Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Makeup needs help- artist or mall counter?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:18 pm
Hi guys- need some help. My makeup and technique need some serious updating. I feel like I'm not an ugly girl, but I don't know how to put myself together well.

I need help with figuring and choosing products and colors that would look good on my face. I reached out to a couple of makeup artists, and their prices for an hour or two are really high- close to two and three hundred dollars. I'm wondering if I'll get the same guidance and benefits from going to a makeup counter at the mall and watching some youtube videos online to learn some techniques.

Appreciate any advice.

Also, clothing and how to look put together tips would be helpful. Thanks

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:22 pm
Go to the mall, tell the woman at the counter what you are looking for and ask if she can help. It will not be the same as having a person come to the house and teach you, but depending on your budget, working with her, along with YouTube videos, will definitely provide you with some guidance.
She does work on Commission I believe. If she does help you and spend time with you, please make sure you buy some thing or two from her. You don't need to buy 85 items, but don't make her feel like she was being used as that would be a chillul Hashem.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Go to the mall, tell the woman at the counter what you are looking for and ask if she can help. It will not be the same as having a person come to the house and teach you, but depending on your budget, working with her, along with YouTube videos, will definitely provide you with some guidance.
She does work on Commission I believe. If she does help you and spend time with you, please make sure you buy some thing or two from her. You don't need to buy 85 items, but don't make her feel like she was being used as that would be a chillul Hashem.

Thank you for the advice. I will keep that in mind.

mlc

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:36 pm
Mall counter for sure.

It does depend on what mall and what brand counter u go to also.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:38 pm
mlc wrote:
Mall counter for sure.

It does depend on what mall and what brand counter u go to also.

why do you say that and what brand counter would you recommend?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:44 pm
I would suggest googling your local Sephora and read the reviews online. If they are good, go there and tell the girl at the counter that you are interested in her help picking colors that compliment your skin tone in the makeup products you would like to purchase. Watch YouTube videos before to get an idea what products you want to invest in for a daily look (for example, you can watch a video on "10 minute makeup routine " or something like that). You can watch tons of videos for technique as well!

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:44 pm
You can also go to Ulta. Call your local store--they have different makeup companies with counters, ie Mac and maybe Revlon, with their own artists. You can likely get a free makeover with a minimum purchase, so overall less expensive than a mall. You will need an appointment.

mlc

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
why do you say that and what brand counter would you recommend?

Certain brands counters will have less trained staff.

Also, different brands are trained to focus on different ranges of aesthetic.

Also, at certain mall stores generally ones that are not doing well, they might have staff that is not trained at all for certain brands that in other malls would be excellent.

What look are you going for? I would make recommendations based off that.

mlc

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:47 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I would suggest googling your local Sephora and read the reviews online. If they are good, go there and tell the girl at the counter that you are interested in her help picking colors that compliment your skin tone in the makeup products you would like to purchase. Watch YouTube videos before to get an idea what products you want to invest in for a daily look (for example, you can watch a video on "10 minute makeup routine " or something like that). You can watch tons of videos for technique as well!

Sephora is hit or miss. I’ve had my best makeover there. I was thrilled and I went back for a simcha and I had to take it all off when I got home, it was that bad.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 1:48 pm
mlc wrote:
Certain brands counters will have less trained staff.

Also, different brands are trained to focus on different ranges of aesthetic.

Also, at certain mall stores generally ones that are not doing well, they might have staff that is not trained at all for certain brands that in other malls would be excellent.

What look are you going for? I would make recommendations based off that.

I was saying why do you say definitely makeup counter over artist?

I'm going for pretty classic clean glowy- like madeup but not crazy makeup. I want to look put together and pretty. Maybe some contouring to hide and accentuate certain features. I would however also like to learn some wedding or going out looks.

mlc

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was saying why do you say definitely makeup counter over artist?

I'm going for pretty classic clean glowy- like madeup but not crazy makeup. I want to look put together and pretty. Maybe some contouring to hide and accentuate certain features. I would however also like to learn some wedding or going out looks.

Oh , sorry!

I find that makeup counters more often have more variety than someone private. Also, IME the private will push products for financial reasons versus recommendation (If they make money off one brand or product than another)
Certain brands like Mary Kay I would stay away from in general.

Also, this is not a general rule as some private makeup artists are really excellent but with the mall brands there is a guarantee continued training for up to date looks and technique. I know several people that have been burnt in this regard.

For the look you are going for I would definitely say Bobbi Brown is exactly that and their quality is excellent. Hands down.
But you can possibly also do well with Charlotte Tillbury, Laura Mercier, or if you want to splurge then Dior.

just me!!

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:05 pm
Delete

Last edited by just me!! on Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

West End Tova

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:08 pm
mlc wrote:

For the look you are going for I would definitely say Bobbi Brown is exactly that and their quality is excellent. Hands down.

This - and they're on Youtube. Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/user/bobbibrown

mlc

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:08 pm
just me!! wrote:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this here;

helllooooo YOUTUBE!

Better than artist and mall together!
I learned most of my makeup techniques online and am a pro at it!
At every wedding ppl ask me where I had my makeup done or whether I learned proffesional makeup!

good luck!

Yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!

If you don’t want an actual live person giving customized advice, you can learn a lot on youtube.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:55 pm
just me!! wrote:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this here;

helllooooo YOUTUBE!

Better than artist and mall together!
I learned most of my makeup techniques online and am a pro at it!
At every wedding ppl ask me where I had my makeup done or whether I learned proffesional makeup!

good luck!

how do you know what products to buy based off of youtube- like what would look best with your hair/eye color and skin tone? I go to walgreens and get super overwhelmed- like so much makeup and no idea what to buy. The few times I did try my luck, it was a waste of money because the product ended up not being great or not looking good. How do you know what products are worth your money?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 3:00 pm
Certain brands like MAC or Bobbi Brown have trained makeup artists working at the counters instead of just saleswomen.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:10 pm
mlc wrote:
Oh , sorry!

I find that makeup counters more often have more variety than someone private. Also, IME the private will push products for financial reasons versus recommendation (If they make money off one brand or product than another)
Certain brands like Mary Kay I would stay away from in general.

Also, this is not a general rule as some private makeup artists are really excellent but with the mall brands there is a guarantee continued training for up to date looks and technique. I know several people that have been burnt in this regard.

But you can possibly also do well with Charlotte Tillbury, Laura Mercier, or if you want to splurge then Dior.

thank you!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi guys- need some help. My makeup and technique need some serious updating. I feel like I'm not an ugly girl, but I don't know how to put myself together well.

I need help with figuring and choosing products and colors that would look good on my face. I reached out to a couple of makeup artists, and their prices for an hour or two are really high- close to two and three hundred dollars. I'm wondering if I'll get the same guidance and benefits from going to a makeup counter at the mall and watching some youtube videos online to learn some techniques.

Appreciate any advice.

Also, clothing and how to look put together tips would be helpful. Thanks

Make an appointment at Sephora. It needs to be made in advance but there's no extra charge. And you get access to all makeup brands, not just the one brand of the makeup counter you'd go to in say Saks or Macy's.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:29 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Make an appointment at Sephora. It needs to be made in advance but there's no extra charge. And you get access to all makeup brands, not just the one brand of the makeup counter you'd go to in say Saks or Macy's.

Another option for someone who wants a variety of brands is to make an appointment at Nordstrom. Most locations will have an option for a beauty stylist.

Btw, if you read or watched any YouTubes on how to get a job at Sephora, you might nor tryst just any of their ‘cast members’. ....

sleepybeauty

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
how do you know what products to buy based off of youtube- like what would look best with your hair/eye color and skin tone? I go to walgreens and get super overwhelmed- like so much makeup and no idea what to buy. The few times I did try my luck, it was a waste of money because the product ended up not being great or not looking good. How do you know what products are worth your money?

I go in to Ulta or Sephora to get my foundation and concealer matched. As far as learning techniques, I’ve learned way more on YouTube than from all the times I’ve had my makeup done professionally-by makeup artists and at MAC. If you’re looking to try out new brands, you can sign up for a makeup subscription box- like Boxycharm or Ipsy. I’ve found some of my favorite products this way. I’m slightly makeup obsessed so I will research products on several beauty sites before I buy, but most brands have generous return policies.

If you’re looking for specific items, I’m happy to tell you my favorite brands for them (they are mainly prestige brands but I find a huge difference in quality so it’s worth it for me).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics