Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Update! Store owners- how do you deal with difficult
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:20 am
I recently opened a business (a home based linen store) and I’m trying to find the the right balance between nice (aka good customer service) and not letting customers take advantage of me. Yesterday I went out of my way for a customer and in the end she accused me of bad customer service. Here’s what happened:

She texts me for pictures on Tuesday.
I ask her to check out our website.
She says she doesn’t have internet.
I send her all the pictures.
She doesn’t respond.
She texts me last night- can you send me pictures.
I already did but I resend no problem.
She asks me a bunch of questions (like what’s the price? Why do you charge tax if I pay you cash? She sends me a picture of her room and I send her 4 sets that can go very well IMO Ect) so finally I call her to talk because it’s easier for me.
I tell to come in so she can see the set with her own eyes.
She says she just gave birth.
Fine.
Can her husband pick up a duvet cover to see?
No we give out shams.
She kvetches that she can’t tell from just a pillowcase.
Then she asks when’s the latest he can come and I say no later then 10 please.
It’s 5 to 10 and she texts Can I leave it outside?
No I’m not comfortable. It was raining and I need him to sign them out.
I tell her I decided to be nice in her case because she just had a baby (and here is my mistake!! Why do I have to be super nice?!?!) and I’ll send the duvet covers provided he returns them first thing tomorrow. (I don’t tell her because Sunday morning is our busiest day and I need the covers to show customers.)
She says no problem he’ll return them Sunday morning.
Fine.
She says he’s on his way.
I wait.
He finally comes 10:20.
I show him the covers. I take down his number. I ask if he has a check for a deposit and he said he doesn’t. I hear the wife on the phone get frustrated and say fine just take the shams.
I say no I’ll give them to you because I told you about it already. And I don’t go back on my word.
He leaves.
She texts me 15 minutes later can he bring them back now?
I say no it’s fine (I’m in bed already chilling, I’m not going down to answer the door...) tomorrow is ok. Which set did you decide on?
She says neither were ok.
I was shocked (trust me I’m ok that she didn’t buy - actually relived not to have to deal with her or hear from her ever again- but in the moment something nasty came out.) I texted:
Seriously? Ok please return tomorrow morning please.

She answers first:
I know.
Then:
You would think you gave me a diamond. Relax I'm not running away with your two duvet covers. Part of running a business is customer service.

I started shaking - I felt like I was punched in my gut- but I was able to answer:
Trust me I know 😊 have a great night

But needless to say I feel horrible and I’m so upset at her and myself.

My dh said she just had a baby which is true but from the first time I spoke to her I realized she was someone who would just waste a lot of my time. Sad
I dont mind people wasting my time - it’s part of business- but that comment about my customer service hurt so much I cried all night. I mean I literally have her my whole night and that was her response????

Yes I said a mean word (seriously) and I was so so wrong.

What could I do better next time? How do I set better boundaries but still be nice?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:47 am
IMO, you were great! Very patient and handled her well. I feel bad for her husband who has to live with her. She must be a difficult person all around.

Stars

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:58 am
First things first take this episode as a lesson and stop texting with clients. Nothing good ever comes of it. BTDT.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:06 am
I agree. Just run a professional store where people come in person or visit the website online. Emails can be responded to during business hours.
Set up whatever boundaries work for you, and just smile and stick to them.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:18 am
ra_mom wrote:
I agree. Just run a professional store where people come in person or visit the website online. Emails can be responded to during business hours.
Set up whatever boundaries work for you, and just smile and stick to them.

THIS. Business is business.

Please don't take things personally. You're not here to make new best friends, you're here to support your family. You do not owe anyone above and beyond what is normal and expected.

Remind yourself that all parnossa comes from Hashem, and that if you were meant to have that sale, you would have it. It's not supposed to come to you at the expense of your peace of mind. You never know, someone really nice might come in tomorrow, and buy twice as much as the other lady!

Think of this as Hashem sending you a learning experience, so that you will know how to set up your shop and protect yourself from people who do not respect you. B'H, you did not lose any money over it. Some very trusting people have lost a lot of money over similar lessons. You got off easy.

Wishing you much success in your new venture!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:20 am
Stars wrote:
First things first take this episode as a lesson and stop texting with clients. Nothing good ever comes of it. BTDT.

Thank you. My dh suggested the same thing. The problem is that I need to text my address and hours. Also I have google voice number and people know they can text us.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. My dh suggested the same thing. The problem is that I need to text my address and hours. Also I have google voice number and people know they can text us.

Why do you need to text them this info? Change your communication structure while you still can.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:26 am
I'm not a business owner, but you went beyond reasonable good customer service. I think this customer was very unreasonable.

While good customer service is important, setting boundaries and sticking to your policies is also important. I would have pleasantly said that when the customer is feeling better, you would be happy to see her in your store.

Last edited by dee's mommy on Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

happymom123

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can treat text like email. Only answer during business hours and have an auto response for after

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:54 am
I really appreciate all the responses. Thank you so much! You are making me feel better.

My question is- how mean of me was it to write “seriously”?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:57 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Why do you need to text them this info? Change your communication structure while you still can.

How do you recommend I do that?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can have a copy paste response ready for every business related text that comes in. Even if people know you have a Google voice number. It can be something like

Thank you for contacting ABC Linen.
We are located at 1234 56th Street, side entrance. Our store hours are Monday to Thursday 10:00am to 3:00pm.
If you have any questions, please feel free to stop by or email us at abclinen@gmail.com.

trixx

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you recommend I do that?

Why can't this info be written on your insta page? (which you should have if you don't)
It can also be a voicemail on a Google voice number that is set to go straight to voice mail.
You can reply only during set hours either to Google voice text or Instagram messages

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really appreciate all the responses. Thank you so much! You are making me feel better.

You did fine. It was a very hard situation and many people would not have been as polite as you. Smile

Rappel

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:05 am
Can I buy my linen sets from you? You sound like a very nice person, and I like to support home businesses if I can.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:09 am
Rappel wrote:
Can I buy my linen sets from you? You sound like a very nice person, and I like to support home businesses if I can.

Your very sweet. Thank you! I’ll PM you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:10 am
ra_mom wrote:
You did fine. It was a very hard situation and many people would not have been as polite as you. Smile

Thank you!!!!! I couldn’t stop thinking last night about why I said that. I was so mad at myself. She made me feel worthless. You guys are making me feel so much better!

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Let’s not say mean. Let’s say unprofessional.

I grew up working in our family business. “The customer is always right “ is seared into my brain. Of course we know they aren’t always right, and many are downright abusive. But to be successful you have to treat them like they’re always right.

Everything else you did was amazing. Unfortunately human nature is you do 9 amazing things and one not so great thing, and people focus on or remember the not so great thing. Just the way it is. Unfortunately.

But don’t beat yourself up over this. It’s a new business and there is a learning curve.

Wishing you great success!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:25 am
So really you should not have written “seriously”, but this customer is waaaaay out of line! Something I learned early on is you must set boundaries! You let yourself be pushed way too far. Good customer service means every customer is welcomed with a smile and treated well, fair return policy. It does not mean that customers text you and abuse you. You’re a store, if someone wants to buy linen, they should come to your store, if she just had a baby, she doesn’t have to buy linen now. You need regular hours and an instagram page as others have said to view hours and pictures. Being a Shmattah and letting your customers do whatever they want is not good customer service. They won’t take your business seriously.

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:32 am
Your word was that you would give the product secured by a check. No check. No product.

How are you going to answer the next costumer that says you gave Mrs. B two duvet covers with no security, why are you treating me different?

In addition to firm business hours, you need policies that you follow for all.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics