Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is there a way to get a baby nurse for free thru insurance?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:48 am
My friend told me that she heard that someone did that so I am wondering if it’s really possible

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:55 am
I promise you you don’t want it.
It’s hell. And that’s putting it mildly

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:58 am
And if your ask8ng just for curiosity sake, and not how you can get it too- just know that it comes with a price tag- namely some kind of diagnosis/monitoring/feeding tube needs etc

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:22 am
Its hard.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 6:18 am
Pediatric hospital social worker here!

Not the baby nurse you’re thinking (rock a baby type)

But if your baby is in respiratory and/or feeding support it’s definitely possible. Talk to your hospital social worker

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 6:34 am
If the baby has a medical need. That's it

I had twins in nyc while on Medicaid. Babies were bh bh 100% fine but I had a medical issue. We asked about a baby nurse through Medicaid. Nope.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:07 am
I tried thru Medicaid HMO, twice, (2 different ones) with premie baby & recovering from csection and severe pre-eclampsia that didn't settle right after birth but no luck for baby. I did manage to get 2-3 visits like 2 months post birth for myself with aide who only was willing to help me brush my teeth or help me shower but wasnt allowed to touch my baby. No! Thank You.
Any thing I told her to do, she said she will report me. ( like wiping down table is heavy work)
She said she can only change my linen & not other bed in room, only wash my own laundry if I separate it from the rest. Send them flying!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:44 am
I think the type of baby nurse OP is referring to isn't reallly a nurse. It's a babysitter. So I'm not sure why medical insurance would pay for that.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:49 am
dankbar wrote:
I tried thru Medicaid HMO, twice, (2 different ones) with premie baby & recovering from csection and severe pre-eclampsia that didn't settle right after birth but no luck for baby. I did manage to get 2-3 visits like 2 months post birth for myself with aide who only was willing to help me brush my teeth or help me shower but wasnt allowed to touch my baby. No! Thank You.
Any thing I told her to do, she said she will report me. ( like wiping down table is heavy work)
She said she can only change my linen & not other bed in room, only wash my own laundry if I separate it from the rest. Send them flying!

You were able to receive a bit of assistance for your own MEDICAL needs. But from what you describe, you were looking for a cleaning lady/heimish version of a baby nurse. Those baby nurses are not nurses, I'm sure you are aware (not that these tasks are for RNs to do either). She was right to tell you she would report you for asking her to do work beyond what is in her job description. What you needed to do was hire a "baby nurse" and get a cleaning lady. Medicaid should not be paying for those things.

amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I think the type of baby nurse OP is referring to isn't reallly a nurse. It's a babysitter. So I'm not sure why medical insurance would pay for that.

Exactly. People have enough trouble getting insurance to cover actual medical procedures.

Last edited by watergirl on Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:16 am
I work in Homecare. Homecare services are only supposed to cover MEDICAL necessity, and personal care. They are not a babysitting-cleaning lady service. Using them as such is abusing the system and geneva. Remember, someone is paying for it and someone is doing the work.

Sorry to be that person, but assuming BEH no medical need, and of course there are surprises, but if you both can't afford and you don't have the bandwidth, maybe it is not the right time.

Zehava

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:20 am
A paid baby nurse isn’t a cleaning lady either. The one I had would only wash the baby’s laundry that’s it.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:26 am
Is a homecare nurse for mom not allowed to bring her the baby if it's hard for her to walk around, bend, etc?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:39 am
Medicaid can cover a baby nusre if the baby has a medical condition that requires a nurse. For twins or a single. I know that they're making a crackdown now on the nurses and starting to be more strict because people nebach made up conditions that their baby has to get a free nurse.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:44 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Is a homecare nurse for mom not allowed to bring her the baby if it's hard for her to walk around, bend, etc?

No
She can help mom walk to the baby

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:55 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Medicaid can cover a baby nusre if the baby has a medical condition that requires a nurse. For twins or a single. I know that they're making a crackdown now on the nurses and starting to be more strict because people nebach made up conditions that their baby has to get a free nurse.

That doesn’t make sense. You can’t make up conditions: you need a doctors letter of medical necessity in order to process with insurance. We’re the doctors making things up?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:43 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
That doesn’t make sense. You can’t make up conditions: you need a doctors letter of medical necessity in order to process with insurance. We’re the doctors making things up?

Leave it up to them. The same way they can get food stamps, medicaid, and section 8 when they're not really eligible. These people know how to do their work. It's a huge problem in Brooklyn, hence the stricter guidelines.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:30 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

Were my DH works there are parents who drug their kids so it appears there are issues in order to collect SSI. (Not Jewish area).

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:14 pm
I applied for help for myself still from my hospital bed after csection when I was in massive pain & couldn't bend or move.
So when I was resting in bed & got dizzy from anything I did, Yes I did need the help with things I would normally do myself.
Basic housework is allowed in patients home just not heavy cleaning. Just windexing the kitchen table she deemed as too heavy work.
If I asked her to bathe my baby because I couldn't bend down to tub, she said she can't touch baby or even to hold baby so that I can rest or sleep.
The problem was that since it took a while to process, like a month, I only got a few visits approved, so agency sent their worst aides because it was supposed to be only very short term.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:29 pm
I was hospitalized with a pelvic infection when my baby was 2 weeks old and came home with a with a drain for the next month.
I tried to get homecare desperately. Took a few days for it to go through and I was given a.... visiting nurse who came every 2-3 days to see if I needed a dressing change. Which I had done myself the night before, so thankyouverymuch...
I didnt have energy to lift my baby or look after my 3 year old.
I was able to get 4 afternoons of free help from Oseh Chesed (Kimpeturin Aid or a similar organization) and I raised funds to pay her for another month, until the drain was removed.
It was well worth it -- a sweet Hungarian Jewish lady who went downstairs to the bus to take off my 3 year old, and held my baby so I could nap. Better than any non Jewish baby nurse....

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:48 pm
My friend has twins, she has a nurse through Medicaid she can literally write a book about her experience. She's almost ready to let go of the nusre but she cannot handle the babies issues on her own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics