Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Does it gross you out?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 10:29 pm
When you see poeple stick their bare hands into a basket of rolls instead of using the cellophane paper that’s provided? What grosses you out about other people’s lack of manners or bad behavior in public?

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 10:38 pm
Yes. Absolutely gross.

This is not about manners, but about hygiene- when a relative or anyone holds my baby and gives baby their finger to suck on. (Not baby’s finger!)
Makes me want to explode.

agreer

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 10:43 pm
Nope
Especially if they just touch the one roll they are taking.

I get grossed out when people use their own utensils to take food from a serving dish.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 10:57 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Yes. Absolutely gross.

This is not about manners, but about hygiene- when a relative or anyone holds my baby and gives baby their finger to suck on. (Not baby’s finger!)
Makes me want to explode.

Yuck!! That's gross.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 11:01 pm
Seminary aged girls wearing 1000$ designer outfits, Ferragamo shoes all glammed up, sitting at the Shabbis table eating with their hands... Can't Believe It

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 11:02 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Seminary aged girls wearing 1000$ designer outfits, Ferragamo shoes all glammed up, sitting at the Shabbis table eating with their hands... Can't Believe It

What do you mean eating with their hands? Like fish and meat???

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 11:03 pm

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 11:16 pm
I get very upset when guests take or let their little kids take from a platter with hands and put back and choose something else -- often repeatedly. Like mother hands the kid a choc chip cookie and the kid takes it from her but then looks at the platter and says, "no, I want that one!" Mother takes back cookie one and returns it to the cookie platter and gives child a 2nd cookie. "No, not that one! That one!" Another exchange takes place. By the time this is done the mother and the kid have both handled 50% of the cookies. YUCK!

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 11:40 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
What do you mean eating with their hands? Like fish and meat???

Like pulling lukshe out of soup with their fingers...

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 11:43 pm
Good thing you don't know what goes on in commercial kitchens! Otherwise you'd be living on iv!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 11:45 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Like pulling lukshe out of soup with their fingers...

Seriously?? Eeewww! Manners please!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 12:36 am
My MIL lives close by and usually joins us for at least one meal every other Shabbas. She always sticks her own fork in the serving dish even though there is ALWAYS a serving utensil in everything I serve. It grosses me out so much!!!

She literally pushes away the serving fork and sticks her own fork in.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 6:17 am
My dad will stick his piece of challa into dips and salads which is there for everyone to enjoy. You can imagine what happens, no one is willing to touch it so he gets to enjoy it all! Which may have been his intention to begin with...We love him either way but most of us kids are super hygienic so puts us off...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 7:06 am
I made a rule for myself and kids realized it too and do it as well, when going to my in-laws for shabbos or even during the week, I don't eat or drink from open containers. If it's a brand new container or bottle I opened, I will take as much as I need before it gets contaminated from people sticking their own spoons or forks in it.
Same goes for towels hanging in the kitchen: do not touch
I will use paper towels only or napkins. A certain family member living there, thinks that washing their face when washing their hands suffices for a shower and will use the towel to blow their nose as well and then proceed to hang said towel back up. I didn't know that when I first got married, but I know that very well now.
When said person comes to me for yomtov... Kitchen towels get changed every time said person washes their hands. Ugh, I'm getting disgusted already thinking about upcoming yomtov Puke

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 7:08 am
Just wanted to say I noticed my color is aquamarine, my birth month stone! So cute and random

Ok back to topic

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 8:25 am
My in laws have this thing that they bring the pots and pans to the table and MIL serves everyone. Which would be ok except she licks her fingers VERY often if food gets on them. I can’t handle it. So now my husband asks for us to serve ourselves. Also they used to bring dips to the table without utensils. Everyone would dip their challah into it. Disgusting. Now I make sure there are spoons and I voice my opinions. “There’s a spoon there, use it.” Could be I’m rude but I can’t eat in their house otherwise.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 8:36 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
My dad will stick his piece of challa into dips and salads which is there for everyone to enjoy. You can imagine what happens, no one is willing to touch it so he gets to enjoy it all! Which may have been his intention to begin with...We love him either way but most of us kids are super hygienic so puts us off...

When we have guest, I prepare the dips in individual little plates. It's an easy fix to the problem.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 8:37 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
My MIL lives close by and usually joins us for at least one meal every other Shabbas. She always sticks her own fork in the serving dish even though there is ALWAYS a serving utensil in everything I serve. It grosses me out so much!!!

She literally pushes away the serving fork and sticks her own fork in.

Maybe when she comes, serve individual portions.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 9:14 am
This thread is really triggering my gag reflex.

A previous Amother mentioned open containers at the ILs. Yeah, I don't eat anything from their fridge. I barely eat there at all. Only piping hot food from the oven. The containers in their fridge are all contaminated. Butter and margarine tubs full of crumbs that may or may not be growing green stuff on it already. The peanut butter has jelly in it, the jelly has peanutbutter in it, the mayo has what looks like crumbs of meat inside.... everything is just gross! And I've seen FIL scoop himself out ice cream licking the spoon between scoops. Then he offers me. Um, NO!

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 9:16 am
My grandfather drinks straight out of the bottle. We only drink tap water in their home.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette