Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Best chocolate chip cookies
1  2  Next

aimhabanim

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:43 am
Please share your favorite recipe. Doesn't have to be healthy just super YUMMY 😋

Lizzie4

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:04 am
I found this on instagram. Forgot where. It's super amazing dough, looks and tastes fantastic.

*Recipe
2 eggs,
1 cup sugar,
1 cup brown sugar,
3/4 cup + 2 TBS oil,
2 1/2 cups flour,
1 TBS vanilla extract,
3/4 TSP baking powder,
3/4 TSP baking soda,
1/2 TSP salt,
1 1/2 cup choc. Chips.

Preheat oven to 375F° bake for 10 min. (I may have baked it at 350, not sure)

MiriFr

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:16 am
I know this one by heart!
2 sticks margarine or butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (either extract or sugar. No difference)
2eggs
2-1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips

Mush all together with your hands. Plop down messy plops onto cookie sheet (greased). Bake til golden brown on bottom (maybe 12 min?), and then let them cool and set.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:20 am
Levana kirschenbaum cc cookies. Google for recipe

Angel

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:30 am
Miriam Pascal
http://overtimecook.com/2014/0.....tter/

sky

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:39 am
Traditional:
2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 pkg choc chips

Bake 350 - 10 minutes

With oats:
1 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups oats
2 cups chocolate chips (I prefer 1 cup chips and 1 cup craisins)

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:43 am
Lizzie4 wrote:
I found this on instagram. Forgot where. It's super amazing dough, looks and tastes fantastic.

*Recipe
2 eggs,
1 cup sugar,
1 cup brown sugar,
3/4 cup + 2 TBS oil,
2 1/2 cups flour,
1 TBS vanilla extract,
3/4 TSP baking powder,
3/4 TSP baking soda,
1/2 TSP salt,
1 1/2 cup choc. Chips.

Preheat oven to 375F° bake for 10 min. (I may have baked it at 350, not sure)

Not healthy, but at least no margarine, only oil.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:48 am
I went on a mission to find the best chocolate chip cookies and tried many, many recipes (I, er, take my baking very seriously). These are hands down the best chocolate chip cookies out there.
https://joythebaker.com/2014/0.....kies/

If you don’t want to take my word for it, the Washington Post eventually came to my same conclusion :
https://www.washingtonpost.com......html

sky

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:06 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Not healthy, but at least no margarine, only oil.

The recipes without margarine are also much faster to make. No mixers or beating the margarine required. The oil based recipes are so good there is really no need.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:44 pm
[img]C:\fakepath\Screenshot_20200128-123914_Photos.jpg[/img]

[img]C:\fakepath\Screenshot_20200128-124006_Photos.jpg[/img]

These two are super soft and delicious!! I made them last year for shalach manos and everyone asked for the recipes.

mizle10

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:53 pm
MiriFr wrote:
I know this one by heart!
2 sticks margarine or butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (either extract or sugar. No difference)
2eggs
2-1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips

Mush all together with your hands. Plop down messy plops onto cookie sheet (greased). Bake til golden brown on bottom (maybe 12 min?), and then let them cool and set.

I use the same recipe! Best chocolate chip cookies!!!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 1:00 pm
the big fat chewy chocolate chip cookies from allrecipes are pretty good but I chill the dough first.

jsb

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 1:03 pm
Absolute BEST recipe is from: https://www.kingarthurflour.co.....ecipe

I use oil instead of butter (1 cup)

People go crazy over these guys. I’ve had people beg me to sell them Smile

Ingredients
16 tablespoons (227g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (213g) light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup (99g) granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
1 tablespoon (14g) vanilla extract
2 cups (241g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup (89g) rolled oats, old-fashioned or quick-cooking
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt or 3/4 teaspoon regular table salt
3 cups (510g) semisweet chocolate chips

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper, or lightly grease with non-stick vegetable oil spray.

Beat together the butter and sugars until smooth.

Beat in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.

Whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and add to the butter mixture in the bowl.

Mix until everything is thoroughly incorporated. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and mix briefly.

Stir in the chocolate chips.

Decide what size cookies you want to make. A muffin scoop (1/4 cup) will make 20 large, palm-sized cookies. A tablespoon cookie scoop (4 teaspoons) will make 50 medium (2 3/4" to 3") cookies; and a teaspoon cookie scoop (2 teaspoons) will make 100 small (2 1/2") cookies.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2" to 2" between cookies.

Bake the cookies for 12 to 17 minutes, until they're a light golden brown, with slightly darker edges. Their middles may still look a tiny bit shiny; that's OK, they'll continue to bake as they cool on the pan.

Remove the cookies from the oven, and as soon as they're set enough to handle, transfer them to racks to cool.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 1:09 pm
mizle10 wrote:
I use the same recipe! Best chocolate chip cookies!!!

Yay!
It's legit the only one I use. I've tried so many different ones, and I always come back to this.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:26 pm
Do you like chewy or crispy. The kid of fat you use and proportion of brown sugar to white sugar affects the outcome.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but there is NO WAY that any chocolate chip cookie made with oil compares to a cookie made with butter. If you want a parve cookie, at least use solid shortening which provides an acceptable texture for a cookie.

Baked items rely on fat providing lift and texture as the fat creates air bubbles which are supported by the flour. Butter has a lower melting point than shortening. Oil is already liquid. Creaming butter with sugar or other solid form of fat provides air pockets which help provide the wonderful crumb and texture of quality baked products.

There are some baked products that are meant to be made with liquid oil - chiffon cakes for example. However, for the most part really delicious baked products with a perfect crumb and texture rely on some form of solid shortening.

There are now solid shortenings which are healthier because they aren't hydrogenated fats which are supposed to be far worse than butter or real dairy fat products. Also Country Crock recently released some plant butters which are better subs for butter than liquid oil.

However, in my opinion, there is really nothing that compares to the taste of baked goods made with butter :-).

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:27 pm
duplicate

ibelongtosomebody

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:50 pm
What about using margarine instead of butter, does margarine work the same way?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:56 pm
ibelongtosomebody wrote:
What about using margarine instead of butter, does margarine work the same way?

Yes margarine would have about the same melting point as butter and can be used more or less interchangeably with butter. They have developed better tasting margarines as well. However, the water content of margarine can be higher than butter which can make cookies that spread out too quickly because there is less time for the air pockets to be trapped.

The reason why it is recommended that cookies be refrigerated before baking is so that the butter is as cold as possible before it hits the oven. This increases the time before the butter melts and improves the final product.

However, liquid oil is never going to be an acceptable substitute for a solid form of shortening because it is melted before it hits the oven. Smile

Baking is really a chemical process unlike regular cooking and the best result depends on using ingredients as specified to produce the proper chemical reaction. It's also why the best results are achieved by weighing ingredients - especially flour instead of measuring.

Alton Brown has a classic show (and recipes) on three types of chocolate chip cookies. One is made with butter; one is made with shortening and one is made with bread flour. Bread flour has a higher gluten content and produces a chewier cookie which many people prefer to a crisper or softer cookie.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 3:10 pm
Here's a cookie that was intended to be made with oil

Chocolate Chip Mandelbrot

Excerpt From: Dorie Greenspan. “Dorie’s Cookies.” Apple Books.

Makes about 60 cookies

3 cups plus 2 tablespoons (423 grams) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) sugar
1 cup (240 ml) flavorless oil such as canola
1 cup (200 grams) sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup (208 grams) mini semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons sugar, for sprinkling
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, for sprinkling

Center a rack in the oven and preheat it to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and have another lined sheet at hand for the second bake.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together.

Working with a large bowl and a whisk, beat the eggs and sugar together until smooth. Add the oil and vanilla and continue to whisk until you have a smooth, glossy mixture that’s slightly thickened. Switch to a sturdy flexible spatula, add half of the dry ingredients and stir until the flour disappears into the mixture. Add the rest and stir—you’ll need to put a bit of muscle into this—until it’s almost incorporated. Add the chips and continue mixing until you’ve got a thick, sticky dough.

Use the spatula to help you make 3 logs from the dough: Starting close to one long side of the baking sheet, drop, spread and cajole one third of the the dough into a log about 3 inches wide and 12 inches long. (Get the width, and whatever the length is will be fine.) It’s not a neat job and your logs won’t be pretty, but it won’t matter. Make another log in the center of the baking sheet and the last one close to the other long side of the sheet.

Stir the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle some over the logs. Save some for the second bake. (You’ll have more than you need, so be generous.)
Bake the logs for 35 to 40 minutes, rotating the sheet after 20 minutes, or until the logs are golden brown on top and deeply golden brown on bottom; they’ll crack a little, and that’s okay. Transfer the sheet to a rack.

Using a heavy knife, cut the logs on the diagonal into ½-inch-wide slices (see page 101). Transfer the slices to the clean lined baking sheet, laying them cut side down. Sprinkle the cookies with cinnamon-sugar and bake for 10 more minutes. Place the baking sheet on a rack and let the cookies cool completely.

STORING

Covered, the cookies will keep for a week or two at room temperature. They can be packed airtight and frozen for up to 2 months; defrost in their wrapping.

Plonis

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 3:26 pm
So which cookies are best made with pareve butter? (I just got some of the Country Crock to try out.)

The browned butter ones look fantastic but I doubt that margarine would be a good substitute!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins