Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tooth smells

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 9:56 pm
My ds going around with a broken tooth . Took time till we got an appointment. The appointment is being next week . His tooth is leaving a bad smell . I feel bad for him if his classmates sense it. My ds didnt mention anything but I feel the smell . Is there anything I can do in the mean time to prevent the smell?? And is it normal that a broken tooth should smell? Its on the the upper front .

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:01 pm
If the smell is from infection then it’s an emergency to get him seen asap.
Call to ask for an emergency appointment tomorrow morning.
How long ago did the tooth break?
Can you see an opening inside the tooth (the pulp chamber) or is the broken edge smooth and flat?

If it’s smooth and flat I would be less worried but an open tooth I would be very scared if it has a smell.
An infection would be an emergency.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:03 pm
The bad smell is from decay. Of course it makes sense... You can call your dentist to see if they have any cancellations before your appt. I constantly call my dentist to check for cancellations & usually they have.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:04 pm
I would find a dentist who can deal with it sooner. You're probably smelling the decay/ bacterial growth and it can spread quickly if not treated.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:04 pm
Its a front tooth so cant have an opening, it does not seem like an infection and he isnt in pain bh but the smell is unpleasant.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its a front tooth so cant have an opening, it does not seem like an infection and he isnt in pain bh but the smell is unpleasant.

Maybe it's bad breath and not from the tooth.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:07 pm
His tooth broke a while ago and I did schedule appointment, they were booked untill next week but now I feel that I really neglected this. I dont know myself why I hadnt make sure to see a dentist sooner . Its bad smell.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:08 pm
I think its rather coming from the tooth then bad breath. The smell I started sensing recently.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:09 pm
Might be an abscess in the gums that you might not have noticed

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:18 pm
As others have posted, it is probably decay that you are smelling. In any event, it is not a good sign.

I don't understand the difficulty in getting dental appointments. When I have had some kind of dental emergency - broken tooth or filling falling out or ache, the dentist squeezes me in the same day. The question the receptionist always asks when I call for a specific issue (e.g. not a six month cleaning) is whether I am in pain.

My dentist has even offered to come in on days off if there is an emergency.

sarahmalka

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
His tooth broke a while ago and I did schedule appointment, they were booked untill next week but now I feel that I really neglected this. I dont know myself why I hadnt make sure to see a dentist sooner . Its bad smell.

Aw don't beat yourself up! You'll take care of it quickly now that you know it's more acute. Good luck

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 11:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Just letting you know that front teeth have pulp chambers too. If it’s broken high enough the chamber and the root will be exposed.
Trust me I’ve been through it.

If you don’t see an opening you are very lucky. Also how old is your child?
Is the tooth an adult tooth? Has it finished growing yet?
There could also be cracks in the tooth that allowed infection to get inside the root.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:05 am
Call the dentist he has an appointment with and tell him it's an emergency since there's a smell coming from the tooth area and might be an infection.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics