Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bus Anxiety

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 10:07 pm
My five year old daughter gives me a hard time going on the bus every morning. She tells me that no one lets her sit next to them and she hates being one of the last stops. I don't think she even asks them but just sees that all of her classmates are already on the bus and sitting with each other.It is a house stop so she gets on by herself. There is just two or three stops after us and the bus is almost full. Every morning I see her get on and she walks down a pretty full bus until the first empty seat. She has no problem going on the bus after school because she gets on together with her classmates and sits with them.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Feb 04 2020, 10:17 pm
Call the school and tell them to address this issue

oneofakind

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 5:03 pm
Call a classmate who she is friendly with and on her bus and ask the mother to ask her daughter to save her a seat in the morning.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 5:05 pm
I had this issue last year with my son. I also didnt like what time the bus got to yeshiva so I started driving him. I didnt want him starting his day off negatively.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 5:21 pm
When I was a kid, the bus was so full that there were always at least one or two kids who had to sit in the aisle, which is totally illegal but nobody cared.

Is she actually getting a place to sit? If so, then I don't understand the problem.

If the other kids are saying "No, you can't sit here because you are ugly and stinky!" then that is another issue entirely.

perquacky

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 5:44 pm
I agree with FF. I wouldn't call this an issue as long as she isn't being turned away by the kids sitting next to the empty seats.
Tell her she should appreciate being one of the last stops, because she gets to wake up a few minutes later than the kids who get on earlier stops.
And make sure she has something to keep her occupied on the ride so she doesn't have to think about where she's sitting.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 5:56 pm
perquacky wrote:
I agree with FF. I wouldn't call this an issue as long as she isn't being turned away by the kids sitting next to the empty seats.
Tell her she should appreciate being one of the last stops, because she gets to wake up a few minutes later than the kids who get on earlier stops.
And make sure she has something to keep her occupied on the ride so she doesn't have to think about where she's sitting.

Why? IMHO, it's more important that she learn how to cope with not having to be entertained constantly in order to avoid an unpleasant thought or two. This generation of kids already struggles with much shorter attention spans than previous generations, and having to think and entertain yourself with your own imagination is becoming a lost art.

When I was bored on the bus or in school, I would pretend that I was a movie star, and I was acting in a movie about a school that was very exciting. I would pretend that my story was set in a college, and I was studying super cool stuff. I was very glamorous, at least in my 5 year old mind. Wink

You'll never discover all the awesome stuff your brain can do, if you don't give it a chance.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 6:02 pm
There’s usually someone in school who takes charge of busses. I would either call that person or the teacher to see if they can help out. Or call the mother of a friend who gets on at an earlier stop to help. This year I drive my ds every single day because he is petrified of the older boys on the bus. It’s so important for them to start the day off right.

perquacky

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 7:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Why? IMHO, it's more important that she learn how to cope with not having to be entertained constantly in order to avoid an unpleasant thought or two. This generation of kids already struggles with much shorter attention spans than previous generations, and having to think and entertain yourself with your own imagination is becoming a lost art.

When I was bored on the bus or in school, I would pretend that I was a movie star, and I was acting in a movie about a school that was very exciting. I would pretend that my story was set in a college, and I was studying super cool stuff. I was very glamorous, at least in my 5 year old mind. Wink

You'll never discover all the awesome stuff your brain can do, if you don't give it a chance.

I meant a book. What could be better brain food than that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics