Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Present for single teacher
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:57 pm
I want to get a present for my daugters teacher that went out of her way to help us.
Any ideas?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:10 pm
My sister is single and an amazing special Ed teacher. She gets all kids of gifts from the parents from cookbooks to personalized siddur to vases and dishes. Restaurant coupons, gift certificates for seforim stores or costume jewelry stores, etc
Personally I give the same mishloach manos and stuff to single teachers and married as I feel they all work hard and marital status has no role in it.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:11 pm
Anything you’d get a married teacher

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:16 pm
I know she works just as hard if not even harder than married teachers. That's why I want an idea of something to get her personal for her and not a dish or a vase or something that would just go to be used in her parents house

happy to be me

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:23 pm
Gift card
Book
Swarovski pen
Chocolates
Illuminated perek shira
Really anything you would give any adult.

rachel6543

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:26 pm
Gift cards or $.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:41 pm
A wallet
Perfume

Simple1

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:46 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Anything you’d get a married teacher

Not necessarily. If she lives with her family, she may not appreciate a shared household item such as a serving piece, which ends up being more of a gift for her mother. She will more likely enjoy a personal item that she can keep for herself. For example, an overnight bag or a water bottle.

Edit: Op, I see you replied similar to what I said.

outline

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:55 pm
A personalized mug?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 12:23 am
No mugs please, im sure she has a million and what would she do with it anyway.
I think something with beauty, makeup, perfume, a gift card to sephora ? maybe a beauty kit you put together for her? a basket filled with beauty items she can use? with some chocolate tucked in? I always find a mix of a few things is better then one big thing because then there is bound to be at least one or 2 things she likes even if one or 2 things misses the mark.

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 12:42 am
I'd go with Amazon gift card attached to a box of chocolates. You just really can't go wrong with that. Even if the individual doesn't like chocolate, they'll give it to someone else and will still have the gift card and you gave a nice gift. Pretty much anything else is a matter of taste. If you prefer something less generic than Amazon, maybe a local Judaica/book/gift shop.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 2:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know she works just as hard if not even harder than married teachers. That's why I want an idea of something to get her personal for her and not a dish or a vase or something that would just go to be used in her parents house

When I was single I sometimes got presents like that. If it was something neutral or that I didn't particularly like, it tended to become part of the common stock in the house. If I did like it, it got packed away, and when I got married I had a nice stock of serving dishes etc waiting for me.

Also, single does not necessarily equate to living with her parents. She may be in a situation where she can use household items herself. I would get her whatever you would get a married teacher in the same situation.

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 2:15 am
Here are items that are exclusive to married women.
bedika cloths
tichels
shaitels

I don't think any of these are appropriate gifts for a teacher, so I say anything you would buy a married teacher is fair game. I cannot see how marital status affects a gift.
Not all single women live at home. Not all married women enjoy the same gifts, the same is true for single women. Unless you know someone really well, like your mother or sister, a gift should be fairly generic, like a gift card.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 5:57 am
If she’s single the best gift you could possibly give her is a successful shidduch. Barring that, her marital status is not me’akev. Anything you’d give a married woman you can give to a single one.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 6:04 am
I liked getting household stuff when I was single. It was hurtful not to get .

Simple1

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 6:23 am
Elfrida wrote:
When I was single I sometimes got presents like that. If it was something neutral or that I didn't particularly like, it tended to become part of the common stock in the house. If I did like it, it got packed away, and when I got married I had a nice stock of serving dishes etc waiting for me.

Also, single does not necessarily equate to living with her parents. She may be in a situation where she can use household items herself. I would get her whatever you would get a married teacher in the same situation.

I guess it depends. My daughter is not a saver, and anyway many of the gifts are average quality that it's not necessarily worth saving.

Simple1

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 6:28 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I liked getting household stuff when I was single. It was hurtful not to get .

I guess it could be hurtful if it's made obvious that you're getting something different, such as a large company giving gifts to employees. But not if the gifts are given out privately which is often the case with teachers.

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 7:39 am
What does the teacher like? Does she have hobbies? Don't just get something off a list of suggestions. Show her that you know her as a person.

As a current single, someone who gets me something with a Star Trek theme or a nice bottle of Scotch is showing me a lot more thanks than someone who gets me a generic gift. Bc those are things I like and have mentioned, so ppl know I like it. Same goes for any other number of fandoms.

Think of her as a person you know and respect and want to thank.

dorothy1

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 7:29 pm
I get all of my daughters teachers a gift card to local judaica store regardless of marital status

Cheiny

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 7:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to get a present for my daugters teacher that went out of her way to help us.
Any ideas?

Why would the gift be different depending on her marital status?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics