Home

Is there a way to make the internet safe w/o buying filter?
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Technology and Devices


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:37 am
I've had such bad luck with filters - tried several and they've all slowed down my computer. At this point my priority is to get the internet filtered for my kids. Is there some type of browser I can download that will be safe for kids? That way, I can create a windows user for them and allow only that browser to be used. Anyone know of a solution like this?
Back to top

forgetit




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:03 pm
I personally make do with the filter annoyances, but you might be able to do different settings for different users. I wonder if you can filter only your kids username and not your username (have separate users and passwords for all.). Not sure its a solution. Just a guess for something you can look into.
Back to top

Odelyah




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've had such bad luck with filters - tried several and they've all slowed down my computer. At this point my priority is to get the internet filtered for my kids. Is there some type of browser I can download that will be safe for kids? That way, I can create a windows user for them and allow only that browser to be used. Anyone know of a solution like this?


even if hypothetically there was a safe browser for kids, how would you ensure they only use that browser if you don't have a filter? unless your kids are toddlers they could easily use a different browser than the one you choose.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:05 pm
Odelyah wrote:
even if hypothetically there was a safe browser for kids, how would you ensure they only use that browser if you don't have a filter? unless your kids are toddlers they could easily use a different browser than the one you choose.


Windows allows you to create a child profile and specify which programs you allow them to use.
Back to top

amother




Coffee
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:06 pm
For a start, you can put youtube and google on safety mode.
Back to top

amother




Bisque
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 2:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Windows allows you to create a child profile and specify which programs you allow them to use.

This feature is buggy.
Back to top

amother




Cerise
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 6:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've had such bad luck with filters - tried several and they've all slowed down my computer. At this point my priority is to get the internet filtered for my kids. Is there some type of browser I can download that will be safe for kids? That way, I can create a windows user for them and allow only that browser to be used. Anyone know of a solution like this?


Kaspersky anti virus has a "kaspersky safe kids" that you can apply to just certain users. It comes along with the full anti virus package. You can filter sites that are allowed, monitor internet usage, etc. Something cool- besides for setting some types of sites as not allowed at all, you can set certain types of sites as allowed but you'll get an email every time they're visited. I never used it for my kids- I have Kaspersky anti-virus and used the safe kids feature instead of a filter for myself- so I never tried out all the additional features. I don't think it slowed anything down.
Back to top

amother




Firebrick
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 6:34 pm
I use OpenDNS to filter at the router level, as protection level 1. It doesn't slow anything down, but it's not 100% effective either.

I have Mac computers, so I use Parental Controls as a secondary filter. I don't know how Windows compares. I do a whitelist - meaning they can ONLY access sites I explicitly allowed. (No Google, no YouTube, etc.)

I usually also have one of the other free filters - K9 (in the past) or Qustodio (which does slow things down somewhat).

If they ever need anything more from the internet, they can do it with me.
Back to top

amother




cornflower
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 8:08 pm
Verizon has a home protection with password feature of Fios app.
Apple also has filtering options on their devices.
Don’t know how foolproof these are though.
Back to top

Mama Bear




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:13 pm
K9 is a great filter and doens slow down the computer.
Back to top

amother




Amethyst
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:37 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I use OpenDNS to filter at the router level, as protection level 1. It doesn't slow anything down, but it's not 100% effective either.

I have Mac computers, so I use Parental Controls as a secondary filter. I don't know how Windows compares. I do a whitelist - meaning they can ONLY access sites I explicitly allowed. (No Google, no YouTube, etc.)

I usually also have one of the other free filters - K9 (in the past) or Qustodio (which does slow things down somewhat).

If they ever need anything more from the internet, they can do it with me.

Qustodio is free?
Back to top

amother




Firebrick
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:40 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Qustodio is free?

The basic version is. All the advanced stuff is not.
Back to top

amother




Firebrick
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:40 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
K9 is a great filter and doens slow down the computer.

K9 has been discontinued.
Back to top

wantavaca




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:17 pm
Get iPads and don’t have a search engine
Just put whatever apps u allow
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:29 pm
wantavaca wrote:
Get iPads and don’t have a search engine
Just put whatever apps u allow


Ipads for sure has a search engine. Comes with safari and Google.
Back to top

amother




Firebrick
 

Post  Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:31 pm
singleagain wrote:
Ipads for sure has a search engine. Comes with safari and Google.

If you block Siri and Safari, you won't have access to them.
Back to top

Mama Bear




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Feb 04 2020, 4:47 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
K9 has been discontinued.

still works on mine
Back to top

amother




Cerise
 

Post  Tue, Feb 04 2020, 5:25 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
K9 has been discontinued.


Really? For how long?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Tue, Feb 04 2020, 5:52 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
still works on mine


It still works on computers that it was installed on before it was discontinued, but it does not receive updates anymore, in effect being a defunct filter.
Back to top

Odelyah




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Qustodio is free?


we have had qustodio for years but I found out the hard way that it is very easy for determined teenagers to bypass it Sad

once TAG came to our community I worked with them and have been very happy overall with Netspark.

We also bought a Netgear router to add another layer of protection with their parental controls (these only help with the internet in the house-- and if you live somewhere with free public wifi it's pretty useless)
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Technology and Devices

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Want to make Aliyah but scared
by amother
172 Tue, Jul 07 2020, 5:49 pm View last post
How to make connected beds in the morning
by amother
10 Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:52 am View last post
Staying in a Motel this summer, in a state near NY. Safe or
by amother
17 Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:27 am View last post
Buying a band fall on Ali
by amother
0 Mon, Jul 06 2020, 7:57 pm View last post
Is it safe to stay at a hotel in San Diego California?
by amother
2 Mon, Jul 06 2020, 11:34 am View last post

Jump to: