Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Did you put in a new kitchen? Bathroom?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 4:02 am
How old is your home? Did you redo your kitchen and/ or bathroom/s because they were falling apart? How did you afford it?Thanx!

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 4:44 am
I did my kitchen from ikea and saved a lot of money. It's still expensive, and bH, I am very grateful we could afford it.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 5:02 am
We did kitchen and bathrooms when we bought our home. It's old and the kitchen and bathrooms were in terrible shape. Not just old looking, really not functional. We were able to to buy a pretty well priced home because of that, and we budgeted a certain amount to renovate. We kept costs low by shopping around a LOT and putting together our own team.

saralem

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 6:00 am
Yes. We did an IKEA kitchen which I totally love. Took a home equity line of credit. I lived with the old kitchen which was awful for a long time. Taking more debt is bad but I’m so happy we did it.

ny21

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 6:03 am
our home is over forty years old we need a new kitchen

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 6:03 am
Granite from a granite yard ($5/sf!), appliances on Black Friday sale. Still racked up a lot of cc debt but BH getting close to paying it all off a year later.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 7:31 am
I recently finished a remodel of my entire condo. I had done some minor cosmetic fixes but essentially the kitchen and bathrooms were the original from 1965.

They were ugly and not as functional as they might have been. Some parts of the home were non-functional and others were not. In my building some people work with the existing cabinets - e.g. paint and add new doors and others gut the kitchens and bathrooms.

I just to gut everything because I wanted more aesthetic and functional rooms. For example, my master bathroom had the original tub/shower combination with the acrylic "wall". I wanted a walk in shower because I want to age in place and a walk in shower is easier to get in and out of. I wanted a tile shower because it is more beautiful than plastic :-).

My kitchen layout is similarly more functional because I changed the layout. I have all lower drawers for example but it is also much more beautiful as I opted for finishes I selected - e.g. large copper farmhouse sink for example.

I paid for everything from savings. I had been thinking about a more limited remodel at one time which I would probably have funded from a HELOC but I am glad I waited a bit.

Not sure the point of your question because it's such an individual decision that is driven by a combination of needs and financial ability. If you want to present your situation, people can probably give you advice on whether you should spend money to remodel and how to achieve what you want within your current budget.

FWIW, it NEVER makes sense to remodel because you think it is going to be a return on your investment. Unless you have significant DIY skills and are doing most of the labor yourself, the costs for a new kitchen or bathroom are more than you will get when you resell. Remodel because you want to enjoy the new kitchen and/or baths while you are living in them and can afford to make the changes. The industry wants to make you think that remodeling is an investment but it isn't - of course there are exceptions but in general you won't get back even 100% of what you spent let alone a profit.

As the old sayings go - remodeling will cost twice as much as you think and take twice as long - in my case I think it took four times as much and as long :-).

Ruchel

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 12:09 pm
How do people afford anything
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics