Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job/Career ideas for the academically disinclined
1  2  Next

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 5:59 pm
Looking for ideas for jobs and careers that do not necessarily need a college degree, or an advanced college degree. This is for my DD20 who is finishing a B.A. in Social Sciences, but is (successfully and happily B'H) managing dyslexia and is not currently interested in pursuing an advanced degree because of the challenges with mainstream academic programs' heavy reading and writing requirements.

She is smart, savvy, has excellent people skills, very high emotional IQ, and a very outgoing personality. She is a real "connector" and would make a great teacher- perhaps at some point down the road (assuming she can get through more school, and/or work in klei kodesh). She does not feel ready to tackle a classroom at her age, although she is very good with kids. She currently works as an ABA tech, however, she doesn't love it due to the incremental documentation requirements and "unnatural" flow of interactions with her students.

I am the exact opposite of her in many ways, and while I can cheer her on, I am coming up dry on practical advice, so looking for crowd-sourced input on some fulfilling career options and suggestions.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom and experience!

singleagain

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 6:02 pm
Retail/customer service if she can handle ppl getting upset at her even if it's not her fault

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 6:20 pm
What about sales and marketing?

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:18 pm
mha3484 wrote:
What about sales and marketing?

How does one go about getting into that space?

Narbin

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:54 pm
Paralegal.... task based job with some variety. I am sure you can find a training for it and has earning potential.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:28 pm
Your daughter sounds like me! LOL
I flunked school but with the grace of Hashem am a very successful real estate agent.
I love my job and have all the right skills that didn't do me well in school. Its exhilarating and fulfilling helping people buy and sell homes. You are really helping people every day and there's no greater feeling than that.
Very little schooling and easy.
Hatzlacha!

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:36 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Your daughter sounds like me! LOL
I flunked school but with the grace of Hashem am a very successful real estate agent.
I love my job and have all the right skills that didn't do me well in school. Its exhilarating and fulfilling helping people buy and sell homes. You are really helping people every day and there's no greater feeling than that.
Very little schooling and easy.
Hatzlacha!

Thank you! Was actually just thinking real estate could be a good idea for her. I will do some research.

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:42 pm
Narbin wrote:
Paralegal.... task based job with some variety. I am sure you can find a training for it and has earning potential.

Thanks for the idea, Narbin...

While I am sure she could handle the people part of the job, parsing contracts, legal research and writing etc. are probably not the best direction for her to go in due to her dyslexia (not sure if you caught that in my original post, but that's why she wants to hold off on more schooling).

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:59 am
If she likes ABA, what about training to provide floortime therapy? I'm not sure what is involved, but the person I met with (but didn't use so didn't research extensively) had no college credentials, just some training.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
If she likes ABA, what about training to provide floortime therapy? I'm not sure what is involved, but the person I met with (but didn't use so didn't research extensively) had no college credentials, just some training.

At a certain point the training is limited to those with a degree in a related field. There are four levels of certification and only the first two are open to anyone without a degree. I can't see someone making this a career without completing at least the third level.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:18 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
At a certain point the training is limited to those with a degree in a related field. There are four levels of certification and only the first two are open to anyone without a degree. I can't see someone making this a career without completing at least the third level.

This
Someone providing floortime therapy needs a degree in either speech, OT, mental health etc.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:31 pm
I was also going to say real estate.

Can I ask, how is she graduating with a BA at 20? Can school help with career planning and job placement? Where is she graduating from?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:58 pm
SEll perfume I. Dept store someone else can check out customers
Make up artist

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:03 pm
Can we please let me know how she is graduating at 20.
My DD is a HS junior and I have no idea what to do to facilitate such.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:09 pm
My sister will iyh be graduating with a BA when she comes home from seminary. She started taking tests while a Junior in HS and continued through the summer and Senior year. Her seminary credits will be all that she needs to finish up.
She is going through one of the Jewish programs called CTC I believe

married123

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:32 pm
Interior design.. there is schooling but not study memorize type of schooling... very creative field

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:02 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
My sister will iyh be graduating with a BA when she comes home from seminary. She started taking tests while a Junior in HS and continued through the summer and Senior year. Her seminary credits will be all that she needs to finish up.
She is going through one of the Jewish programs called CTC I believe

How does that even work?
My older DD took 2 APs, they only let you take them Senior Year if you got an A in honors previously. (I.e., you can only take AP Calc if you got an A in honors Precalc, otherwise you take regular non-AP Calc, and only student who came into high school in the accelerated math track, got to take geometry in ninth grade instead of algebra, setting them up to even have this option, you need to get an A in 11th grade honors physics in order to take AP physics, and an A in honors history in order to take AP-US History.....)
She is not getting any credit for Sem. So she will be starting College at 19.5 with 6 credits. If she takes 18 credits a semester and does summer school, I guess she would be able to graduate at 22. That would be working her tail off and she is academically inclined
(94 unweighted GPA//34 ACT).

teachkids

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:12 pm
Would she be interested in running a 3 year old (give or take a few years, but that type) playgroup? Let her assist for a few years and then she can start her own.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:18 pm
Would she be interested in something like an ultrasound tech. Yes there is schooling but it is a very needed field and the pay is good.
Also if she likes to work with disabilities. There are adult programs that always can use people to work in that field. Residential and day programs

finprof

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:25 pm
Is she locked into children and families or will she consider other social services positions? My husband's BA was in Psych and he worked his way up from a PRSC to be a nursing home administrator (I paid for an MSW along the way but that turned out not to be necessary). It's a great job that just requires a license that you can study for independently, no advanced degree required.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics