Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Addiction in My ADHD Child

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 1:12 pm
My daughter has very severe ADHD and learning disabilities. We have noticed over time that she seems to have very strong compulsions to electronics - specifically watching tv or movies, and food. She has recently started therapy for some other issues that present with the ADHD. But we are realizing that we can't give her regular consequences for when she watches or eats what/when she isn't allowed, the way we do with our other children. She truly seems to not be able to help herself.
What can we do to try and help her, especially as it seems to get worse as she gets older.

(As an aside, I've read that sometimes people with ADHD are more prone to addictions).

TIA.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 1:14 pm
ITA that they are prone to addictions. You need to watch illicit drugs because they have the opposite effect. Don't want to say too much. But you are on the right tract.

mha3484

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 1:15 pm
I have a very anxious child that would watch videos all day if I let him. I think its a way for him to distract himself from his feelings. If she is in therapy this is an excellent thing for them to work on. Screens are usually a coping mechanism for a kid that is having a hard time in life.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 4:22 pm
My kiddo is the exact same way. She is in a regular therapy program now, and learning tools to help her regulate her emotions without needing to run to electronics. Screen time is definitely a way of escaping reality, every bit as much as alcohol is. She readily admits that she is addicted.

It's easy to say that you don't allow electronics in the first place, but every year it gets harder and harder to enforce that. It's a tough call, and there are no easy answers.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 7:58 pm
ADHD is definitely more prone to addiction in general, and yes, screen activities can be very calming for them, so it's easy to get sucked in. If the ADHD is being treated well, it's easier to keep things under control.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 8:24 pm
It's a neurotransmitter thing. Their brains are understimulated, crave stimulation and electronics give them that fix. To truly fix this you need to address the imbalances at the root. The book finally focused by Dr. James Greenblatt is a great place to start, it addresses very clearly the biological root causes of adhd and how to remedy them, such as mineral imbalances especially magnesium deficiency, b vitamins and methylation, diet and gut health, supplements that support neurotransmitter production and so on. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)