Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How does your baby sleep??
1  2  Next

How does your baby sleep?
on his back  
 47%  [ 75 ]
on his tummy  
 43%  [ 68 ]
other  
 8%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 157

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 4:42 pm
im interested to know if a lot of people let their baby sleep on their tummy.
I would always never dare to put my kids on their tummy, was always too nervous.
but with my last, he was just not sleeping well, and a lot of ppl recommended me to and bh he sleeps a lot better.
yes, the first couple of weeks I sent a personal prayer up to G-D every night to please watch over him I dont want to see I dont want to see

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 6:26 pm
My kids slept on their stomachs but I bought a sensor which I used for both up until about 6 months old, which went on their foot like a sock and monitored their heart rate and breathing.

It's called an Owlet Smart Sock.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 6:34 pm
I am just going through this, at the moment my 5 week old is on his side, I am too scared to put him on his stomach. If he is very unsettled during the day I do and he sleeps much better.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 6:50 pm
I always put my baby on his back. Once he turned to roll over he likes sleeping on his tummy better

Rachel Shira

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 7:07 pm
Back only.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 7:26 pm
I accidentally hit tummy. Wanted to click other.

Back only as a young infant. At about sux months, tummy.
By then, my baby is rolling both directions. Six and half months, up and rocking, seven months crawling.

MiriFr

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 8:16 pm
He doesn't LOL

(Seriously, though, someone help me)

teachkids

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 8:23 pm
Back until she started rolling over at 4 months. Then she put herself on her tummy and will only sleep like that.

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 8:24 pm
I am sharing my story LeTo’eles Harabim.

My two first children slept on their stomachs. That was the commonly accepted practice in the U.S. at that time, and in any case, both were colicky and were much more comfortable that way. Fast forward to my third child. By that time, studies had come out, which showed that the incidences of dying of SIDS were significantly increased among babies who slept on their stomachs. My third child was also very colicky, and was very uncomfortable when lying on his back. Aware of the new research, I asked my pediatrician about letting this child sleep on his stomach, due to the discomfort experienced when on his back. My pediatrician, gave me the “green light,” to place him on his back (which had been fine for my first two). Well this child died of SIDS, while in his crib - on his stomach (and to this day, my pediatrician is a very vocal opponent of “tummy sleeping”). Although devastated, I feel no guilt, because I followed the medical advice I was given - but imagine if I hadn’t!!!!!

B”H most children survive infancy- even while sleeping on their stomachs. My first two did. But since you have no way of knowing if this child is the one who would not - do you want the responsibility (and guilt) of having ignored medical advice and Chas v’shalom contributed to a tragedy, which could possibly have been avoided???

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 8:48 pm
Mine sleep on their stomach once they're about a month old and have enough head control to lift and turn their heads in that position. My pediatrician knows and is fine with it. At that age my babies simply don't sleep if they're on their backs.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 9:18 pm
In general the absolute risk of tummy vs back is very small, kind of similar to the level of risk between walking vs driving to the doctor's office.

However, if a baby is USED TO sleeping on their back, sleeping on their stomach is much more dangerous.

I often put my newborns on their stomach to sleep, but then again my newborns tend to have pretty impressive neck strength. One of my babies was picking up his head an inch or so at a few days old. I also co-sleep, which makes me feel more comfortable that I am right there.

If you are uncomfortable with stomach sleeping, I've seen that swaddles (like the Miracle Blanket or the other velcro swaddlers) can get an otherwise unwilling back sleeper to cooperate.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 9:34 pm
The only place my baby sleeps is in the car seat, otherwise he doesn't sleep, he just screams.
One baby slept on her tummy and the rest on back. By 6 months I give a pillow.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 10:41 pm
I voted on his tummy, but really that was only once he was able to roll over from tummy to back (at around 2 months- yes I know thats early)

When he was real newborn he was on his back in a swaddle so he wouldn't accidently wake himself up

Then it was tummy during the day -when I could keep an eye on him and back with swaddle at night

lucky14

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 10:46 pm
Did you try swaddling?

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Feb 08 2020, 10:46 pm
Cosleep so my babies tend to sleep on their side since that's how I nurse them.
When transferred to crib its tummy

Odelyah

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:11 am
my babies all slept with me so they would start off on their side, and end up on their back

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:24 am
Back only until they can roll.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 3:08 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
My kids slept on their stomachs but I bought a sensor which I used for both up until about 6 months old, which went on their foot like a sock and monitored their heart rate and breathing.

It's called an Owlet Smart Sock.

wow looks like a lot of people do put them on their tummy.
also I never knew if it amkes a difference that they move their heads.
when does the risk of SIDS go down? or is there no such thing?
thanks for all your responses.

thats interesting to hear. can you tell me more about this?
when does it alert you?
id be worried it would wake me for any little irregularity...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 3:10 pm
o gosh!
just looked it up, costs a fortune..

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 3:17 pm
my baby sleeps on the side and I sleep right next to him. He was born too early and for the first two months he always slept on his back, I was too afraid. He has developed a flat back head, which is b"h becoming better now since he sleeps on his side.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics