Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Homework opinions please/ rant!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:50 pm
How important do you feel homework is for a elementary aged child.
What is the benefit of it?

Should a child who spends a full day at school have to come home and do hw?

I’m going crazy! No matter what I do or try, hw takes so long and is dragged out over the whole evening! ..... and the child just can’t sit!
He/she is smart but it is still a fight/ struggle every step of the way!

Nothing should put his/her home life balance In jeopardy!

Home should be a place to unwind and recharge!

Unfortunately the school we send to are big believers in hw and education (I like the education part!) but why send it home?! And so much of it!!

I seriously would consider having less kids because homework makes it so stressful

Ok rant over!

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 9:51 pm
I'm with you!
You may enjoy this thread... https://www.imamother.com/foru.....53350

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 11:18 pm
I told my kids teachers when they were little, that I will allow dc to do hw for 20 minutes Max and that’s it. So what do they want to prioritize? The teacher would pretty quickly pick 1-2 things to start with and then the rest would be an added bonus. I wanted to make sure dc wouldn’t get in trouble for missing 1/2 of hw daily, but I couldn’t let them sit for an hour plus after a long day of school.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 12:18 am
I am of the no homework camp. All the way.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 1:08 am
Minimal homework, if any at all, that reinforces what the child has already mastered at school is acceptable.

Pages of busy work, math problems they don’t know how to solve, multiple book chapters to read, anything that requires my assistance or endless research on the computer is not.

The schools have my kids 8 hours a day. They need to use the time wisely to get their job done.

When kids get home, they’re on my clock. They get to relax, play games, toss a ball around, bike, read a book, do a craft. In other words: be a kid.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 1:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How important do you feel homework is for a elementary aged child.
What is the benefit of it?

Should a child who spends a full day at school have to come home and do hw?

I’m going crazy! No matter what I do or try, hw takes so long and is dragged out over the whole evening! ..... and the child just can’t sit!
He/she is smart but it is still a fight/ struggle every step of the way!

Nothing should put his/her home life balance In jeopardy!

Home should be a place to unwind and recharge!

Unfortunately the school we send to are big believers in hw and education (I like the education part!) but why send it home?! And so much of it!!

I seriously would consider having less kids because homework makes it so stressful

Ok rant over!

Did you speak to the teachers? I have this exact issue with my son and the teachers are very understanding. The Rebbi said take all pressure off Chumash review and just read it with him. The English teacher said after 15 minutes just stop, sign the paper and tell him that morah said it’s okay.
My son needs downtime when he comes home and can’t look at hw until after he plays a bit and eats supper. Our evenings are much calmer now.

And I’m totally with you that most hw should be abolished!!!!

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 1:32 am
I wouldn't do this to my child, but I think it would make the right statement if all the mothers were to send household chores to school with the child.

shaqued_almond

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 2:01 am
Imo if school is very long kids should get less or no homework. Homework needs to reinforce what kids learned or prepare the next lesson, on the other hand kids also need free time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics