Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Aramaic Boys and Girls Names
Previous  1  2  3

Aylat

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 4:03 am
etky wrote:
Was just going to say this.
Akiva is from the Hebrew root עקב like יעקב . Some even say it is a derivative or corruption of the name יעקב.

I always thought Akiva is the Aramaic equivalent of Yaakov. It has an Aramaic type spelling with א at the end.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 4:05 am
dankbar wrote:
Some names from times of amoroim are still in use today like
Hillel, Shammai, Eluzer, Eliezer, Yehoshua, Chanina but some not like Tarfon, Azarye, Choinie, Gurion, Tradyon.

Three of our boys are Akiva, Eliezer, Yehoshua. Since then every pregnancy we tease the kids that this child will be called Tarfon. (See the Haggada.)

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 8:17 am
Aylat wrote:
I always thought Akiva is the Aramaic equivalent of Yaakov. It has an Aramaic type spelling with א at the end.

This is what I learned too. Aramaic and Hebrew share root word words/shorashim as Aramaic is probably the closest language to Hebrew.

etky

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 9:01 am
Aylat wrote:

So if indeed it is a derivative of Ya'acov, does the fact that it has an Aramaic construction make it an Aramaic name? I don't know. The origin is Hebrew. It's certainly not Aramaic in the sense that Shraga is.
I think it's the same argument that people have over English names. Is Jacob an English name or the English version of Ya'acov?

etky

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 9:16 am
Two more names that I just thought of:
Tzafrir - from the Aramaic word for morning צפרא
Ilay - unis-x - meaning superior or elevated in Aramaic.

mpk

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 9:32 am
שכנא is Aramaic. Means שכינה.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 9:49 am
etky wrote:
So if indeed it is a derivative of Ya'acov, does the fact that it has an Aramaic construction make it an Aramaic name? I don't know. The origin is Hebrew. It's certainly not Aramaic in the sense that Shraga is.
I think it's the same argument that people have over English names. Is Jacob an English name or the English version of Ya'acov?

Jacob is a Hebrew name.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names