Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Have you ever forgotten to do something imp for kid?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:23 pm
I'm feeling HORRIBLE all evening!! DD had a PJ party in school for the parsha (pharoh in pajamas) and I completely forgot to send pjs with her to school. (3 other girls in her class forgot so that makes me feel a teeny better. But I was almost crying along with her. when she came off the bus, the minute she saw me she burst into tears and said 'you forgot to send pjs!' she was sobbing so hard and I apologized and hugged and kissed her so much but I feel terrible!

make me feel better please!

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:27 pm
I forgot to gets a kid's cavity filled; the kids were screaming and jumping on me and I had to get them home so I said I would call to make the appointment when I got home but I didn't. The dentist's office didn't follow up, and I forgot it existed- it didn't hurt her. We figured it out at the next appointment, six months later, and it was really hard and painful to fill. I felt horrible.

Dolly1

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:30 pm
Op this is so painful for a mom. The guilt!! But trust me, ur dc will get over it and only become more resilient thru it. These things r the best teachers for all of us: life isn’t perfect.
Just btw; big talker that I am💪🏼. My dd once forgot something like that and I was ready to run to school and give it to her, if not for my dh stopping me and telling me she will get over it and it’s good for her. I was in tears and feeling guilty all day! Hug

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:30 pm
I didn’t apply to camp early enough. Ppl said you need to apply in September for the next summer and I kept putting it off. You can guess what happened.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:31 pm
I forgot one of my kids b-days. Only remembered a few weeks later. Although he was young and didn’t know when it actually was I felt awful about it!!
I was postpartum then

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:32 pm
My parents both thought each other had brought home my five year old sister from shul she was left behind in shul
When I was 14 I went to travel camp the weekend I was to go home my parents forgot made a mistake so friend took me in for the weekend my parents were not home

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:34 pm
Honeydew this happened to me 2 wks ago-we traveled overseas & it just slipped my mind:(
I usually like to say tehillim,light a candle....

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:34 pm
Who hasn't messed up many many times!?!
If you can keep it all together and do everything perfectly then you don't have your hands full enough.

I can't even remember what I have neglected to do.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:35 pm
Dolly1 wrote:
Op this is so painful for a mom. The guilt!! But trust me, ur dc will get over it and only become more resilient thru it. These things r the best teachers for all of us: life isn’t perfect.
Just btw; big talker that I am💪🏼. My dd once forgot something like that and I was ready to run to school and give it to her, if not for my dh stopping me and telling me she will get over it and it’s good for her. I was in tears and feeling guilty all day! Hug

THank you! that was helpful to hear!!

just last week a DS had to bring a stuffed animal to school for makas arov. we left it at the front door so we should remember to take it with us but sometime in the morning someone started playing with it and it was moved away form sight. when picked him up he was so upset but I didn't feel so bad. morah gave him one from the toy box and then we brought it to nursery the next day.

DD's thing can't be fixed like that, but I guess your right. she'll learn...

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm feeling HORRIBLE all evening!! DD had a PJ party in school for the parsha (pharoh in pajamas) and I completely forgot to send pjs with her to school. (3 other girls in her class forgot so that makes me feel a teeny better. But I was almost crying along with her. when she came off the bus, the minute she saw me she burst into tears and said 'you forgot to send pjs!' she was sobbing so hard and I apologized and hugged and kissed her so much but I feel terrible!

make me feel better please!

This is not about making you feel better, but I want to put it out there for those Imas that are teachers...sometimes, if you see that a kid has forgotten something, it would be a chessed to call the parent to ask her if she can possibly bring the item. I am also the spaced out type, and have received calls from the teacher to bring the missing item...I always really appreciated the gesture.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:43 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
This is not about making you feel better, but I want to put it out there for those Imas that are teachers...sometimes, if you see that a kid has forgotten something, it would be a chessed to call the parent to ask her if she can possibly bring the item. I am also the spaced out type, and have received calls from the teacher to bring the missing item...I always really appreciated the gesture.

Its a very good idea but, I know for fact that this if most probably not something the teacher would let. Its the way the school is run.

I almost told DD that next time she can ask to call me and I will try to brin git to her if it works out. but I know its not something the school/teacher would allow so didn't' suggest it.

I was upset when I mistakenly gave DD double lunch and DS had no lunch in his bag. the morah should have called me to bring over lunch. she gave him pretzels instead and he came home famished. it was a funny mistake but I felt so bad because it was so easily fixable for me.

momX4

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:31 pm
I have a class WhatsApp group for my kids classes. Usually a mom will post a reminder for something important.

I have forgotten to send in things. Your dc is big enough to prepare the doll, costume... on their own.

I pushed off making eye dr appointments for my kids. They needed the appointment before January. I needed up taking them at a very inconvenient time. They came late to school and I and lost PTO hours because of it.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:35 pm
as a morah I just want to say we usually have backups in our classroom for the kid who forgets. I always keep an extra grape juice bottle and snack in cabinet in case the shabbos mommy or tatty forgets to bring and I sneak it into their backbacp and say oh look your mommy must have put it ina different pocket! - I keep an extra white shirt on white shirt days, an extra change of clothes etc...
Morahs please keep extras so kids dont feel bad!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:36 pm
My son had to wear a white shirt for an occasion in yeshiva. I completely forgot. The rebbi called me that my son looks very upset so I went to school to bring him the shirt. He was so happy and I was really grateful to the rebbi.

I once forgot to send lunch with dd and it was bitter cold. My husband passed that area so he took her lunch. All she spoke about that day was that tatty came to her school to bring her lunch. It meant more to her than the lunch itself.

polka dots

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:37 pm
It’s ok. Life happens. It’s one of the lessons kids learn.

I think another lesson that kids learn is how to accept yourself even when you make a mistake. You are a model for her how to do that. So if you keep on apologizing and trying to make up for it you are showing her that it is terrible to mess up.

If you apologize once and validate her feeling of being different in school and ask how she felt or what she did. And decide how next time the two of you can remember better. Like an alarm on phone or to do it as soon as you see the note. Whatever. Then you show her that it’s ok to make a mistake. And when you do you try to see how to better yourself for next time. That’s something kids need to learn too.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:37 pm
Forgot my kid’s teacher’s wedding. He had been looking forward to it for weeks. Felt horrible Sad

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:38 pm
One more thing.
there is a mother in my class who has the kindest most beautiful heart ever! Whenever there is something that needs to be sent in she always sends in TWO!!! one for her kid and she sends me a message that there is an extra in her bag for any other child that may need and forgets.

when we asked for 2 dollars to help pay for a class keepsake that was optional to buy she sends in 4 dollars 2 for her kid and she tells me please use the extra 2 for any child whose mother cant afford to buy it for her child.
She is the nicest person ever.

MOTHERS!! You can be that mother!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:41 pm
Tip: put item that needs to be brought to school in backpack as soon as you read the note about it so you don't forget! Wink

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:43 pm
My 3rd grade student forgot to bring something for a siyum. She asked if she can leave the class. She came back with a tray filled with muffins. She got it in the lunchroom, they served it that day and put out the extras. She was so adorable. She gave one for every kid.

She was so confident and mature about it. I wanted to give her a hug. Kids need to learn resilience and problem solving skills.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:43 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
One more thing.
there is a mother in my class who has the kindest most beautiful heart ever! Whenever there is something that needs to be sent in she always sends in TWO!!! one for her kid and she sends me a message that there is an extra in her bag for any other child that may need and forgets.

when we asked for 2 dollars to help pay for a class keepsake that was optional to buy she sends in 4 dollars 2 for her kid and she tells me please use the extra 2 for any child whose mother cant afford to buy it for her child.
She is the nicest person ever.

MOTHERS!! You can be that mother!

WOW!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics