Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
When do you charge your phone?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:03 pm
Okay, this sounds like a funny question, but I’m curious.

I need my phone to have a full charge in the morning when I leave to work, but I’m wary of leaving it charging all night. I did that with my old phone and eventually the battery was going bad. I heard it’s not good to overcharge. So now I have a new phone and I need to figure out when to charge it, without ruining it.

What do you do?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:08 pm
Phones nowadays are just built to put too much strain on their tiny batteries. There's nothing you can do about it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:09 pm
So you’re saying it doesn’t make a difference if I charge it overnight?

Einikel

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:19 pm
I charge mine at work

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 3:14 am
Why can’t you plug it in when you get home from work and unplug it when it’s full?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 3:20 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Phones nowadays are just built to put too much strain on their tiny batteries. There's nothing you can do about it.

That makes no sense. Phones today stop charging when the battery is full. You can charge over a 3 day yontiff without effecting the battery. Caveat - this may only be true for top of the line phones which we have. DH is an engineer and reads all manuals and everything technical.

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 4:42 am
https://www.androidcentral.com.....ttery

Lithium-ion batteries have no "memory bank". If you have a lithium-ion battery. You're good to leave it on the charger even over a 3 day yom tov

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 6:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay, this sounds like a funny question, but I’m curious.

I need my phone to have a full charge in the morning when I leave to work, but I’m wary of leaving it charging all night. I did that with my old phone and eventually the battery was going bad. I heard it’s not good to overcharge. So now I have a new phone and I need to figure out when to charge it, without ruining it.

What do you do?

There's a product you can set so that the charger stops charging after a certain amount of time, say 2 hours. Been meaning to buy one since I've killed the battery by charging overnight too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 7:17 am
zaq wrote:
Why can’t you plug it in when you get home from work and unplug it when it’s full?

I end up using it in the evening and the battery goes down. I want it full when I leave in the morning.

shmosmom

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 7:26 am
Had the same thing like you about a year ago, when I got my new phone Smile
New phones charge fast, just plug it in about an hour before bed, do the dishes or packing away for the day, take a shower, brush your teeth, etc and unplug it. Leave it in the kitchen or something (wherever you charge it) and get a good night's sleep.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I end up using it in the evening and the battery goes down. I want it full when I leave in the morning.

Use it plugged in. Or plug it in the minute you get up in the morning and let it charge while you go through your morning routine.

You can do this. Once upon a time, phones were mounted on a wall or tethered by a cord plugged into a wall jack. Somehow people managed to use them effectively without being able to tote them all over the house.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 9:13 am
zaq wrote:

You can do this. Once upon a time, phones were mounted on a wall or tethered by a cord plugged into a wall jack. Somehow people managed to use them effectively without being able to tote them all over the house.

Once phones were exclusively used for making phone calls, rather than as external brain and memory.

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 9:37 am
I plug my phone in overnight. When I wake up for my baby I unplug it:)

fiji

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 10:19 am
We charge our phones overnight

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 10:27 am
Elfrida wrote:
Once phones were exclusively used for making phone calls, rather than as external brain and memory.

So what? People would make phone calls to get in audible form the kind of information they now get off their screens. If OP is so very determined to have her phone fully charged when she wakes up AND she insists on using her phone all evening AND she refuses to charge overnight, then let her tether herself to the device and use it as it’s charging. Maybe that will force her to use the phone less and her brain and body more, which, if she is like most people, would be no bad thing.

Learning

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 10:46 am
I have a portable charger that is thin and has it’s own cord and goes flash under my phone.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 11:05 am
So charge it as much as you can at home and keep a spare charger at work and just plug it in there while you go about your job (unless you’re out in the field and not a desk kind of job)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 11:33 am
zaq wrote:
So what? People would make phone calls to get in audible form the kind of information they now get off their screens. If OP is so very determined to have her phone fully charged when she wakes up AND she insists on using her phone all evening AND she refuses to charge overnight, then let her tether herself to the device and use it as it’s charging. Maybe that will force her to use the phone less and her brain and body more, which, if she is like most people, would be no bad thing.

Wow, this doesn’t sound so nice.

Just looking for some practical advice. No judgment, please.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow, this doesn’t sound so nice.

Just looking for some practical advice. No judgment, please.

It’s frustrating when an OP asks for advice, gets responses and proceeds to shoot them all down with a storehouse of reasons why she “can’t “ follow any of the recommendations. It’s usually a matter of “doesn’t want to,” not “can’t”. Sorry. I tend to get sarcastic when an OP digs in her heels in that way.

Instead of saying you “can’t because”, why not say, as some do, “thanks for the ideas, keep them coming”? That gives the impression that you’re actually listening and planning to consider each suggestion, not reflexively rejecting them without even thinking.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 12:45 pm
Suggesting that OP needs to cut down on her phone usage is not relevant advice.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics