Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Wish I could open a school
Previous  1  2

chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 7:55 pm
[quote="naturalmom5"]
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I so badly wish there was girl school that focus on hashkaffa and wat yiddishkeit is about rather just in the academics texts and grades.wish school wiuldnt out so much pressure on our precious girls[/quote

Maybe they have to , because the boys arent getting any academics,

Someone needs an education... Theres no magic

Oh please, it's absolutely not about that. They can't teach gemara and the like to girls but still need to keep them busy, so there comes Hebrew and secular education.

chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 8:00 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
why open a school for non-cookie cutters. why can't the 10 mis-shaped cookies learn in the same school with all the other perfect cookies? A school that teaches good middos will have the rest of the student body accept these kids

No administration of a big school wants to deal with mis-shaped cookies. Not enough resources, money, appropriate professional staff.
No mainstream school wants to be known for catering to mis-shaped cookies. Every school thinks it's perfect and the best.
Perfect cookies' parents don't want them to be together with mis-shaped ones.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 8:01 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I used to send to a school that was started by someone like op. I thought it was amazing at first and then I didn't. my kids ended up having social issues there. There were other stuff we weren't happy about. I don't want to go in to too much detail since people might be able to figure out where I'm talking about but we switched to a "mainstream" school which has other issues but our kids are happier. I've come to realize no place is perfect.

I hear you about the homeschooling thing. Wish it was more accepted.

I think this is a very important point. In the same way that each parenting style has some kind of fallout, each type of school has the same.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 8:17 pm
with us it wasn't actually the school's hashkafa, vision whatever you want to call it that was the problem. We actually were really on board with that which made it hard to decide to switch. It's just that there is more to a school then just it's philosophy and sometimes things don't actually play out in real life the same way they do in dreams.

Like theory school should be a safe place for all children and all children should get along but what happens when it's a teacher's child who is picking on another kid? Yes there was discipline after each individual incident but that doesn't change the fact that this kid knows she isn't liked and when there aren't so many kids in the class.... it can be an issue. We didn't switch because of that because I realize that kind of thing can happen everywhere, it's just not what you expect when you thought this school was going to be utopia Wink.

I also see that the person who started it works incredibly hard. It's not easy.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 8:29 pm
Someone I know started such a school for her child. She utilized free advertising in social media, and got volunteers to teach. So far bh it’s working out ok. It’s a small group of high school kids.
Just know she works very very hard. Coordinating teaching schedules, reaching out to parents, actively pursuing social activities for the students. It’s a huge undertaking. I wonder if it will still continue when her child graduates. Or maybe she’ll pass on the torch to the next parent.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 8:50 pm
Thanks everyone
It’s a chassidish school, pretty old-school.
Dd has ADHD, an overactive imagination, and no filter. Suffice to say that in a school that’s run with the same vision for decades that doesn’t go over so well. We get lots of phone calls and every so often they call us down for a meeting to tell us all the terrible things she’s been saying. To the teachers mind you, who keep asking questions, that she takes very literally.
It’s just really frustrating.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:08 pm
Self directed computer lessons for math and English. You teach math to your friends kid and they teach your kid gemara. We all need to get out of the standard educatioj box. Melamed academy is excellent and 15 dollars a month.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:10 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Self directed computer lessons for math and English. You teach math to your friends kid and they teach your kid gemara. We all need to get out of the standard educatioj box. Melamed academy is excellent and 15 dollars a month.

This is really simplifying it. I visited yeshivat heatid. The kids work in small groups in carefully planned centers, computers being one of them. The teachers are trained in small group instruction and really scaffolding. They're not playing computer games during that time. And the system the older kids use has its pros and cons.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:11 pm
What area are you in OP?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:13 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
What area are you in OP?

Williamsburg

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:19 pm
ectomorph wrote:

I think it's much more $$ than that.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:35 pm
ectomorph wrote:

I paid $250 a month for Melamed academy.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:37 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I paid $250 a month for Melamed academy.

I believe you. Someone told me that I guess they were wrong. It seemed very cheap for such a curriculum.

But my point is that we need to be more solution seeking.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Williamsburg

Sorry. I thought I had a school for you, but it's too far. It's in Lincoln Park.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:52 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I believe you. Someone told me that I guess they were wrong. It seemed very cheap for such a curriculum.

But my point is that we need to be more solution seeking.

Me and my husband are working on a (free) solution, but it is unfortunately going to take a while...

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 11:39 pm
Dear OP, I empathize with you. the staff that make up any school, even the most amazing hands on, parent raving school are usually people who grew up in a paradise of no ADHD, great coordination, were well liked by peers and teachers, have the gift of the gab and can be the meanest/cruelest people that get away with it cause of their saavy social grace (and have no idea how the rest of humanity struggles in a school setting)...

If there is a social services agency (like petach tikva) in your area that has mental health therapists, please send your daughter. It does not matter who you meet in the waiting room. It doesnt matter that their therapists are not expensive designer name therapists.

What matters is that they make the school feel that someone is watching their behavior.
There will be special teacher questionnaires. There will be the option of giving permission for therapist to speak to the principal, teacher, with amazing results.

The school suddenly changes direction, treats your daughter like a precious soul and bends over to please therapist, mother, father, student....

(a private therapist is NOT OVERSEEN by any supervisor and may be manipulative and buddy buddy with the school (as opposed to staying on goal to get the school to provide an emotionally healthy environment for your child.)

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 11:42 pm
My friend did jewish online school for her son and loved it, but its not chassidish. It's a regular day school.

Ravenclaw

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 9:22 am
I have a dream of opening a school where instead of grades parents and students are given in-depth reports on progress and problematic areas.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 9:26 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Dear OP, I empathize with you. the staff that make up any school, even the most amazing hands on, parent raving school are usually people who grew up in a paradise of no ADHD, great coordination, were well liked by peers and teachers, have the gift of the gab and can be the meanest/cruelest people that get away with it cause of their saavy social grace (and have no idea how the rest of humanity struggles in a school setting)...

If there is a social services agency (like petach tikva) in your area that has mental health therapists, please send your daughter. It does not matter who you meet in the waiting room. It doesnt matter that their therapists are not expensive designer name therapists.

What matters is that they make the school feel that someone is watching their behavior.
There will be special teacher questionnaires. There will be the option of giving permission for therapist to speak to the principal, teacher, with amazing results.

The school suddenly changes direction, treats your daughter like a precious soul and bends over to please therapist, mother, father, student....

(a private therapist is NOT OVERSEEN by any supervisor and may be manipulative and buddy buddy with the school (as opposed to staying on goal to get the school to provide an emotionally healthy environment for your child.)

I agree with this.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics