Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Can I cook for pesach using a toaster/convection oven?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 2:28 pm
I’m wondering if anyone has tried baking in a large electric/toaster/convection oven for pesach? My kitchen is not available to cook in until about a week before pesach but if I had an extra oven I might be able to get started early. One thought I have is that once I start cooking in my regular kitchen, I can usually have a few things baking at the same time while with an electric oven it would probably be a lot slower.. one pan at a time...
I would love to use my tiny laundry room ...it has a sink and I can use electric burners with an electric oven.. but something tells me that whole process of cooking in bulk with a tiny oven might make things take very, very long.
Opinions?

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 2:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m wondering if anyone has tried baking in a large electric/toaster/convection oven for pesach? My kitchen is not available to cook in until about a week before pesach but if I had an extra oven I might be able to get started early. One thought I have is that once I start cooking in my regular kitchen, I can usually have a few things baking at the same time while with an electric oven it would probably be a lot slower.. one pan at a time...
I would love to use my tiny laundry room ...it has a sink and I can use electric burners with an electric oven.. but something tells me that whole process of cooking in bulk with a tiny oven might make things take very, very long.
Opinions?

You can. My convection oven holds 2 9x13’s at the same time (on different racks, on top of each other.) It’s exactly like cooking in a regular oven and on the convection setting it’s even faster.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 2:35 pm
That's what I did in seminary!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 2:39 pm
I've always used a Pesach toaster oven, and never had any problems. I'm not big on making a lot of fancy baked goods, though. I also get by with a two burner portable stove top. I've never had a Pesach kitchen, so I clean and cover everything, and tape all the cabinets shut.

amother
Blue

I hope I'm not derailing this thread...
Can you recommend a toaster/convection oven that is excellent for baking cake, not for Pesach?

Elfrida

I've done it for years. It might be a little slower, but if you're still cleaning the regular kitchen, you'll have plenty to keep you busy!

You seem to be thinking of using it to get a jump start in the cooking rather than using it for all your cooking, so do whatever you can and treat it as a bonus.

Just make sure the freezer is ready to receive your early Pesach cooking.

jflower

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 2:54 pm
Absolutely! Buy a convection oven that holds two baking pans. I have a small family but managed to do all my pesach cooking in this type of oven when I was in a small apartment and didn't have a kasherable oven.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 3:00 pm
I much prefer to do my non perishable shopping early. It's hard work so I do it in stages. Then I have my freezer ready and buy all poultry, meats, fish and season and prepare for the freezer, so cooking is simpler the week before pesach once my kitchen is ready. I also start measuring out dry ingredients for cakes and cookies and write on the Ziploc what still needs to be added. I can do this in the laundry room and just need my measuring equipment available - which can be washed there too (or buy dollar store measuring equipment and just dispose).

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 3:48 pm
I haven't had to do this for a long time but way back when I had a large countertop toaster/convection oven that was large enough to roast a whole turkey in. They are bigger than people realize. And I didn't find it slow. I found it very efficient.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 4:45 pm
I baked in a convection toaster oven at my in laws. That’s all they have in terms of an oven for Pesach. I was able to make kugels and cakes and it worked out just fine. But only 2 9x13 pans fit at once.

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 7:15 pm
It works, but it’s slow and I found that with 2 pans in at once, one of them didn’t always cook right.

saralem

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 8:39 pm
I found it works best to rotate the pans half way through. The top one cooks faster. It’s doable, for sure. Btw, I just saw this type of oven on sale at Aldi, if you live near one.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:07 pm
Why do you need to be cooking more than a week before pesach?

Jeanette

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:36 pm
I used to have only a convection oven for pesach. It's fine for a small family but with a larger family the oven is going all day and there's no time for everything to cook. Kugel is my mainstay for lunches, snacks etc so I always have fresh kugel ready, and its hard to do with just one small oven.

Frumme

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:08 pm
Very doable but like others have said above, you need to babysit the pans a little of you have a two tier one (switch top to bottom and vice versa and rotate pans).

Otherwise they're great. Easy to bake potatoes, roast veggies, bake gefilte fish, etc.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:13 pm
My MIL cooks her entire Pesach in her laundry room using an oven like that.
If you plan on doing it, I would definetely spend a little more to make sure you're getting better quality

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:20 pm
Jeanette wrote:
I used to have only a convection oven for pesach. It's fine for a small family but with a larger family the oven is going all day and there's no time for everything to cook. Kugel is my mainstay for lunches, snacks etc so I always have fresh kugel ready, and its hard to do with just one small oven.

That’s what I’m thinking.. it’s just going to take too long and become a hassle instead of being a help.
It sounds fine for preparing food for 1-2 people but I’ll be cooking for about 10 people. No, I’m not doing anything fancy at all but I’ll need lots of kugels, cakes, soup, meat, chicken, schnitzel etc.
I really appreciate all the feedback.
BH I do have a decent size kitchen with self clean ovens so after reading the pros and cons I think I’ve decided to just try to get my kitchen done a little earlier.
To the person who asked why I need to make my kitchen pesachdig a week before... well, I guess I just work slowly. I don’t have any kitchen help and it’s just a lot for one person to do alone. I’m sure some people can handle it but I find all the pesach cooking overwhelming after all the cleaning, shopping, dealing with my kids and getting bedroom ready for guests too. I was thinking of a way to make things easier by starting my cooking early but at this point I think turning my small laundry room into a makeshift pesach kitchen and getting my regular kitchen turned over at the same time might end up being a bit too much for me.

forgetit

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s what I’m thinking.. it’s just going to take too long and become a hassle instead of being a help.
It sounds fine for preparing food for 1-2 people but I’ll be cooking for about 10 people. No, I’m not doing anything fancy at all but I’ll need lots of kugels, cakes, soup, meat, chicken, schnitzel etc.
I really appreciate all the feedback.

If you have an alternative, that's great. I don't think its worth setting up two kitchen. But I do want to point out that my mother successfully uses a convection oven for a really LARGE crowd. She doesn't have another oven, so this is a great solution.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:36 pm
I posted that my MIL makes Pesach this way - she is cooking for between 15-25 people each year and has been doing this for about 10 years.
She starts about a month before and does one oven item each day. So usually two shifts of two 9x13 pans.
It's definitely hard and has to be very planned out, but it is doable

nanny24/7

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 12:15 am
I have had a much better experience with an large (22-quart) electric roaster. The heat emenates from the bottom and all sides similar to a deep crock pot. I bought a flat metal board for underneath it (like a blech without the extra piece that can cover stove knobs), since the appliance of it including the bottom gets really really hot when in use and I was nervous to have it sitting directly on my counter. You can either put baking pans in it, or place food directly in it. I have found the taste and cooking speed and success to be much better with putting the food directly inside it. For kugels I lined with parchment paper first although I did have to watch it as sometimes corners of parchment paper became darkened.
Everything I tried "baking" in it came out scrumptious, and I suspect the fact that I baked directly on the real metal instead of on disposable aluminum pans, plus the fact that the heat is incredibly evenly distributed throughout the entire roaster contributed to the amazing results.
I purchased the largest size, which was well worth the extra few dollars so I can save time and bake in bulk.
I was worried about using it around little kids but it really hasn't been an issue. The outside will be hot to touch when in use, although not dangerously so, and the cover is large and heavy enough that it would be unlikely for a young child to open it and stick hands in like they more easily could with a toaster oven so I actually think it's safer that way.
I see Kohl's now has this item on sale but I bought it for a similar price at a local Jewish hardware store at the time.

https://www.kohls.com/product/.....rc=ds
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics