEING BLIND. That’s a big one.

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:26 am
I find it annoying. I'm happy with my body weight/image as is, it's absolutely none of your business to comment on whether I conform to your perception of what my body is or should be.
I know people mean well and don't think too much into it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:31 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Positive if the person losing weight is overweight and wants to be healthier. A person who loses the weight (If was overweight beforehand) and keeps it off for some time has turned their life around for the better. Healthier, looks better, feels better mentally and physically. All positives

Yes but it’s actual not about how we look. We can do these things without actually losing weight. I agree with the theories around weight neutral and health at any weight. I walked two half marathons when I was over 300 pounds although if I am honest with myself I was not healthy then, even if I was physically fit enough to do that.

I am still overweight after having lost 100 pounds but all my health metrics are excellent. Plus, I’m getting fit again. I can handle a compliment because before I was panting and uncomfortable and hugging and puffing. Now I am not. So basically, while I do look better, it’s not for the reasons the people think that I think so. Whatever really, though. People say what they say, and we need to be able to ignore it politely or put them in their place. That’s on us. Not them,

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:39 am
Because society has an obsession with thinness. It's not always a good thing, even if you're overweight. I'm overweight, I recently lost a significant amount of weight in a rather short time due to a problem that is likely going to require surgery. My doctor is going over the treatment possibilities now and we'll probably make the decision in the next couple of weeks. He is NOT happy with my weight loss, even though it was weight I needed to lose (and I still have a good 30 lbs to lose). He said straight up, if not for the fact that I have a physical condition that's making it hard for me eat, we'd call it anorexia. Which is never healthy, even if you're overweight.

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 2:36 pm
"You can never be too rich or too thin”

Actually it’s attributed to the Duchess of Windsor, long before Jackie was Jackie. Which makes sense because Wallis Simpson had the face and figure of a stick insect and married money every time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise