Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
If there were a vaccine for coronavirus - would you?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 5:14 pm
nchr wrote:
We know that asymptomatic carriers or those with mild infection with coronavirus are less likely to spread it to others..

Is that so? Source? I thought most transmission was from people who didn't know they were sick.

nchr

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 7:08 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Is that so? Source? I thought most transmission was from people who didn't know they were sick.

That is how transmission can be difficult trace, but we know that a person with symptoms gives off a larger viral load and can infect let's say 36 people whereas asymptomatic and mild infections may only be capable of infecting a fraction. The scientists have come out saying that significant transmission isn't occurring from asymptomatic and mild cases, as that is not how cornaviruses behave (think typhoid mary - not really the case with this virus). Also logistically, if a person isn't sneezing or coughing or blowing his/her nose, s/he is just not going to be giving off a lot of virus v someone with a cough who can send viral loads feet away..

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 12:35 am
I probably would not. I find that for me Vitamin C works remarkably well for most illnesses in large doses, and I'd take my chances with that + Vitamin D.

I tend to like known risks better than unknown, and a vaccine with no history falls into the latter category.

Again, though, that is assuming that the vaccine only provides individual protection. If my vaccinating could slow or prevent transmission to others (I.e. provides actual herd immunity), I would probably take it.

Good for you

My kid is not allowed to take any vitamins currently, is immunocompromised and has respiratory issues already... so Hashem should be shomer umatzil. An EMT just told me about a couple of cases in my city (NY)

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 3:02 am
nchr wrote:
That is how transmission can be difficult trace, but we know that a person with symptoms gives off a larger viral load and can infect let's say 36 people whereas asymptomatic and mild infections may only be capable of infecting a fraction. The scientists have come out saying that significant transmission isn't occurring from asymptomatic and mild cases, as that is not how cornaviruses behave (think typhoid mary - not really the case with this virus). Also logistically, if a person isn't sneezing or coughing or blowing his/her nose, s/he is just not going to be giving off a lot of virus v someone with a cough who can send viral loads feet away..

Is that not counterbalanced by the fact that more people would think they are healthy because of their mild case, and spread it more readily instead of staying home? Similar to the problem with pertussis?

I thought they were saying that transmission occurs from sustained close contact, within a certain amount of feet. That's simply less likely if sick people know that they are sick.

Again, if the vaccine does provide herd immunity that is more of a reason to take it, but many vaccines just don't work that way.

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:19 am
Is that not counterbalanced by the fact that more people would think they are healthy because of their mild case, and spread it more readily instead of staying home? Similar to the problem with pertussis?

I thought they were saying that transmission occurs from sustained close contact, within a certain amount of feet. That's simply less likely if sick people know that they are sick.

Again, if the vaccine does provide herd immunity that is more of a reason to take it, but many vaccines just don't work that way.

They clearly said that asymptomatic individuals, as well as those with mild cases are not a significant contributor to the outbreak.

Also, keep in mind that our vaccines have been changed as the threat from the virus has decrease. So the pertussis vaccine provided sustained herd immunity before we changed it to be more tolerable, and that was the case with OPV when we needed it. If there was polio in the US right now, you can bet we'd switch back to the OPV, at least for one dose, as they did in Israel because the side effects we would want to avoid do not justify allowing healthy carriers when there is an outbreak. Also keep in mind that the live, attenuated ones, do not have healthy carriers (measles, mumps, chicken pox, etc.) There are viruses we natural have in our throats and noses and that would be more difficult to essentially get someone to stop carrying, but that doesn't mean there is no concept of herd immunity because herd immunity (while some people want to pretend is not a big deal) is very very real.

In addition, this new vaccine is most likely going to an RNA directed vaccine, which would be new for us, so we'll see how it behaves.

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:22 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Good for you

My kid is not allowed to take any vitamins currently, is immunocompromised and has respiratory issues already... so Hashem should be shomer umatzil. An EMT just told me about a couple of cases in my city (NY)

While I'm sure NY will have (or already has undetected) cases, there is currently no community spread in NY. Some people who returned from China or the Cruise ship are self quarantined and not a threat to the general public. The most recent tests in NY have come back negative. Not sure why an EMT would say that unless he was confused or talking about the future.

Also, may your son have a complete Refuah Shalaima and IYH you and your family won't be affected by this virus or any virus.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 5:03 am
nchr wrote:
While I'm sure NY will have (or already has undetected) cases, there is currently no community spread in NY. Some people who returned from China or the Cruise ship are self quarantined and not a threat to the general public. The most recent tests in NY have come back negative. Not sure why an EMT would say that unless he was confused or talking about the future.

Also, may your son have a complete Refuah Shalaima and IYH you and your family won't be affected by this virus or any virus.

He named 2 hospitals that have confirmed cases

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 5:10 am
He named 2 hospitals that have confirmed cases

As in individuals from the cruise ship? Because those individuals are not a threat to the general public. NY has no community cases (although they likely will or already have undetected). Or maybe he meant awaiting testing? Because the tests came back negative this morning.... or maybe he was confused.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:44 am
I live in Milan and I'd take the vaccine if it was available!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:50 am
nchr wrote:
As in individuals from the cruise ship? Because those individuals are not a threat to the general public. NY has no community cases (although they likely will or already have undetected). Or maybe he meant awaiting testing? Because the tests came back negative this morning.... or maybe he was confused.

I didn’t ask where those cases were from originally. He just mentioned that Bellevue and another ny hospital had new corona

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:42 am
I didn’t ask where those cases were from originally. He just mentioned that Bellevue and another ny hospital had new corona

Ok because according to the CDC NY has no coronavirus infections. It may be individuals who were transferred or from the cruise ships. https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru......html

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 11:10 pm
nchr wrote:
They clearly said that asymptomatic individuals, as well as those with mild cases are not a significant contributor to the outbreak.

If that would be the case, then why is there such an uproar about the long incubation period, during which time individuals are contagious?

The emphasis on that demographic demonstrates that asymptomatic and mild cases ARE a primary concern as regards transmission.

This is also why the original methods (screening for fever and symptoms) failed to curtail the outbreak, and the reason for the mandatory 14-day self-quarantine for travelers from various countries.

A vaccine which merely increases the number of asymptomatic carriers would not seem very useful for preventing further spread of coronavirus to the most vulnerable population. It may, however, be useful for higher risk individuals, in reducing their chance of having a severe form of the illness.

Again, I don't know if I would take the hypothetical vaccine, but the above is why I would be hesitant to do so, being that I AM in a low-risk demographic, and would therefore be taking it primarily to protect others - which may or may not be possible, depending on the way the vaccine works.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 7:40 pm
The vaccine isn't all new. It's based on previous research on other coronaviruses.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 8:05 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
The vaccine isn't all new. It's based on previous research on other coronaviruses.

New meaning untested for long-term effects.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics