Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spin off - what makes linen high quality ?
1  2  3  4  Next

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 2:47 pm
I don't think I have ever spent more than $20-30 on a set of sheets. What makes linen worth $200 ? Is it just brand name ?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 3:27 pm
100% cotton
And thread count

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 3:29 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
100% cotton
And thread count

You can get that at homegoods and Costco for $20-30 (ok, maybe 40 if you want a specific color)

yiddishmom

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 3:31 pm
What do you get for $20? Sheet, duvet cover, and 2 pillow cases?

Sorry, I did not see the original thread.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 3:31 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I don't think I have ever spent more than $20-30 on a set of sheets. What makes linen worth $200 ? Is it just brand name ?

You mentioned a set of sheets only. The more expensive linen is usually a set of : a sham, a pillow case, a fitted sheet and a duvet cover . Sometimes there are additional pillow cases as well. It also has to do with the thread count and whether it’s 100% cotton and the type of cotton.
There are also some specific prints that can only be found in higher end linen. Those are my own personal observations.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 3:48 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
You mentioned a set of sheets only. The more expensive linen is usually a set of : a sham, a pillow case, a fitted sheet and a duvet cover . Sometimes there are additional pillow cases as well. It also has to do with the thread count and whether it’s 100% cotton and the type of cotton.
There are also some specific prints that can only be found in higher end linen. Those are my own personal observations.

No! The "high quality" sets in Jewish stores usually include everything for 2 beds! While the sets at IKEA, Amazon, Century 21, etc. are for only one bed. The Jewish stores do tend to be pricier but not as much after you calculate that you're actually getting linen for 2 beds.
I remember browsing online for DD for camp linen. We saw linen that she liked on Amazon for $40. For $60-80, I could've bought comparable linen at Closeout Connection for 2 beds.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 3:50 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
No! The "high quality" sets in Jewish stores usually include everything for 2 beds! While the sets at IKEA, Amazon, Century 21, etc. are for only one bed. The Jewish stores do tend to be pricier but not as much after you calculate that you're actually getting linen for 2 beds.
I remember browsing online for DD for camp linen. We saw linen that she liked on Amazon for $40. For $60-80, I could've bought comparable linen at Closeout Connection for 2 beds.
I was thinking the same thing, that a set is two beds.

Amarante

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 4:00 pm
Are you equating high quality with price?

In general more expensive sheets have high cotton and the cotton is a higher quality. It's not enough just to have a high thread count.

In general sheets with a higher thread count and higher quality cotton are more comfortable to sleep in. And then there are people who use either 100% linen or silk sheets which are quite expensive and generally priced by the piece - I.e. you buy a sheet, fitted sheet, pillow case etc.

And the other factor is style of course. If you look at catalogues of expensive linens, they are generally much more beautiful than the styles available at Target or BB&Beyond - at least in my opinion.

Of course like anything else, it's a personal decision as to whether spending more or less for linen or anything else.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:18 pm
Amarante wrote:
Are you equating high quality with price?

In general more expensive sheets have high cotton and the cotton is a higher quality. It's not enough just to have a high thread count.

In general sheets with a higher thread count and higher quality cotton are more comfortable to sleep in. And then there are people who use either 100% linen or silk sheets which are quite expensive and generally priced by the piece - I.e. you buy a sheet, fitted sheet, pillow case etc.

And the other factor is style of course. If you look at catalogues of expensive linens, they are generally much more beautiful than the styles available at Target or BB&Beyond - at least in my opinion.

Of course like anything else, it's a personal decision as to whether spending more or less for linen or anything else.

Lol.. true that quality and price are 2 different things . I just found it very interesting that most people would say it's a waste to spend $70 on toddler clothes and a metziah to buy linen for $200 . I spend $10-20 on toddler clothes and $20 range for linen . Normally cheap goes together.

cnc

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:22 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Lol.. true that quality and price are 2 different things . I just found it very interesting that most people would say it's a waste to spend $70 on toddler clothes and a metziah to buy linen for $200 . I spend $10-20 on toddler clothes and $20 range for linen . Normally cheap goes together.

What are you getting for $20 linen?
A set of linen (that the other OP was referring to ) generally includes 2 sheets, 2 duvet covers , 2 shams and 2 envelopes. $200 is definitely a metziah. I’ve tried ordering linen at Macy’s , IKEA, Lands End ... it didn’t come out at all cheaper than the Jewish stores.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:43 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

For $20 linen you get a flat sheet and a sham and you still have to get a duvet, a second sham and a flat sheet. So it ends up being not much less than $100 a bed. The $200 linen listed is $100 per bed all inclusive.

Also, a little boys shirt lasts a 4 month season. A good set of linen lasts 4 years.

Amarante

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:47 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

I would be much more likely to splurge on higher quality linen than a shirt for a toddler boy.

Good linen lasts a long time and it also gives one pleasure every night whether that is aesthetic or comfort pleasure.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:53 pm
ra_mom wrote:
For $20 linen you get a flat sheet and a sham and you still have to get a duvet, a second sham and a flat sheet. So it ends up being not much less than $100 a bed. The $200 linen listed is $100 per bed all inclusive.

Also, a little boys shirt lasts a 4 month season. A good set of linen lasts 4 years.

I buy a duvet cover + 1 pillowcase set from ikea and a set of sheets from target for the bottom sheets and second pillow case. I pay max $30 per set , so $120 for the whole deal for 2 beds. Admittingly I don’t bother with high thread counts.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:55 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I buy a duvet cover + 1 pillowcase set from ikea and a set of sheets from target for the bottom sheets and second pillow case. I pay max $30 per set , so $120 for the whole deal for 2 beds. Admittingly I don’t bother with high thread counts.

Right. So it's not much of a jump from $120 to $200 for higher quality cotton and thread count. I usually buy great quality for $160 all in one inclusive, everything matching as a set, so it's not worthwhile for me to buy in piecemeal.

simba

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:08 pm
I'm a about 100% cotton and a high thread count (ideally 800) You get a luxurious silky cotton. It's washes beautiful and lasts many years.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:18 pm
I received a set of linen as a wedding gift. It's considered "high quality" and sells for a lot- more than I would ever spend for myself. BUT. 1. It's beautiful, with lots of hand sewn details. 2. It's incredibly comfortable. Not sure how to describe it but it's like 100% cotton buttery clouds. 3. this set lasted 10 years in perfect condition. I'm still using it years later, but one of the sheets is ripped by now.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:33 pm
Am I the only one that doesn't buy in Jewish stores because I absolutely hate duvet covers? I also have queen size beds and find it so hard to find in the local Jewish stores. They always want a lot more bacause it's "custom".

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:34 pm
The more expensive sets dress up the room. It's instead of using a pretty bedspread. When you have like damask or velvet from the top and then sateen cotton sheets from the back and
for the sheets.

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:40 pm
High thread count, soft texture.
I've always considered bed linens to be an expensive item in general (like a coat).

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:41 pm
I grew up on cheaper sets but Dh grew up on expensive sets. We bought expensive cotton linen and I really see a difference. I don't sweat, it doesn't fade or gray, it's super comfortable.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics